Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 03-28-2020, 04:10 PM

Default Using caf files with Workspace?

Is there a way to audition and use apple loops caf files in Workspace? Do I have to convert all of them to wav or aiff files in order to use them and what program would be good for converting large batches of folders like those?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Using caf files with Workspace?

HI friend ! Found this for you on the web.
Take in mind I don't know the user and I don't take responsibility for what he says.

Here the workaround I found :

Use Apple Loops in ProTools Sessions!
For those of you who have played around with GarageBand, you know that there are tons of decent loops and cool sound effects built into the program. Well, GarageBand folks aren't the only ones who get to have all the fun. Mac users can use Apple Loops and iLife Sound Effects in their ProTools sessions as well. The loops and sound effects are in .caf format, but if you drag them into the Tracks list from the Workspace, ProTools will convert them automatically.

Here's how it works: From the Workspace (op+, browse Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Apple Loops > Apple, and then audition sounds from either the "Apple Loops for GarageBand" folder or the "iLife Sound Effects" folder. Drag the sounds you like from the workspace into the ProTools Tracks list (View > Other Displays > Track List) and wait a few seconds for ProTools to create the appropriate track and convert 'em. Easy as pie!

But here's the catch...after importing a musical loop into your ProTools project you'll notice that it may be in a different key, tempo, time signature, or--if you're lucky--all three at once! If you're building a song around that loop, you'll just have to put your Identify Beat skills to work and make the necessary ruler adjustments for time signature and key signature. If you want a wayward loop to fit within an existing project, however, you'll have to pitch shift, use the TCE trimmer, or just scrap it altogether. If you're just using the sound effects, they don't usually have key/tempo/meter problems.

A small word of warning: Be careful how you use the GarageBand loops and sound effects 'cause anyone who has used GarageBand will instantly recognize most of 'em. If you're not concerned about originality, there's no problem. But for those who want to sound more than generic, I'd recommend employing them creatively. And by "creatively" I mean don't use them as the main riff. I hear undisguised GarageBand loops all the time in background music for various multi-media projects on the web and even on TV. I always think, "Really, did that composer not have the time or energy or self respect to be more creative?" But maybe that's just me.

Hope this works and help you !
Old 03-30-2020, 09:43 AM

Thanks for that info. I’ve discovered that there’s a free program that can convert them into wav files and then they can be auditioned and use in workspace. And yeah, I would only consider using an apple loop if it’s chopped up and a part of something bigger. The thought of thousands and thousands of people using logic and dragging all those loops into their project is enough to make me hesitant about using them in an actual project.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:45 AM

Good to hear !
Old 06-07-2022, 11:43 AM

I'm on P.T. 2022, Big Sur. I must be missing something. Now I see no ability to either audition or drag apple loops into a P.T. track. They are all .caf files which I believe hasn't changed.
iMac 27" (mid 2017) i7 Quad core, 4.2Ghz, 48GB RAM, Big Sur, 1 TB internal SSD + external SSD's for recording & samples. Apollo x8, Pro Tools Studio Subscription, Mackie Control Universal, Mackie HR824's, Nektar Impact GXP88 controller.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfX...59WCOqPVnlRZVA

http://soundcloud.com/thinman-studios
Old 09-02-2022, 12:47 AM

I used to do that as well, but now it shows the .caf Files, but can't play them anymore. What happened?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT 22.7 Workspace.jpg (76.4 KB, 0 views)