Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 01-26-2023, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Avid Control Frequently Disconnecting with Silicon Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Network ports on new Mac are notoriously unreliable. Turn off power saving and set the speed from auto to fixed. This might help.
For me the "network" is coming off a Sonnet AVB (Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Controller) adapter (built-in network port is used for a Carbon). Should I set that Sonnet speed manually as well? That connection goes to an unmanaged Netgear gigabit switch that also connects to the S1, but the Fire Tablet is Wi-Fi off my home router. I'd point fingers at that, but it was fine on my old Mac Pro pre-PT 2022.12. Also, fwiw Computer Wi-Fi is (and has always been) off.

Downloading the new EuCon update. Mildly excited!

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro

Last edited by massivekerry; 01-26-2023 at 11:28 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-26-2023, 12:03 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
Thanks for the reply. Can you clarify what you mean by "set the speed from auto to fixed"? I'm not familiar with that setting and where to find it.
All network adapters have a speed setting. Auto, 100mb, 1GB, 10GB. By default they are set to auto, but what happens is that if the cable is not up to spec, or too long, or.....the system switches between speeds to make things work better. This causes the network to stop briefly...and causes problems for EUCON. On Mac look in the Ethernet prefs/Advanced button
Old 01-26-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
All network adapters have a speed setting. Auto, 100mb, 1GB, 10GB. By default they are set to auto, but what happens is that if the cable is not up to spec, or too long, or.....the system switches between speeds to make things work better. This causes the network to stop briefly...and causes problems for EUCON. On Mac look in the Ethernet prefs/Advanced button
Thanks for that. Does avid, or you personally, have any specific settings you'd recommend? There's quite a list of options and sub-options here all coded in networking lingo. Is there something you'd recommend for a stable configuration?

Keep in mind, the device in my system that's connected over ethernet (S1), works fine. The issue is with my Avid Control iPad which is connected over wifi.

Some more specific info on my configuration:

There's a dedicated router for Avid stuff.
Host computer connects over ethernet to the router
S1 connects over ethernet to the router
iPad Connects to the router's wifi network
Host computer does not connect to router's wifi
Avid Control is the only device on this router's wifi
This router does not connect to the internet

We have a separate router and wifi for the internet, which is connected via wifi and ethernet from the host computer.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:34 AM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks for that. Does avid, or you personally, have any specific settings you'd recommend? There's quite a list of options and sub-options here all coded in networking lingo. Is there something you'd recommend for a stable configuration?

Keep in mind, the device in my system that's connected over ethernet (S1), works fine. The issue is with my Avid Control iPad which is connected over wifi.

Some more specific info on my configuration:

There's a dedicated router for Avid stuff.
Host computer connects over ethernet to the router
S1 connects over ethernet to the router
iPad Connects to the router's wifi network
Host computer does not connect to router's wifi
Avid Control is the only device on this router's wifi
This router does not connect to the internet

We have a separate router and wifi for the internet, which is connected via wifi and ethernet from the host computer.
Have you checked out all the recommendations here? https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ontrol-Support
Old 01-27-2023, 08:36 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
For me the "network" is coming off a Sonnet AVB (Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Controller) adapter (built-in network port is used for a Carbon). Should I set that Sonnet speed manually as well? That connection goes to an unmanaged Netgear gigabit switch that also connects to the S1, but the Fire Tablet is Wi-Fi off my home router. I'd point fingers at that, but it was fine on my old Mac Pro pre-PT 2022.12. Also, fwiw Computer Wi-Fi is (and has always been) off.

Downloading the new EuCon update. Mildly excited!
What exactly is your issue. Can you look in the My Surface tab and see whether its the S1 or Tablet going away?
Old 01-27-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
What exactly is your issue. Can you look in the My Surface tab and see whether its the S1 or Tablet going away?
It was definitely the tablet. I'd point a finger at the WiFi, but I haven't seen this issue since the Eucon 2022.12 update yesterday. It "felt" like something with Pro Tools (like when PT sometimes has crashed when I'm trying to do too much, too fast, all at once) but I will keep an eye on it for now, and if it pops up again, I will try to document what was going on, and see if there's a consistent set of circumstances or results.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 01-29-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Have you checked out all the recommendations here? https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ontrol-Support
Yes I have. I however didn't see anything specifically referring to the network speed settings you were referring to.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:16 AM
Avid

Quote:
Yes I have. I however didn't see anything specifically referring to the network speed settings you were referring to.
Correct. You asked for any specific settings, these are on that link. I can't tell you or know what speed your router/switch is or how good your cabling is. You have to find that out and then set it up to match.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:59 AM

The router we're using is a TP-Link Archer A6. It's capable of gigabit ethernet speed. I've done network speed tests using a 2nd computer attached over the LAN and can confirm that it can reach these speeds. The ethernet cables are 7 foot long Cat 6a cables of a good quality from a distributor we trust. We use these same cables for a Dolby Atmos RMU and have had no connectivity or speed issues. We're connecting from the host computer to the router from the ethernet port on an OWC thunderbolt 3 hub.

I've gone ahead and entered some manual speed settings into my network settings on the host computer based on the info I have on my network and its capabilities. Screenshot is attached. I've also verified that I've done all of the troubleshooting steps recommended in the articles you've posted. I'm also updated to EuControl and Avid Control 2022.12 on the host computer and the iPad respectively. After about 1.5 hrs of work today I'm unfortunately getting identical results as I was before. (Avid control occasionally freezing / showing no meters. Close/reopen of the app kicks it back into gear)

I'll also note I've also had this identical behaviour on a different router, and on 2 other Apple Silicon notebook computers. The only system that did not have this problem was a 2018 Intel Mac mini 6-core running Catalina.

Thanks again for your attention on this. I do have a ticket open and this is mostly intended to function as a cross-post so this information is publicly available for others running into the same problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 12.47.25 PM.jpg (24.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by audiogamble; 01-29-2023 at 10:00 AM. Reason: image attachment
Old 01-29-2023, 10:04 AM

One other bit of info I add. When the problem is occurring, there isn't the Eucon Logo with the exclamation mark in the corner of my Avid Control screen. Perhaps implying that it's still connected to the host computer, but not communicating properly somehow?