Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 06-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Default Re: I might be adding another modeler soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
blewis, a quick question:

Do you ever run the XLR outputs of the Kemper into a mixing desk? If so, do you find that you need to set the Kemper's output level really low to keep the mixer's channel strips out of clipping?
I've never been asked to turn it down for a club. I usually run it about about 8/10.

Last time I was in the studio, the guy asked me to turn it way down: 5/10.

At my computer interface, I found myself doing fine at 8 or 9/10, but then I realized I had the 20db pad on.

They must be using a pad when we play live if they've never complained.

Brandon
Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
I've never been asked to turn it down for a club. I usually run it about about 8/10.

Last time I was in the studio, the guy asked me to turn it way down: 5/10.

At my computer interface, I found myself doing fine at 8 or 9/10, but then I realized I had the 20db pad on.

They must be using a pad when we play live if they've never complained.

Brandon
Would this not depend on whether the console had a line/instrument/mic level input?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 PM

Thanks, blewis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqlw View Post
Would this not depend on whether the console had a line/instrument/mic level input?
That's why I asked. Occasionally you'll either run into a console that doesn't have a pad on the channel strip or a sound guy who'd prefer to not have line-level signals on the snake.

I have a 20 dB pad inline on my 11R setup; I'll probably do the same with the Kemper.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:47 AM

Well... I haven't run into any issues that can't be solved with the volume knobs.

TDD, I had a look at the LF forum and saw the LF+Kemper videos. Looks really nice.

I've had my eye on a LF JR+ for a while now, but seeing these videos makes me worry that a LF 12+ might be a more future proof solution.

Even the LF 12+ is small compared to my GCP. I need something that sends MIDI note messages which the GCP doesn't.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:26 AM

There's no doubt I'll own a Kemper at some point. TTD had some features he was waiting for and I've had three features I must have; Rack mount, dedicated foot controller and looper. Granted, I imagine I could get by with my midi rocktron on the floor but when I go in the direction of Kemper I might sell my tube amp and therefore most of my pedals which means I'd sell my TC Flashback x4 which I love and depend on for one song our dive bar cover band covers. I need a looper and hauling around the rather largish Flashback to use with a Kemper would be ridiculous.

With my Kemper plans I'm depending on the fact a tech 21 power engine 60 (or some other relatively flat response combo) as my stage monitor would give me a tube vibe while playing - while concurrently running the Kemper to the PA/FOH.

I'll add the only reason I'd buy a Kemper is for recording. I don't need it for playing out, as a matter of fact I prefer a mic'd amp because it's the best of all worlds. Maybe with a Kemper live I'd just mic the Power Engine lol. Anyhow, the Kemper could add amp variety live - but more amp variety live is something I really don't need.

The one thing I'd depend on with the Kemper live is that instead of distortion pedals (both physical pedals in front of the Kemper and Distortion FX within Kemper) I'd dial in amp profiles that had the varying degrees of crunch and distortion (both on neck and bridge pickups) that I need gigging.

Last edited by AvidEditor; 06-22-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-22-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
I've had my eye on a LF JR+ for a while now, but seeing these videos makes me worry that a LF 12+ might be a more future proof solution.
I was one of the early adopters of the 12+. IIUC, I have one of the first 100 production units.

I came across the LF+ while Googling for my "fantasy" controller that'd have per-button displays and lots of stateful programming capabilities. I was seriously at the point where I was either going to try to built something myself or find someone willing to design and build to my spec. Finding FAMC was a godsend. I have never been happier with a product.

The 12+ is, IMO, pretty much the sweet spot. IMO, going to the JR+ doesn't save enough space to justify the loss of switches, and the Pro+ is too big for my needs.

I take full advantage of the pages functionality. With my current programming, I have nearly 60 IAs in use. I haven't yet delved into the new software that supports up to 180 IAs.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidEditor View Post
... I've had three features I must have; Rack mount, dedicated foot controller and looper.
I'm a fan of loopers. For me, the "gold standard" is the full-blown Boomerang III rig: the III, the Sidecar and the Wholly Roller.

I have a Looperlative LP1 in my Eleven Rack rig. It's pretty good, but there are some issues regarding loop quality and noise floor.

For the KPA rig, I'll probably just wait until they implement a looper. If that's not enough, I can always run a Boomerang III package in the KPA's loop.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
I'm a fan of loopers. For me, the "gold standard" is the full-blown Boomerang III rig: the III, the Sidecar and the Wholly Roller.

I have a Looperlative LP1 in my Eleven Rack rig. It's pretty good, but there are some issues regarding loop quality and noise floor.

For the KPA rig, I'll probably just wait until they implement a looper. If that's not enough, I can always run a Boomerang III package in the KPA's loop.
I'm also a fan of looping. Our drummer refers to looping live as in the same classification as lip syncing. I think he's only half kidding - I can see that it's "cheating" but I only need it to cover rhythm for a solo in one song, is looping a big sin? Interesting subject actually.

I'm still looking forward vicariously for TDD to get his Kemper!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidEditor View Post
I'm also a fan of looping. Our drummer refers to looping live as in the same classification as lip syncing. I think he's only half kidding - I can see that it's "cheating" but I only need it to cover rhythm for a solo in one song, is looping a big sin? Interesting subject actually.
I've heard some really creative uses of live looping. One of my favorites is the way Jim Thomas of The Mermen uses it to build intros for their tunes. It's almost unnoticeable until you suddenly have to ask yourself: "Hey, where did those three other guitar parts come from?"

Quote:
I'm still looking forward vicariously for TDD to get his Kemper!
Me, too. I decided to order through the local dealer rather than Sweetwater, so I'm looking at a mid-July delivery.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:23 PM

TDD, I have a question about the liquid foot.

In Song Mode, it looks like I can program 24 presets per song.

Let's say I have a Song with Presets 1, 12, 48, 9 and I have Song programmed to start with Preset 1.

Assuming, for each Preset, I have a button programmed with Preset Up Function. (Which I believe I would ensure via Page programming):

Will the Preset Up function increment through Presets 1, 12, 48, 9 (the presets associated with this Song) or will it cause an increment of Presets 1, 2, 3, 4.

The Function Preset Up mentions that it works in Preset/Direct mode which makes me suspicious it might not work in Song mode as I would like.

Basically trying to build a "Performance Mode" into the controller to minimize buttons needed to switch Presets.