Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-05-2022, 02:29 AM

Default please recommend a dock for MacBook m1 max to solve my ilok issues

Can anyone recommend a good dock for the MacBook M1 max?

I am getting ILOK issues unless I plug it directly into a port, but I cannot tie up one of my three thunderbolt ports with it unfortunately.

I understand there is an issue with docks related to sleep which has been fixed with Ventura, but even with sleep off I'm still getting connection issues via my current dock (caldigit mini).

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2022, 03:01 AM

Default Re: please recommend a dock for MacBook m1 max to solve my ilok issues

I've been using a Satechi dock with my M1Max for 6 months, works for me:

https://satechi.net/products/satechi...nt=27067045065

Got all my USB stuff inc iLok on it + ethernet as well. I'm on Monterey 12.5.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:21 AM

I'm surprised that the Caldigit dock is causing trouble as they have a good reputation, but I'm using a standard powered USB-A hub on one of my three TB ports to support iLok, USB keyboard (Nord), trackball, camera, iPhone etc. The fact that it's powered at least keeps those devices live during the problem highlighted below...

A MBP in clamshell mode with an external screen will not always stay switched on, even with all the power settings tweaked. It's very frustrating. Sometimes my machine stays awake with the external screen off for hours, but then when I hit the mouse/keyboard to bring the screen to life, I can hear that the whole machine shuts down (I get speaker clicking and my RME interface powers down and back up again). I've tried Caffeinate and various other apps and I can't stop it from happening except by avoiding letting my screen turn off altogether. So I have to quit PT before letting my screen sleep.

I've reported the problem to Apple as part of OS beta testing, but it hasn't been fixed.

Dominic
Old 12-05-2022, 07:36 AM

I'm using a CalDigit T3 with a 14" MacBook Pro with no issues...though when I close the lid to put it to sleep I log out and disconnect the T3 first.

You'd probably be served well with something simple like this:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TCDK6P2SG/
Old 12-05-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post

A MBP in clamshell mode with an external screen will not always stay switched on, even with all the power settings tweaked. It's very frustrating. Sometimes my machine stays awake with the external screen off for hours, but then when I hit the mouse/keyboard to bring the screen to life, I can hear that the whole machine shuts down (I get speaker clicking and my RME interface powers down and back up again). I've tried Caffeinate and various other apps and I can't stop it from happening except by avoiding letting my screen turn off altogether. So I have to quit PT before letting my screen sleep.

I've reported the problem to Apple as part of OS beta testing, but it hasn't been fixed.

Dominic

ah... I wasn't aware of this but that certainly makes sense of my experience - am using in clamshell mode too. Thanks!! CalDigit tech support told me that basically no dock will work properly and all will have some connection issues under Monterey, but that apple has fixed the issue with Ventura. They also said they didn't think apple would update Monterey with the fix.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr xy View Post
ah... I wasn't aware of this but that certainly makes sense of my experience - am using in clamshell mode too. Thanks!! CalDigit tech support told me that basically no dock will work properly and all will have some connection issues under Monterey, but that apple has fixed the issue with Ventura. They also said they didn't think apple would update Monterey with the fix.
That's interesting info from CalDigit. I will upgrade to Ventura just for that feature....once Avid says that PT is ok on Ventura.

Thanks

Dominic
Old 12-05-2022, 09:10 AM

Depending on your budget and how much expandability you need, the Caldigit TS4 is the best you can get from the research I've done.

I've been using the TS4 for 6+ months now with my M1 max and it is great. Loads of USB ports, thunderbolt 4, displayport, etc. I was having issues with the TS4 and my previous cheap dell usb hub where lid down mode using an external monitor would cause laptop to restart after not using, but I think apple have mostly fixed that issue in Monterey as I have not have any restarts since 12.6.

Again, not sure what your specific needs are but Ive had a lot of cheap usb hubs crap out on me over time, and eventually needed to upgrade to a dock with more ports, and the TS4, or even the TS3 are very solid. Only con is cost ($400ish) and availability. (theyve been sold out for a while, only reason I got one was I had the in stock notification on, and ordered it with minutes of getting the email)
Old 12-07-2022, 02:31 AM

Wholeheartedly recommend OWC. Been using the Thunderbolt 3 dock with M1 Pro for a few months. Whole studio runs off it no problem.