Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-26-2022, 10:35 AM

Default Atmos file that can be heard on iOS with head tracking, not possible?

As far as I can tell it’s not possible to hear an Atmos test mix on an iPhone with Airpods Pro using Spatial Audio with head tracking. Is this true?

I’ve done my mix, exported the ADM BWF file, opened it in the Atmos renderer and saved as an MP4.

Now I open that MP4 and it’s a binaural playback without head tracking.

Been working on this for months and somehow no one knows how to make a test mix to actually hear what the end listener will hear.

Any ideas?

PTU, Big Sur
Old 01-26-2022, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Atmos file that can be heard on iOS with head tracking, not possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rufuss Sewell View Post
As far as I can tell it’s not possible to hear an Atmos test mix on an iPhone with Airpods Pro using Spatial Audio with head tracking. Is this true?

I’ve done my mix, exported the ADM BWF file, opened it in the Atmos renderer and saved as an MP4.

Now I open that MP4 and it’s a binaural playback without head tracking.

Been working on this for months and somehow no one knows how to make a test mix to actually hear what the end listener will hear.

Any ideas?

PTU, Big Sur
There is no head tracking in Atmos or with Spatial Audio. If you do an ambisonic 360 mix then there would be head tracking.
Here's an article explaining the difference between binaural and ambisonic

https://decibelpeak.com/ambisonic-vs-binaural/
Old 01-26-2022, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Atmos file that can be heard on iOS with head tracking, not possible?

If you save the mp4 to icloud or dropbox and then open it using the "Files" app on an IOS device for playback, you will get head tracking with airpods pro. It's a little weird at first, but I personally don't like the spatial audio processing without it.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:11 PM

Default Atmos file that can be heard on iOS with head tracking, not possible?

It’s “head-tracking” In the sense that the audio will raise and lower in your ears depending on which way you turn your head but it’s not true 360 ambisonic movement. Yes, Apple has implemented this feature into AirPods with Spatial Audio but there is no way to adjust or accommodate for it in the Atmos mixes.

Just to be clear. Dolby Atmos and Apple Spatial Audio are not the same thing.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:21 PM

When I turn my head to the right, anything that I panned the rear becomes much more noticeable in my right ear, and anything that was in the center when looking forward, moves to the left. I know it’s not the same as listening in my atmos room, but they’re working on it and getting there with it. The hard part is that it is different from atmos and apple keeps changing it. Also, I don’t think the consumer has this capability with Apple Music yet.

Last edited by thebeatless; 01-27-2022 at 05:43 AM.