Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-25-2002, 11:36 AM

Default Notes disappear when I try to edit Them!

When I try to edit midi notes in this one project, only at the first beat of the 5th measure, the note disappears. Please help.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Notes disappear when I try to edit Them!

I had strange things happening to me with midi tracks when trying to edit notes near a region boundary : all I need to do to correct this is to consolidate regions in to one big one. (may not be your problem, just a guess...)

Maybe this thread is relevant

web page
Old 01-25-2007, 02:34 PM

I have the same problem I select a whole row of notes

And when I drag them down after an octave the note I'm holding to drag disappears

I have to move them in small increments

M-Power 7.1 WinTel Laptop
Old 01-27-2007, 08:25 PM

Hmmm...I am just about to post a possibly related issue with quantization...my midi data seems to "disappear" in a different scenario:
The moment I "quantize" midi data to a grid or a groove - the note lengths default to something like 1/128th notes - so they pretty much sound like digital pops- if they play at all !!!
I have to then manually add note durations to full lengths if I still want to hear them. I also have an issue with first notes in a sequence - they don't seem to playback well. Pesky behavior of PT v7.3cs1 indeed. Anyone experienceing this as well? Any remedies? (This happens on both virtual instruments and exterior midi gear.

BTMGMUSIC
Old 01-28-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I have the same problem I select a whole row of notes

And when I drag them down after an octave the note I'm holding to drag disappears

I have to move them in small increments

M-Power 7.1 WinTel Laptop

NuBus, If you're having the problem I think you're having there are several workarounds.

In prefs setup change the way PT colour codes tracks and regions so that it is not based on the MIDI channel, as it turns out there are only a few colours that don't become invisible when selected (in other words, if you set "default track colour" to "group" and "default region colour" to "track" the regions will default to black & white and you can easily change the track colour to one of the three usable colours on an individual basis or by grouping them).

The other way is to re-save all your old PT6 sessions in the new PT7 format, trash prefs etc and never open the old PT6 sessions again, only the PT7 versions.

If you look on This thread you should find more info re: usable colours etc.

Quote:
I also have an issue with first notes in a sequence - they don't seem to playback well.

Yeah I'm having a similar problem (still on PT7.1cs10) if I group a bunch of regions then repeat them the first note on the repeat often doesn't sound.

If I then ungroup, PT seems to have invented an overlap and extended the last region in the original into the first region of the repeat.

If I cut or trim the extended region to the grid, it deletes the last note, if I then trim it back to reveal the note again, it extends the region beyond the end of the note and into the next region. So I end up having to pencil in the last note manually which is a pain, but usually works.

If I get the time in the next couple of days I'll see if I can figure out if it's a bug with Region Groups or Repeat function in combination with the grid scale or quantise value.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:06 PM

This seems to be a never ending thing with PT MIDI. Even from version 5.x, I've seen it to where the first note will disappear when trying to move it in various increments, or I should say it goes away when you finally get the note where you want it. Also if I change the view to regions, and cut one section (2 bars ex.) and copy drag the region, almost every time I move it there is at least one note missing. What's the point of cutting the notes if they don't stay together. Some have mentioned changing the grid to 64th notes, and pulling the note to make sure it's on the beat, but cant they just be seperated where you cut them and then be moved accordingly?
Someday....
Old 02-25-2007, 10:32 AM

I've been seeing this on occasion since 7.2 and the work around I've found for it is when it happens, change to slip mode and put the note in the perfect position. It no longer disappears for me and I can continue working.
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 02-25-2007, 11:27 AM

Does the note stay when you duplicate the MIDI regions?
Very annoying, especially when doing drums, and the kick
drum disappears.