Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2021, 02:21 PM

Default No response from tracks when trying to playback or record

Hello,
newbie here working on my first project. I've got a few tracks setup, one I imported from file, plus a couple guitar tracks for each section I'm working on. I was recording and listening back and everything was going smooth until all of a sudden - while working outside the app for a few minutes - the audio in my headphones went dead. You know how there is a sound, even when your not recording or playing back? That went totally mute. All the buttons seem to respond when I click on them (record-enable, play, stop etc.) and the line under the blue arrow in the mix window is blinking. But when I hit play or record - nothing happens.

I had to save the project, and close PTF. When I re-opened it I was fine.

Any thoughts on why this would happen?

Pro Tools | First
M-Audio M-Track Solo (USB)
Experience Level - newbie

HP Elitebook 840 G5
Windows 10 build 1909
RAM - 8GB
CPU - Intel Core i5-8250U @ 1.60GHz
SSD - 128GB Internal
Old 04-06-2021, 12:26 PM

Default Re: No response from tracks when trying to playback or record

Total guess here, but I suspect you lost communication with the interface. How can this happen? I see 2 possible ways:
#1-you did not disable Power Management on all USB ports(aka USB Root Hub in Device Manager).
#2-you are allowing Windows to use the interface as the "default playback device". Doing this can prevent Pro Tools from full access to the interface. The best practice for Windows users is to set Windows Sound Properties so that Windows uses the on-board sound card(Realtek?) as the default playback device(which gives Pro Tools total control of the interface).

BTW, sometimes a Windows 10 update will reset both these system tweaks back to the setting you DON'T want

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave