Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-21-2021, 07:08 PM

Default Recording stops with no errors

I run protools for a live broadcast and record at the same time. 30-32 tracks.

I’ll start recording and it will record for somewhere between 5-10 minutes and then stop. No errors. No freezing. Live mix continues perfectly. I can start the recording again and it works fine from then on and will not stop.

Running latest pt version. Issue has continued through updates. Here’s what I’m running…

Latest windows 10
I9-9900k
Dante virtual sound card through an intel nic
32gb ram
Boot drive is an m.2 nvme as is the separate record drive connected through type c

Resource usage monitor hovers at 11-13% when everything is running. Computer should have enough horsepower. Not a crazy amount of plug-ins going. Worked fine for 9 months and then started doing this. Any ideas or suggestions on tracking down the problem?
Old 09-21-2021, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Recording stops with no errors

Hi, welcome to the community.

You have a workaround of recording dummy audio before your show is about to continue, then hit record again and do not worry about it too much. The real reason however may be anything in your system.

I myself do not know Dante well enough to comment whether that is the reason. Someone else may jump in. But you can rule it out by switching to some other interface (internal audio) and recording silence (using even one and the same input) to 32 tracks and see how it goes. If it does not stop, then removing Dante fixed it and you need to find the culprit from Dante setup.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revc View Post
...Any ideas or suggestions on tracking down the problem?
Re-check and do all AVID optimizations. Don't skip any.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-22-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Re-check and do all AVID optimizations. Don't skip any.
And, start removing plugins as you might discover that its a plugin causing the issue(stock plugins are less likely to be the problem)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-22-2021, 07:58 AM

One possibility - dodgy keyboard / spacebar. Worth trying an alternative. It would explain the lack of error message.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
One possibility - dodgy keyboard / spacebar. Worth trying an alternative. It would explain the lack of error message.
Spacebar was also my first hunch, but unless you have a keyboard that has seen many years of beating it should not be a problem.

With that said I need to buy a new keyboard every two years as I am proficient in 10-finger typing. These boards tend to get destroyed faster than I would like...
Old 09-22-2021, 08:45 AM

Thank you al for the responses.

Did the AVID optimizations.

Could be plugins. Perhaps even an update is needed on a plugin.

Trying an alternate interface to duplicate the problem is another option ill try. Good idea to isolate.

The dummy audio option is my current workaround. I just start the recording early so when it stops I can start it again before my broadcast. Just a funny quick. The plug ins are reputable. A combination of steven slate, BBE, Stock and waves. But as we all know anything is possible with little quirks like this.

The setup has been solid with the only other issue I had at one time is that if I started the recording with the time bar all the way at zero it would only record a few seconds and then stop. If I move the bar to some arbitrary 30 seconds in it would start fine. As I type this Im kinda wondering if this is related to that. It stopped after a past protools update.

Thanks again everyone. If I find the issue for sure ill post back with some details to help anyone with a similar issue.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:40 AM

It was actually that. The time bar if set all the way to zero. This has to be some sort of glitch. I ran a few tests and if the time bar(sorry I don’t know the technical name) was all the way at zero, which it logically would be, it stops after a few minutes. A while back it would only record 3 or 4 seconds before stopping if at zero. But if I start at anything past zero, say 1.5 second, the recording will not stop by itself and work fine. I don’t get it. Lol
Old 09-23-2021, 07:50 AM

I cannot reproduce this on my only partly supported Apple Silicon Mac system, so either it is a Windows problem or you have something random configured wrongly in your system.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:00 AM

In fact, I just completed my third test of recording 32 tracks of silence starting from zero. 15 minutes without a glitch times three that is. 64 buffer at 96kHz.

You may have to do some troubleshooting there as it does not seem to be PT issue, or if it is, it is very specific to your system...