Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-28-2022, 09:38 AM

Default Pro Tools Intro (free)

Not clear to me if this is cloud-based or if there are unlimited local saves, but I think it's the latter.

Pro Tools Intro Features

Pro Tools Intro™ is a free, feature-reduced version of Pro Tools designed to introduce you to the Pro Tools product line. Visit www.avid.com to register, download, and install Pro Tools Intro. Pro Tools Intro lets you create beats, record performances, and have fun making music with the same tools used by professionals. Pro Tools Intro provides all the essential audio and MIDI tools you need to produce your own music and includes 36 core effects and instrument plug-ins.

All Pro Tools subscriptions and trials automatically default to Pro Tools Intro upon expiration, ensuring that you have some limited capabilities even if your license or trial expires.

Pro Tools Intro software provides the following capabilities, depending on your hardware configuration:

• Up to 4 channels of I/O depending on your system and audio hardware
• Up to a total of 8 mono or stereo audio tracks per session at all sample rates
• Up to 4 Auxiliary Input or Routing Folder tracks
• 1 Master Fader track
• Up to 8 MIDI tracks
• Up to 8 Instrument tracks
• 16-bit, 24-bit, or 32-bit floating point audio
• Support for sample rates up to 192 kHz
• Automatic Delay Compensation (up to 16,383 samples at 48 kHz)
• Non-destructive, random-access editing and mix automation
• Audio processing with up to 10 real-time plug-ins per track, depending on your computer’s capabilities
• Up to 10 sends per track

Pro Tools Intro and Pro Tools | First Projects
If you have been using Pro Tools | First and plan to continue with Pro Tools Intro, be sure to save any cloud-based projects as local sessions. While you will still have 1 GB of Cloud space that will continue to host your Pro Tools | First projects, Pro Tools Intro does not support the creation of any new projects (unless you purchase an Avid Cloud plan). This means that you cannot create your own projects, but you can still be invited by others to collaborate on their projects.

https://resources.avid.com/SupportFi...ols_2022.9.pdf

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-28-2022, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Intro (free)

A big unknown (alongside confirmation that Intro allows unlimited local saved sessions) is if it supports third party AAX files.

Obviously it's very limited - hey, it's free - but it might have some genuine uses such as mastering if it has third party support. And it is perfect for learning the software.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-28-2022, 10:03 AM

I don't believe there is a limit on the number of local sessions with Intro.
Intro does support cloud collaboration but does not come with free storage like First did. You will have to purchase a cloud storage plan if you want to create projects with Intro.

System Details
Old 09-28-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
A big unknown (alongside confirmation that Intro allows unlimited local saved sessions) is if it supports third party AAX files.

Obviously it's very limited - hey, it's free - but it might have some genuine uses such as mastering if it has third party support. And it is perfect for learning the software.
Yes, Intro supports third party plug-ins and does not force you to buy them through the Marketplace like First did.

System Details
Old 09-28-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Yes, Intro supports third party plug-ins and does not force you to buy them through the Marketplace like First did.
That’s a HUGE improvement all round then. Maybe this product will last longer than a wine gum.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-28-2022, 11:15 AM

It is a fallback curtain for people who somehow forget to re-subscribe. Very limited by today's standards but wow if I had had this option 30 years ago it would have been next to god.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:33 AM

Some possible applications:

Pro Tools Expert correctly points out Intro would be perfect for podcasts. Audio books too - these are now pretty big markets.

Some music people who work with other DAWs have to deliver stems as a Pro Tools session. Obviously they’d be limited to 8 stems (or less if you’re using a print track), but it might just work for some people.

I can see band members or remote contributors using it. Never mind the fancy stuff of collaboration mode, you could do it rough and ready just using a guide track, then dropbox your session.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-28-2022, 11:51 AM

I've been playing with the idea of going to an Artist subscription and selling my Studio perpetual w/reinstallment, as I'm only using PT for fun these days and there might be periods where I would let the subscription expire. If I was able to use my 3rd party AAX on PT Intro, that would be another reason to go sub. For me.

It'll be a good while anyway, because I'm perfectly fine where I am now. Maybe when the next generation macs come, and I'm forced into another big jump in OS version.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:02 PM

Is it possible to do playlists with this?
Old 09-28-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandybob View Post
Is it possible to do playlists with this?
Yes.