Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-21-2021, 03:13 PM

Default Random new error message in 2021.7??

In the 12 years of using PT i have never ran into an error like this. Nothing has changed in my setup over the last year or so (outside of updating PT) and this just started happening. The session(s) will work fine for a period of time than this randomly starts happening.. And i cant move most regions and or edit them. Every time i try to this message pops up. However some random regions can still be moved and edited.

I tried 2021.6 and the error messages persists.. until i go back to a version of 2020 it goes away on these sessions.

If anyone has any insight into this it would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find anything online.

Computer is 2018 Mac Mini on Catalina 10.15.7. Audient interface
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error102.jpg (82.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-21-2021, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Random new error message in 2021.7??

Ill add:

Clean install does not fix the problem
Trashing preferences does not fix the problem
Creating a new session and importing the session data doesnt fix the problem

The only thing that does is going back to 2020 PT. But on Catalina there is no video export which i need. Somehow my sessions are becoming corrupt mid session.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:27 AM

This is why I have multiple versions of PT on my computer. The usual advice given when there's an assertion error usually leads to something other than PT itself.

QAPLA!
Old 09-22-2021, 08:15 AM

What plugins are installed on your system. I'd start there. Did these problems happen even before installing the plugins after the clean install?

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 09-22-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
What plugins are installed on your system. I'd start there. Did these problems happen even before installing the plugins after the clean install?
I haven't installed any new plugins in quite some time. Literally nothing has changed with my setup.

Generally when i do a clean install, i just move the plugin folder to the desktop before uninstalling everything, than just drag it back into place when the new install is complete (to avoid having to download all the plugins again)

Also, with this setup for my job i avoid using 3rd party plugins and work strictly with PT plugins. So in this session for example, its only stock AAX stuff.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
This is why I have multiple versions of PT on my computer. The usual advice given when there's an assertion error usually leads to something other than PT itself.
Agreed, i always have multiple version of PT installed on my system. I was starting to think this may be caused outside of PT. Ill keep an eye on it when it happens again and see whats running.

Whats interesting, is after a while, it goes away and im allowed to work with the regions in the session again. I haven't yet found a pattern on what is done in order for it to work again.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLaudio View Post
I haven't installed any new plugins in quite some time. Literally nothing has changed with my setup.

Generally when i do a clean install, i just move the plugin folder to the desktop before uninstalling everything, than just drag it back into place when the new install is complete (to avoid having to download all the plugins again)

Also, with this setup for my job i avoid using 3rd party plugins and work strictly with PT plugins. So in this session for example, its only stock AAX stuff.
Wait...clean install includes a wipe of the hard drive (or ssd) and a fresh install of the OS. This means the desktop (where you put your plugins folder) is gone too. The point of a "clean" install is to remove any remnants of stray settings, misbehaving plugins, unwanted OS tweaks, malware, adware, etc. For me, it also includes reinstalling plugins from the installers, not drag and drop from a backup, as that may bring back with it some issues.

It seems that 2021.6 and 2021.7 is not playing well with all plugins, hence my question about your plugins. It might be time to do the time consuming process of moving all plugins out, restarting, and one by one (or small group by small group) move them back in and test, restart and repeat.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 09-22-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Wait...clean install includes a wipe of the hard drive (or ssd) and a fresh install of the OS. This means the desktop (where you put your plugins folder) is gone too. The point of a "clean" install is to remove any remnants of stray settings, misbehaving plugins, unwanted OS tweaks, malware, adware, etc. For me, it also includes reinstalling plugins from the installers, not drag and drop from a backup, as that may bring back with it some issues.

It seems that 2021.6 and 2021.7 is not playing well with all plugins, hence my question about your plugins. It might be time to do the time consuming process of moving all plugins out, restarting, and one by one (or small group by small group) move them back in and test, restart and repeat.
When i referred to "clean install" i meant deleting Pro Tools and its associated files, not the OS. I usually just install versions over versions. Ive never had to reinstall a clean OS in order to fix a PT related problem. 2021.6 ran without issue. This just started randomly after installing 2021.7. I did "my" clean install again and went back to 2021.6 and now things have been good all day. Not sure why! Ill report back if this starts happening again.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:31 PM

Your initial post said that when you went back to 2021.6, the problem persisted. Your latest post sounds like 2021.6 using "your" clean install is now working all day without issues. It sounds like a clean install did something right with 2021.6. Let's keep our fingers crossed. As for 2021.7, these problems seem to be more prevalent as reported here on the forum.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 09-22-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Your initial post said that when you went back to 2021.6, the problem persisted. Your latest post sounds like 2021.6 using "your" clean install is now working all day without issues. It sounds like a clean install did something right with 2021.6. Let's keep our fingers crossed. As for 2021.7, these problems seem to be more prevalent as reported here on the forum.
To be honest man, i cant really explain it. Even in 2021.7 the session would randomly start working all of a sudden. Few regions could still be moved but most couldn't. And then randomly all would start working again. I couldn't really find a pattern on what was going on.

When i initially went back to 2021.6, it was a version i had already installed on the computer (i had 3 versions installed at the same time). 2021.7 was the first clean install that i did where the problem still existed. The only thing that worked before deleting everything off and reinstalling 2021.6 was going back to the 2020 version i had. That just worked without issue.