How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2014, 04:54 PM

Default External cue to headphones

Hi!

I'm brand new at mixing on a Avid Venue, I'm trying to accomplish a trick I do on a Yamaha PM1D, when mixing monitors I'm patching a external cue into a 2 track In ( dry ClearCom, output of RTS Intercom...etc ) and I assign this input to my control room so every time someone reach to me on the intercom I can hear them what ever I'm doing, listening to a channel in PFL or mixing a full mix.

I've went trough the Avid Venue and I can't find a way to do it, any clue? The 2 track In can only put trough physical faders or output, there is no option I can send it to the Control Room, in my case headphones or IEM.

If you have any clue, get back to me.

Pascal
Old 09-05-2014, 06:43 PM

Default Re: External cue to headphones

Connect an AES jumper cable from the output of 2track AES back to its own input. Then patch your monitor output to AES 2trk, then create a stereo input channel called CUE to the AES in. Route this channel (only) to the L/R bus. At this point your solo bus level control is on the master fader. Now patch a stereo matrix to the physical outputs that you are listening to. In the matrix mixer, put LR bus at unity. Now your solo is driving out the matrix. Finally, use the user assign channels within the matrix page to add any "always on" channels you require (radio, talkback etc).
The LR fader will control solo bus levels before the user channels are added so they will never drop out, plus if someone is talking to you, you can drop the fader and hear them more clearly.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 PM

Also that won't work for the headphone out, no ideas there except an external headphone amp.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BieliMishka View Post
Hi!

I'm brand new at mixing on a Avid Venue, I'm trying to accomplish a trick I do on a Yamaha PM1D, when mixing monitors I'm patching a external cue into a 2 track In ( dry ClearCom, output of RTS Intercom...etc ) and I assign this input to my control room so every time someone reach to me on the intercom I can hear them what ever I'm doing, listening to a channel in PFL or mixing a full mix.

I've went trough the Avid Venue and I can't find a way to do it, any clue? The 2 track In can only put trough physical faders or output, there is no option I can send it to the Control Room, in my case headphones or IEM.

If you have any clue, get back to me.

Pascal
Hi, I'm not using this feature myself, so I might be a little off, but I think it's quite nicely implemented into Venue system, there is a dedicated COM port in the FOH rack. From manual:

Com Mic, Gain Control, and Phantom Power
The Com Mic connector and controls allow connection of a
mic, or a line level source. The Com Mic input is a female
XLR/TRS connector that accepts XLR or TRS jacks. The Gain
control operates in steps of 3 dB. Phantom power may be applied
to the Com mic with the Mic Power switch.

Do not connect an intercom system directly to the Com
input, as some intercom systems use a signalling voltage
which can damage the FOH IO card.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:04 AM

Com might work if you routed it using "route to selected", as that routing bypasses just about everything
Old 09-06-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Lind View Post
Com might work if you routed it using "route to selected", as that routing bypasses just about everything
Doesn't COM get automatically routed to the monitor bus?
Old 09-06-2014, 08:23 AM

It does not. I typically use it for my talkback and it works like any channel, except you can also route it with RTS
Old 09-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Lind View Post
It does not. I typically use it for my talkback and it works like any channel, except you can also route it with RTS
Manual kind of gives another impression:

Using the Intercom (“Com”)
The Intercom (“Com”) input on the Mix Rack or FOH Rack
can accept input from any compatible dynamic or condenser
microphone.

When activated, the Intercom signal is mixed into the Monitor
bus after the source selectors in the Solo/PFL selection, so
is audible no matter what source (AFL/PFL, 2-Track, or Main
Mix) is sent to the Monitor bus.
The Intercom signal can also be routed to any input or FX return
channel.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:48 AM

Interesting. It definitely doesn't do that by default, but it sounds like there is a way. I personally still prefer the user channel method as I usually need multiple "always on" channels, but I'll have to try that out
Old 09-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Avid

press the Listen/Freq encoder in the Profile Talkback/Osc section so the teardrop LED at the bottom of the encoder LED ring is lit to activate listenback (and inject the COMM signal)

Make sure to turn it off when you're not using it, especially if the COMM input is disconnected as this will allow unterminated noise to pass into the headphone.. (why are my auxes so noisy when cue'ing )