Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-24-2004, 06:20 PM

Default the dreaded \"cpu holding off...yada yada message\"

I just bought an ibook g4 1.2 ghz and mbox. I was horrified to find that after 2 audio tracks, 1 instance of mach 5, and a couple midi tracks driving it... i get the cpu holding off usb crap message and the music stops. what gives??? i have a 466mhz g4 running all sorts of plug ins and instruments and ussually like 20 or so tracks and performance was never even an issue. Is this thing a toy?? 4 tracks is horrible and frustrating. I turned off the sleep and switched the power thing to highest performance. the journaling thing.. i guess i have to reformat to get rid of it? there is no option for turning it off.

i have mac os 10.3.4. and pt 6.4

mbox and a micro kontrol
pretty simple setup.

please help !!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2004, 06:25 PM

Default Re: the dreaded \"cpu holding off...yada yada messa

No, you don't need to reformat to turn off journaling. Just select the Volume (not the disk containing the Volume) in Disk Utility, and hit Apple-J.

How much RAM is in that iBook? If you've got the stock 256M, that would explain poor performance. Were you using Mach-5 on your previous system? It's pretty demanding on memory and CPU.

Old 11-24-2004, 06:51 PM

Did you go to the options menu in the energy saver control panel and select fastest in the processor performance drop down?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:28 PM

I am having the same problem,
I am running PT 6.4 MBOX Macosx 10.3.5 and 10.3.6 on a G5 1.8 Dual and I can't even play the demo session.

Can't play a very easy session,
Recording 1 track, playing three tracks, using only 2 plugins !!!!!! system hold off

lot of money on my new system MBOX and MAC G5 dual 1.8, external firewire HD and 1G Ram, but my old G4 550Mhz with a Digi001 works four times better !!!!!!

Please DIGIDESIGN HELP !!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:50 PM

Go to the energy saver control panel in system prefs in the apple menu. Click on energy saver panel turn ALL sleep modes to never, uncheck put disk to sleep..... then go to the top of the page and select the "options" sub menu to the right of the sleep and schedule buttons, then go to the processor performance and select "Highest." The later is the most important step. This fixed a horrific "CPU Holding back USB" error message problem. I couldn't even play 8 tracks with 1 plug on a new G5. Now I can have 32 tracks with reason open ton's of MIDI tracks and plug ins with NO PROBLEM. Try the above and let me know if it fixed the prob.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:04 AM

Yeah, I did do that. i saw all the other posts "i cant believe my eyes etc. The only thing i havent been able to turn off is the juornaling. I'll get to that today.

oh btw i have 768mb ram. that should be ok right?

I mean all i can get is 4 audio tracks and 1 instrument.

am i missing some super obvious step.

should i have trashed prefs after the energy saver changes??? can you even trash prefs in osx

I'm still using os 9 and 001 as my other system this is my first venture into osx land

thanks for all the replies
Old 11-25-2004, 02:04 PM

768M is fine, unless the instrument is a sampler with VERY large samples loaded.

People, read up, learn how to use Activity Monitor - your Mac is very happy to tell you how much memory is really needed.