Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2016, 07:27 PM

Default Using a Octo-Pre, Apollo and PT 12.5

I just upgraded from PT9 to 12.5, bought an Apollo Twin Duo everything was fine until I added a Focusrite Octo-Pre. Where I'm having a problem when I'm micing my Amps everything sounds great while recording the playback sound completely out of phase . I’ve spent hours on Focusrite, Universal Audio and Pro tools forums on Face book no one seems to have the answer. So is anyone in this forum using the combination as me? The hardware setup is pretty simple the setting on the OctoPre and Apollo I’m 99% sure of. The only inputs I can record on are MON/L/R.L (MON0) OR MON/L/R.R (MON0) I usually record on MIC?/LINE/HIZ/LINE.L (Mono) for some reason I’m not able to record on that input with the OctoPre I think that’s the problem. Any suggestions? BTW I’m new to this stuff.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Using a Octo-Pre, Apollo and PT 12.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacDave View Post
I usually record on MIC?/LINE/HIZ/LINE.L (Mono) for some reason I’m not able to record on that input with the OctoPre I think that’s the problem. Any suggestions? BTW I’m new to this stuff.
??? The OctoPre talks ADAT to your interface. That is 8 totally different ADAT inputs than the built-in analog inputs in the Apollo, like the MIC?/LINE/HIZ/LINE.L etc. so I have no idea why you think you should be able to "record on that input with the OctoPre".

If all the proper IO names are not showing up in the Setup>IO pages, click the default button on each page.

I doubt anybody here has a chance of understanding what you mean by "Where I'm having a problem when I'm micing my Amps everything sounds great while recording the playback sound completely out of phase". What "amps/cabs" for what? With what microphones? Positioned where? Compared to what exactly that sounds better? You using Unison modelling? Post a sample on Soundcloud showing the difference. How are you determining it is "out of phase"?
Old 06-06-2016, 08:00 PM

On the Apollo Console all 8 of the ADAT's are visible. I've also reset the Default setting on the I/O many times. I'm just saying sounds like it's out of Phase not sure if it is.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacDave View Post
On the Apollo Console all 8 of the ADAT's are visible. I've also reset the Default setting on the I/O many times. I'm just saying sounds like it's out of Phase not sure if it is.
I was not meaning in the Apollo Console, I was talking about in Pro Tools Setup>IO, which is what I assume you were talking about. You made a comment that made no sense (that you could not record the ADAT inputs thought another analog input.... well you can't because they are totally different, its like saying you want electricity from the garden hose connection) and I'm trying to understands what exactly you are talking about. If something is not working how you think it is attach as screen shot so we have some hope of understanding *exactly* what it is you are talking about.

Out of phase with what? Did you move the mic between using the built in preamps and the OctoPre? You playing back multiple different mic channels at the same time (where phase will really show up). You can always stick a plugin with phase invert on the track and play (trim, channel strip etc.). Again nobody here likely has any hope of understanding what you think you are hearing. So post a sample.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:13 PM

I figured it out , ADAT on the in's
Old 06-06-2016, 08:16 PM

I could of sworn I tried that, Your first post got me thinking or the two Rum and cokes. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:41 PM

It's so sad about Ray... da-da, da--da, da-da-duh.

"The most hateful man in Scotland."

Lines from a beautiful song and a good movie.

ASUS Sabertooth, Intel i7 3820 3.6Ghz
32 GB 1600Mhz Corsair RAM
SSD 500GB Samsung
WIN 10 64bit