Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2000, 02:08 AM

Default Re: PC beats MAC for plug in count!

[B]So... maxed out at nine bombfactory 1176 compressor plugs in a 24 bit, 24 track @44.1
intel 440bx.

I got 12 Bombfactory Plugins on a 24 track/24Bit session.

PIII-667 (133 FSB)
ASUS P3V4x Motherboard.
256 Meg RAM (133 FSB)

Let's see some other results, maybe from the MAC side.

Regards
M101

Old 11-07-2000, 06:02 AM

>>"What's the point of testing Bombfactory compressors on PTLE for MAC..."<<

mfym - I'm sorry if my wording was a bit ambiguous - when I stated that this test would only provide useful data if compared on a mac, I meant that I would test the BF plugs on my PC...

>>"There aren't any third party plug-ins for PC PTLE. If you know of any, please let us know."<<

Hopefully this clears things up for you a little.

hl
Old 11-07-2000, 09:53 AM

I would like to stay away from the fire, but I have to throw in these tidbits of information.

Yes Microsoft owns a lot of stock in apple. Unless things have changed over the past couple of years(which I have not heard otherwise). I do beleive part of the reason they are invested in apple is to aviod monopoly investigations, but i guess that did not work.

Second, i just read that apple is possibly (read possibly) looking into going back to cisc processors. Macs are risc, and 8086 chips are cisc. They are actually looking into investing in AMD. One of the best things about mac's is the os. It is very streamlined, and has supported multiple CPU's for years. As clock speeds get higher, and higher, on processors, you will see clock speed mean less, and dual processor support mean more. And the mac os was actually written on an 8086 based processor so porting over to 8086 chip would not be that difficult.

For those thinking hey my new macintosh with an 8086 processor will be 100% compatable with my windows box, think again. The os architecture is very different, especially in the way each os saves files (wherin many of the problems persist).

So my point in all of this, if apple is thinking about going back to cisc, then perhaps cisc is overall a better processor, since it can be clocked much higher(to make up for the risc's chips advantages). Plus the new FPU's in 8086 processors(read amd's FPU) in many cases makes up for it not being a risc chip.

It almost seems like the os is as if not more important the the processors in many cases.

Just a couple of thoughts in Apple verses PC.

Christian
Old 11-07-2000, 07:29 PM

wow, this post is still going on? i do like to read about how much people can get out of thier machines though....

my dog is still better than your dog.....

_x
Old 11-09-2000, 11:32 PM

Hi all.
I've been using both Mac and PC with different DAWs .While they both do their job fairly well ,Mac is far more supperior to PC
both qualitywise and ease of use.
I have G4 500 ,that i use Digi with and
PC powered by P III 1000mhz .
Honestly ,Mac is faster and much more stable.
And i mean "MUCH MORE".Try it for yourself and u will see the difference.
If you really into making music you should
not cut corners on things like your DAW.
All that said ,PC is great for all other tasks ,music too ,i use it for MIDI a lot
and internet ,and for making my JAVA apps(programming that is )
By the way my JBuilder IDE ,crashes
pretty often when i compile ...

Go figure
Happy tracking .
Old 11-10-2000, 04:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cyberia:
I have G4 500 ,that i use Digi with and
PC powered by P III 1000mhz .
Honestly ,Mac is faster and much more stable.
And i mean "MUCH MORE".Try it for yourself and u will see the difference.

---

I am dumbstruck........

If I show you the sun, would you also say that it is definitely nighttime?
Have you not read the tests, and comparisons, between MAC and PC as to plugin count.

As to stable.
I haven't had one single crash with my system for over 3 months of intense working on my PC.
Is that not stable?
Can you say the same on the MAC?

Read the performance specs as to plugin counts again.

Regards
M101
Old 11-12-2000, 05:10 PM

i can at least say that i like the dual monitor support on the mac better than PC. when i move either window into monitor 2, when i go to the buttons for plugins or send or whatever, it shows up on the main window all jacked up......mostly its cause the wondow display sys are jacked. mac have been doing the whole dual mon for almost as long as theyve been color, i got the matrox dual g400Max, and it work okay (its a hassle to have to drag the window to size EVERY time i open the app, but its okay, i'll live with it for now. i wish i had my 001 on a mac though, more plugin choice, more everything else like that, but for now, i run the 001 on my pIII 450 and it is smooth and solid, not a hiccup or fart....its pretty good (thats not true, i get some errors here and there) i have ****loads of ram, so that probably lets me keep things flowing, i usually record long 90min sessions....then mix down. it lets me do it. so thats good. okay, this has nothing to do with plugin count.

just remember "garbage in, garbage out" you can use all the filters and plugins you want, but we are still musicians to the core.
Old 11-12-2000, 09:59 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by garuda_x:
just remember "garbage in, garbage out" you can use all the filters and plugins you want, but we are still musicians to the core.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true.
The shorter the distance from the recording (Mic/Line/whatever source) to the Final Mix, the cleaner the signal will be, as to dithering, and degrading of audio through every sweep of FX or filter processing.

Normally, I use good Mics, microphone techniques and as little as possible processing, and also to keep the signal as digitally hot as possible.

I would not use a 120 EQ in my mixes, but you never know, one day, the need might arise, although highly unlikely!!!!!

Regards
M101