Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-09-2016, 08:50 AM

Default Time shifter that adjusts automation?

Hi,

I only found one thread on this (seemingly important) topic from 2010 and there was no answer.

The question is: if you've just finished a massive mix with all automation inputs carefully in place and then realize the song has to be sped up..how screwed are you exactly? With TCE none of the automation levels move with the waveforms, so they're all out of place and the mix is rendered meaningless.

Is there a time shifter plug-in out there (or secret button in PT) that will move automation in proportion with time compression/expansion?

Thank you!
Old 11-09-2016, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Time shifter that adjusts automation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAvery View Post
Hi,

I only found one thread on this (seemingly important) topic from 2010 and there was no answer.

The question is: if you've just finished a massive mix with all automation inputs carefully in place and then realize the song has to be sped up..how screwed are you exactly? With TCE none of the automation levels move with the waveforms, so they're all out of place and the mix is rendered meaningless.

Is there a time shifter plug-in out there (or secret button in PT) that will move automation in proportion with time compression/expansion?

Thank you!
could you not, finalize your mix and then do the Speed Change to the Entire Song ?? i will investigate a little and see what i can find on a Magic Button !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-09-2016, 09:13 AM

Sorry if this isn't a complete answer, but I believe that the alignment of automation to follow tempo is based on each track's original setting of "samples" vs. "ticks"?
Old 11-09-2016, 09:45 AM

Maybe worth to try, if the clips are not already TCE-ed and you still need to tweak individual elements :
new session, import session data from old session
apply SRC - custom - new tempo/old tempo * sample rate (e.g. 125/120*48000 = 50000)
automation will follow.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 11-10-2016, 02:53 AM

make all your tracks tick based instead of sample based. automation will now follow tempo changes.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:08 AM

Thanks for all the responses so far, guys. Much appreciated.

I'll try some of those. Yoerik, someone else mentioned the tick-based trick in an earlier thread. Unfortunately it didn't work for me (or the other person). Perhaps I don't have the order of operations down.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoerik roevens View Post
make all your tracks tick based instead of sample based. automation will now follow tempo changes.
Bringing this back from the dead, as I've only had this question today after using PT for close to 20 years!

So...changing my tracks from Sample to Tick-based did NOT affect the automation when I time-compressed.

Am I to guess that the track needs to be Tick-based at the time the automation is actually written in order for this to work?

Rig: MacBook Pro (15,1) 6-Core i7 2.6GHz / 32GB RAM / OS 13.5.2 / PT 2023.9 / Waves Horizon v14 / iZotope Music Production Suite 4.1 / Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB / Apple SSD AP1024M 1 TB (System), Samsung T5 SSD 1 TB (Audio) / Cal-Digit TS3 Plus TB3 Dock / Genelec 1030A Monitors
Old 12-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbaDobba View Post

So...changing my tracks from Sample to Tick-based did NOT affect the automation when I time-compressed.
You actually need to do tempo changes in your session for this to work. It won't work with TC/E, unfortunately. The longer-winded version of what people are suggesting about this is:
If you change the tracks from sample to tick based, then you can change the session tempo around that song, it should change the speed of the audio, as well as the automation in the effected areas.

However, I don't think this solves the OP's actual problem. They probably have other clips before and/or after the area they need to change. If you speed up even a small section of the track in this way, then everything after it on that track will be moved forward as well. Even if you were to place another tempo marker at the end of the song so that the tempo after it stays the same, the area you changed would be still be faster, and everything behind that switch back to the regular tempo would be pushed forward and start earlier than it did previously.

Maybe you could try to duplicate the tracks, copy only the area you need to change to the new tracks, and try the tempo change thing that way. But you would still need to get it back to the other tracks (it sounds like you have a film/tv mix going and I sense you may be near your track count limit). However, if you do this, and get the automation moved to where you need it, then you can TC/E the original clips on the original tracks, then copy/paste the automation from the new tracks back on to the TC/E'd clips. That may get you where you need to be, but I'm not 100% sure.