Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2002, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD - Not Impressed

I was told that Logic 5 will ship with HD support. It just wasn't quite ready to show for NAMM.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:11 PM

Since Logic 5 is supposed to be shipping at the end of January, that sounds pretty awesome...
Old 01-22-2002, 10:04 PM

If you're buying a new system today, then by all means get the newest thing. Go HD. If you already have an expanded Mix system, it becomes a bit more complicated to decide what to do. Right now, I'm thinking that I'll wait a few months and see what's working and how support for Mix goes. As of now, the Mix is still a current system Is'nt it? And Digi seems to think it's pretty valuable, given their trade in allowance. You can run 5.1.1 on all of the Digi hardware, can't you? 001, PT 24, Mix??? Why would they shut us all out from future upgrades? I did a vocal session at a post house here in LA last week. It was an ISDN patch from New York. The studio was $300 per hour. The Pro Tools system was PT 24!

Sometimes the gear matters less than you think.

Steve
Old 01-23-2002, 07:08 AM

Those are wise words Steve.

The fear of possibly "being left behind" is a powerful, but not always a smart, motivator.

For me (mix plus),on balance, the system seems worth the UG. But it's a close call.

Digi have discounted the current mood I think. I wonder whether their strategy is to consciously do this because they think they know best long term (let's hope they do).

Renie
Old 01-23-2002, 07:26 AM

I haven't found any good reasons why to upgrade yet either.

I won't get more DSP power since the 2 additional vintage farms that I have to my MIX Cube will be desolete.

Perhaps the new interfaces sounds much better...but only time will tell.

BTW, does anyone know if you can have more than one of the old interfaces connected to the legacy port? I haven't found any info on if it's possible to make a setup of for example one HD 192k and three 888/24.

-Robert
Old 01-23-2002, 09:06 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Robert U:
BTW, does anyone know if you can have more than one of the old interfaces connected to the legacy port? I haven't found any info on if it's possible to make a setup of for example one HD 192k and three 888/24.

-Robert
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
With a Y cable you can hook up 2 "legacy" interfaces for a total of 16 channels extra.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:03 PM

I spent the better part of last year getting the Mix+ rig running flawless with the G4/733 and I'm happy that I'm in the creative mode again. I'm in no rush to play guinea pig beta tester again, especially now that new hardware is out and system software around the corner. I'm sure the benefits will be great in the future at some point, at least there's a digi interface that sounds better than the 888/24, now how hard was that digi? I'm a gear whore like everyone here but just weary from the last round of frustrations. I'm going to give the third party peoples (and digi too) a chance to catch up and deliver the goods - which should be about a year or so. . To each their own... good luck.

Ramin Sakurai
"former guinea pig beta tester, currently a patient observer of soon to be guinea pig beta testers" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]