Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-11-2022, 01:54 AM

Default Protools 11 requires network card disabled

Protools 11 all of a sudden needs a network card disabled to not hang and crash and for scrubbing and playback to work. Enabling and disabling the card causes blue screens after a while.

This crashes waves and ilok licensing. The fools use a mac address so licences "disconnect" if network interfaces are switched or disabled. You have to load waveshell first before disabling.

How to avoid ?
Old 04-11-2022, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Protools 11 requires network card disabled

It will freeze the process with a "not responding" every 30 seconds or there abouts which reeks Ilok / Waves license polling. It will timeout and become unusable.

It causes all kinds of problems disabling the network before a session is loaded including disconnectiong from ASIO RME audio. Such a big trouble, I believe even the latest Protools has the same problem.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:27 AM

Focus on fixing the original problem, sounds fairly unusual. "All of a sudden"--what changed? What exact version of Windows? You got EUCON or something else happening over Ethernet? How exactly are you "disabling" the network card? Pro Tools 11 hangs and crashes how? What exactly do you see happen? What exact errors on the screen etc. if any? What network card--Ethernet? Wifi? What exact card and driver? What exact blue screens are you getting? Post a Sandra report. Start at "Help Us Help You" up the top of each DUC web page for the kind of info you should provide and standard troubleshooting steps.

Nobody is going to have discussions here on anything that might touch on circumventing licensing.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:58 AM

And specifically...

I would be extremely surprised that having a network card driver installed/running can cause Pro Tools to do anything, crash or otherwise. You should be able to have the driver enabled in device manager and just the networking configured to not use that interface. In Networking Properties control panel for that interface try seeing what happens when you uncheck all the different protocols, but leave the network device installed/running. That way the MAC address will still be visible to Waves licensing software but the network not accessible to Pro Tools or other software apps.

Not sure why you are having problems with iLok and Pro Tools. A real iLok should not be perturbed by MAC address changes, and Avid does not use machine based iLok licensing,... it did for the now discontinued Pro Tools First. Presumably you have some other software that does use iLok machine based licensing (my advice is don't... iLok for good or bad works best with license on a physical iLok).
Old 04-12-2022, 08:03 AM

I changed from one ethernet port to the other on my machine and it made a mess of Waves licensing because it uses MAC address for ID. It disables the drive and requires recovery back to their "cloud". I have two ethernet ports on my motherboard.

Ilok has big problems if interface is disabled before Protools is loaded. Waveshell complains and fails to load.

Its clearly polling at intervals and looks Ilok related. I have an Ilok connected aswell as HASP for Cedar DNS One. But it does this freezing of the process at intervals idle with no plugins in inserts.

I understand its legacy, but I had to move to Windows 11 for other work purposes and trying to not have to dual boot with Windows 10.

My research on this forum regards to network cards and Protools 12 and being advised to disable the network interface as an "optimisation" turned up true for Protools 11 aswell. That doesn't sound right.

I have to load Protools 11 with network card enabled or Ilok and Waves have problems. Then when the session is open disable it to stop the process freezing. It took ages to figure that out. I tested Protools and Windows 11 in a vmware before upgrading and it seemed fine.

I get the spinning icon and the interface is unusable but audio keeps running when playing back. Attached is screenshot of the process when in this state. Again even when idle and not touching it it will do it.

Blocking protools with the firewall doesn't help only disabling the ethernet interface in control panel helps.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2022-04-13 005156.png (5.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2022, 08:06 AM

I changed from one ethernet port to the other on my machine and it made a mess of Waves licensing because it uses MAC address for ID. It disables the drive and requires recovery back to their "cloud". I have two ethernet ports on my motherboard.

Ilok has big problems if interface is disabled before Protools is loaded. Waveshell complains and fails to load.

Its clearly polling at intervals and looks Ilok related. I have an Ilok connected aswell as HASP for Cedar DNS One. But it does this freezing of the process at intervals idle with no plugins in inserts.

I understand its legacy, but I had to move to Windows 11 for other work purposes and trying to not have to dual boot with Windows 10.

My research on this forum regards to network cards and Protools 12 and being advised to disable the network interface as an "optimisation" turned up true for Protools 11 aswell. That doesn't sound right.

I have to load Protools 11 with network card enabled or Ilok and Waves have problems. Then when the session is open disable it to stop the process freezing. It took ages to figure that out. I tested Protools and Windows 11 in a vmware before upgrading and it seemed fine.

I get the spinning icon and the interface is unusable but audio keeps running when playing back. Attached is screenshot of the process when in this state. Again even when idle and not touching it it will do it.

Blocking protools with the firewall doesn't help only disabling the ethernet interface in control panel helps.

I think my services attachment got blocked so have to repost my reply.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:17 PM

Consider a few things:
1-Pro Tools 11 is not compatible with either Windows 11 or Windows 10(PT12.5 is the oldest version that is compatible)
2-how are you authorizing Waves plugins? My recommendation is to authorize them to a USB stick(thumb drive) as that will never require an internet connection after the initial install.
3-iLok cloud sucks and I would only use it when there is no way to use a physical iLok.(this probably doesn't apply to you, but may help others to know).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave