Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-15-2021, 09:19 AM

Default Application Manager Won't Start

I can not get Xpand and Boom and all those virtual instrument plugins that come with Pro Tools to load into Pro Tools. Right now, my efforts to accomplish that are being blocked because I can't even get Application Manager to open.

I have downloaded and successfully installed the most recent (and last version they say they are going to make) Application Manager (2018-10).

However, when I run it, i get the following error message (and App Manager won't go any further)

AvidApplicationManager.exe -- System Error

The program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

So I have reinstalled the Application Manager, but just get the same message.

Also, I have gone on the Internet and found MSVCR120.dll and downloaded it into my computer -- but I can not figure out where in my computer to put it so that Application Manager can find it and start up properly.

I'm guessing it should go somewhere in the C:/Programs/Avid/ApplicationManager folder -- but where exactly (which subfolder)? Or does it need to go somewhere else entirely?

Can anyone help me get this set up?

I'm on a PC running Windows 7.

Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C Program Avid folders.JPG (23.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-15-2021, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Application Manager Won't Start

Avid Application Manager was replaced by Avid Link. You can download/install that or download the Instruments Bundle installer directly from your Avid account - see avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/troubleshooting/Virtual-Instruments-missing-after-Pro-Tools-install for more info
Old 04-17-2021, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Application Manager Won't Start

Jeffro,

Thank you for your reply. I have a little bit of an unusual circumstance. I am a music journalist, and was given Pro Tools several years ago by the Avid publicist, who I had known for many years from her work at record companies.

My downloading of Pro Tools and setting up my ILok preceded me creating an Avid account (by at least a couple years if I recall). So my Avid account is actually empty. There are no downloads and products listed -- not even products I had downloaded in the past, or been given access to. That publicist is no longer with Avid, and I haven't yet reached out to the new publicist, who I have never worked with before.

I dabbled in home recording with Pro Tools over the past few years, but now have more time to devote to it.

Being primarily a rock guitar player, I never paid any attention to virtual instruments until recently -- because now I am trying to help my two college age kids get their music recorded, and all the cool VI beats and MIDI sounds are more relevant to their music than mine. That's why I am now interested in getting all the AIR VI's working in my Pro Tools 12.

I clearly downloaded those AIR Vi's when I initially downloaded and installed Pro Tools 12, which was 2015. Xpand and Boom and all the others are in a folder in my computer that I did not create. It must have downloaded these and created that folder as an automatic part of my clicking on the download link the Avid publicist provided to me.

I never even noticed that folder or its contents until a few weeks ago when I started trying to get these VIs working. The files in those folders are all .PIM files, which I believe stands for Plug-In Mapping. They might be zipped, or some form of zipped, I can't figure that out. Everything I see online says Pro Tools should be able to open them, but without the Application Manager working, I can't even try that.

Whether or not a .pim version of Xpand is actually the VI, or just some fraction of it, I will deal with later. If I determine that I don't actually have the REAL VIs, and that a .pim file really isn't going to give me access to a working version of the VIs, that's fine, I'll deal with that one way or another.

For now, I just want to try to fix Application Manager.

I get that Avid has moved on to a newer technology, Avid Link. I probably would be interested in that in the future, but for now would rather just get this .dll file into the right location and see where that takes me.

Can you tell me where I should put that file?

Thanks,

Adam