Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-03-2021, 05:02 PM

Default Error message on empty insert and send slots

First time posting. My apologies if I've missed something, but I've also been unable to find any related threads about my issue.

The symptom...
Clicking on the title of a track, an empty plug-in slot or send slot yields the following error message:
Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/238958/ProTools/NewFileLibs/Sys/MacOS/Sys_FileLocMacOS.cpp", line 230.

This of course prevents me from adding new inserts and sends or renaming tracks. There are other features I can still use by working around this error, but it would be nice to have my shortcuts back.

This happens randomly, first session I open or the Nth that day.

The cause...
Honestly, cannot for the life of me figure out what situation is causing this—it seems to be totally random.

So far...
Sometimes a system reboot will work, sometimes using disk utility's first aid feature works.

The Specs...
MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6
2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
ProTools 2019.12.0

Please let me know if any more information is necessary/helpful.
And thank you to anyone who is able to offer some insight
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 1.35.27 PM.png (63.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-2021, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Error message on empty insert and send slots

Hi. Welcome.
Unfortunately I can't give you anything but general advice.

That error message seems to point to something to do with OS and basic functions. This is what many of us have learned thru the years; sometimes you need to rebuild your setup from scratch to solve PT dysfunctionalities. What we call a clean install. (Fresh install of mac os on formatted volume, and fresh install of PT.) This almost always creates a solid stable PT system, allthough very basic. Then you reinstall stuff manually, creating backups as you go along.

If you have a disk, or the free disk space to create a separate partition, you could create a new boot disk without deleting the current.