Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2011, 01:50 PM

Default HD9 to HD10 upgrade experience (license ONLY)

Bought an HD9 license +iLok off eBay to save money this past summer. Having just left college, $2000+ in Canada for the CPTK was not an option.

After having no luck with a few Canadian distributors all with slightly different info, I called Sweetwater. A week of stories later, they eventually got back to me with "No hardware serial, no upgrade...we think" and refunded me. (taking money from an international client before being absolutely sure the upgrade would work is a different issue...I lost 50 bucks on the currency exchange. I was as forward and clear with them as one could possibly be about the upgrade.)

Quick trip to eBay, bought an HD8 to HD10 upgrade...iLok and Avid.com license upgrade was flawless. Total cost = $600 (sound familiar?) Total time: 15 minutes.

Pro Tools 10 is certainly faster and much more snappy than 9, loving the disk caching! Oh my, the bugs though! Outputs muting randomly, plugin workarounds for the new Audiosuite workflow (legacy mode button would have made that easier) and weird graphics issues I didn't have with 9 (waveforms not showing at certain zooms.) If I had paid $1000, I would be questioning life itself . I'm pretty annoyed as is, but patiently waiting for patches with everyone else. Hopefully in a year we'll be laughing about this.

I've been using Pro Tools since version 6, it is my main DAW. I don't want to think about switching, I'd rather just be getting work done...

Early 2011 i7 MBP.