Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-14-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Conversion Quality on Bounce

On bouncing a mix, which yields a better result: Tweakhead or Best ?
Old 05-14-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Conversion Quality on Bounce

Do not bound to disk, it results in a less than perfect job, instead, Bus youe mixes to an internat track. 24/48, 24/96, then sulect the audio region , shift option K, then select tweekhead and 44.1, Choose Aiff or SD@ or what ever,choose the distination for your coversion and rock on. Thtat way you are using the full 32 bit floor intead of the 32 floating processor and your sounds/ mixes will take a major jump in quality, trust me on this one, We've A B tested it to death.!!!! Good Luck, you will sound better from now on.!! The bound to disk function was set up for quick cd references not finial mixes.

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 05-14-2005, 12:33 PM

Oh dear!
Old 05-14-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Conversion Quality on Bounce DIGI!! SAY WHAT

Confirmation on this by Digi would be in order.

Thanks for the heads up on this Kurt.
Has this always been the case?
DigiOO2 Factory
Old 05-14-2005, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Oh dear!
I love UK-humour!
Sorry, but Kurt, how can it be it is sounding better? Have you tried bounceing a track, import it, and then flip the phase? What you get (should get) is total silence. In other word, bouncing is a total copy of what you're listening to!
So by running your mix through a cable, and convert it once more it should be better? I don't get it... Explain, someone!

Tubz
Old 05-14-2005, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Do not bound to disk, it results in a less than perfect job, instead, Bus youe mixes to an internat track. 24/48, 24/96, then sulect the audio region , shift option K, then select tweekhead and 44.1, Choose Aiff or SD@ or what ever,choose the distination for your coversion and rock on. Thtat way you are using the full 32 bit floor intead of the 32 floating processor and your sounds/ mixes will take a major jump in quality, trust me on this one, We've A B tested it to death.!!!! Good Luck, you will sound better from now on.!! The bound to disk function was set up for quick cd references not finial mixes.

This is not the first time someone has made these claims. I would hope Bounce-to-disk is more accurate than the spelling above Personally I always use bounce to disk and have not noticed a quality difference and would hope Digi would get this right. I have not done the reverse phase test myself. . . you would have to line it all up sample accurate or the test means nothing.

Digi - What do you say about these claims of bounce-to-disk being sub-standard?
Old 05-14-2005, 03:04 PM

Guys, do a search on this. There is no difference. Bounce a mix (with FX printed to tracks of course), and record a mix thru a bus. Flip phase. It cancels.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY when BTD, you can choose your dither, and use a great one like pow-r dither. With 'export selected regions', you cannot.

I wont even touch on that stuff about ?? 32 bit floor ??. huh? no..
like I said, do a search on this topic. There are many useful, long threads debating this topic and you can choose for yourself.
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 05-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Avid

An internal 'record to track' and a bounce to disk will result in exactly the same file. The suggestion of placing them on 2 seperate tracks (sample aligned) and flipping the polarity on one track is a good one - you will end up with silence as the files are exactly the same and cancel each other out.

In every situation that I have heard claims like this, there was always some unaccounted factor that explained the perceived sound quality difference or, when administered in a blind listening test, the subject could not accurately identify the bounced file any more accurately than a random sampling would give.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:51 AM

Quote:
with FX printed to tracks of course
I presume this is to take into account the differences in a chorus modulation, tremlo or other FX parameters that vary with time and would mess up the phase erase test.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:32 AM

To answer the original question: Tweakhead is the MAX... AFAIK

One can also check out the archives at DAW-Mac listserve for an endless discussion of the BOUNCE IS BAD 'rumor'.

If I can save you some time, the thrust of these endless discussions seems to me to be:

If you can hear a difference in one method or the other, do it the way that sounds the best to you.

In the name of full disclosure, I am a bouncer. AND I also have unlimited respect for those with ears so good as to hear a difference and use the BOUNCE TO TRACKS method.

Fine methods, both of them.