Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-14-2021, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Really frustrating problem.

Thank you folks. Just as soon as I get back in there I will check those things out.

Much appreciated!
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 09-15-2021, 02:06 PM

You guys are on to something I think.

Firstly.....I now have a feeling the problem is with Drumcore and I have reached out to their support.

As far as Pro Tools......it seems to be saving some files or folders to my Documents as you guys mentioned. I'm sure this is not correct.

Here is a PT folder in Documents.No Audio Files folder but everything else.

Here is a shot of my PT Preferences showing the location as Documents.

Here is what I see when I click Option-O. Note that it shows the Drumcore loop file under Session Audio Files but it is not actually in the session folder/audio files.

I did a Spotlight search and found Drumcore is saving these loops in a Render folder inside a Drumcore folder in my Documents.

So at this point in time my question is.......Is Pro Tools saving stuff to the right place or do I need to change the location as seen in the preferences picture?
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Old 09-16-2021, 08:13 AM

Is this a Project or a Session?? Do you by chance have "Desktop & Documents Folders" checked in iCloud preferences? Lastly, what does your Disk Allocation window say?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 09-16-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
You guys are on to something I think.

Firstly.....I now have a feeling the problem is with Drumcore and I have reached out to their support.

As far as Pro Tools......it seems to be saving some files or folders to my Documents as you guys mentioned. I'm sure this is not correct.

Here is a PT folder in Documents.No Audio Files folder but everything else.

Here is a shot of my PT Preferences showing the location as Documents.

Here is what I see when I click Option-O. Note that it shows the Drumcore loop file under Session Audio Files but it is not actually in the session folder/audio files.

I did a Spotlight search and found Drumcore is saving these loops in a Render folder inside a Drumcore folder in my Documents.

So at this point in time my question is.......Is Pro Tools saving stuff to the right place or do I need to change the location as seen in the preferences picture?
In Answer to the last question What you are seeing in your Preference > Operations tab is the default and is the correct location for those folders , and so the folders in your Documents >Pro Tools folder,,, are correct....
I have exactly the same thing showing in both . Those Items are general preference related and not tied to specific sessions Like the session "Audio files" are.

As far as I can tell you seem to be having two different issues.

#1 the drum loop does not seem to be importing/and or saving as a usable audio file format ( the screen shot is pretty fuzzy of your workspace ) but I think the drum loop file should be showing as a WAV or AIFF etc. in order to be saved to the session audio files folder

#2 the guitar showing up and playing back and showing in the Audio Files folder, and then disappearing ( That is strange and seems like it could be saving issue ) And to be clear when you save, you are using just "Save" not "Save As" or "Save Copy In " correct ?

Also to clarify when you first launch PT is the destination showing in your Dashboard the correct destination where your session folders are stored ? Red arrow below.

(Hint when you use Imgur for screen shots for the code select size "Large Thumbnail " rather than Original and they will not appear so big on this page )

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-16-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:25 PM

Firstly....thank you everyone for the help so far. It is greatly appreciated!

Rich Breen
Disc Allocation says it is saving to my external drive named Pro Tools Sessions as selected in the Location at the bottom of the Dashboard when creating a session.

Desktop & Documents Folder is NOT checked at iCloud Preferences>iCloud Drive. Should it be?

Thanks Rich.

K Roche

First...sorry about the pics being huge. I had set them to large thumbnail not original and did that because of all the text and the fact Imgur makes images blurry. I wanted people to be able to read them. And when I tried double clicking them to see if they went to original file....nothing happened.

Thank you for pointing out my Operation Preference is set correctly. Now I can discount that. I use Save as I go and when closing a session when it asks I always choose Save. For that one time I'm willing to concede I hit Don't Save and lost the guitar track....in all the frustration. It never happened again.

Drum loops are .WAV files.

Yes the Location is and has always been set as my external hard drive "Pro Tools Sessions" except for one time I tried Desktop to rule out a drive problem. Back to PT Sessions again now.

Thanks Kev!

UPDATE!!!!

In searching for information on Disc Allocation, a video at PT Expert mentioned something in the first few seconds that is critical. Under PT Preferences>Processing......there is a checkbox 'Automatically Copy Files On Import' which he said should be checked and mine WAS NOT!

I checked this and created a new track. I left the previous tester track with the Drumcore Loops in the session. Made the track, opened an insert of Drumcore.......dragged in a loop and played it. Then I looked in the session folder in Audio Files.........and it was there! YAY!!

BUT.......when I went to play it a second time it would not! So now the file is where it should be but it will still only play the first audition of it.

Since I did not need the original instance of the Drumcore plugin on the first track of drum loops........I hit No Insert and got rid of it. Imagine my surprise when I hit play and it started playing. Even though there are no files for that drum track in the audio files......it was playing. (So PT knows where it is.)

So I did the same for the second track that I had dragged loops into that only played back once. As soon as that Drumcore plugin was removed from the Insert section.....the track played just fine.

So......checking 'Automatically Copy Files On Import' sorted out the files not going into the audio file folder. √

Removing the Drumcore plugin after importing the loops....sorted the playback problem. √ Except how do I create and edit a track of lots of different loops if that track will only play the first loop once and then no playback?
Still waiting on Drumcore Support and I will update them too.

Any further ideas are welcome.

Sorry for the long posts. I want to be as clear as I can and not miss out any steps.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Old 09-17-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Drum loops are .WAV files.

Any further ideas are welcome.

OK couple more thoughts (and this may not have anything to do with it) But

#1 Since Drumcore Loops are WAV files then it seems strange to me that in the screen shot of your Workspace window, the Drumcore file does not appear to have the .WAV suffix (unless the name is simply too long for the name column ?)

#2 I also noticed that in the screen shot back on the first page that the Guitar Track was showing in the Audio Files folder as an .Aif file And although PT is supposed to auto convert an audio file to the session Audio file format when drag and drop ,,,,So I am wondering if your session is set to .Aif and you drag and drop a Drumcore WAV file if it is not converting ?? (I don't remember if auto conversion for drag and drop is something you can select in your PT preferences but you might check and see
OR......................
What I do set my PT sessions to be WAV rather than the PT default AIFF or .Aif

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-17-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
...Desktop & Documents Folder is NOT checked at iCloud Preferences>iCloud Drive. Should it be?
Depends on whether or not you want that functionality, but it can play absolute havoc with PT sessions if they're in either of those locations (such as audio files seeming to disappear, sessions not playing, etc), hence the question, though it doesn't seem like this is the issue for you.

Sounds like you're getting this sorted - sorry, I have zero ideas about Drumcore.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 09-17-2021, 02:42 PM

I also don’t know anything about Drumcore (haven’t actually heard of it), but at a quick glance looking at your screenshots - if it is a VI, it is likely that placing it on an Audio Track will ‘intercept’ any audio files placed on that track. Unlike a typical insert plugin such as EQIII, which would receive and pass on any incoming audio, a VI won’t be expecting incoming audio, so won’t have an input path, and will essentially block it.

This is all completely hypothetical, so my apologies if I’m totally off the mark here, but could it be the case that the first time you are hearing the drum loop, it is some kind of preview being played by Drumcore, and you aren’t in fact hearing any audio from the actual track until you remove the Drumcore insert?
Old 09-18-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
In searching for information on Disc Allocation, a video at PT Expert mentioned something in the first few seconds that is critical. Under PT Preferences>Processing......there is a checkbox 'Automatically Copy Files On Import' which he said should be checked and mine WAS NOT!

I checked this and created a new track. I left the previous tester track with the Drumcore Loops in the session. Made the track, opened an insert of Drumcore.......dragged in a loop and played it. Then I looked in the session folder in Audio Files.........and it was there! YAY!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
there is a preference to Copy Files on Import that might need to be enabled to copy the drum loop to the Audio Files folder.
Yeah, that was litteraly the first thing I suggested you do...

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 09-18-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Desktop & Documents Folder is NOT checked at iCloud Preferences>iCloud Drive. Should it be?
If you want those two folders to be cloned to icloud and automatically updated, then yes.
The most important and extremely important setting in iCloud settings is "Optimize mac storage" (or whatever it says in english). If you enable this option, you risk that Mac OS decides that files in the apps and folders selected to use iCloud, typically those that's not been used in a while, will NOT BE PRESENT ON YOUR HD, and only reside in the cloud, to save disk space. You normally don't want that.