Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2021, 07:34 PM

Default I’ve come to the crossroads with protools?

I’m kinda seeking reinforcement here and not intending to upset anyone in any way, I’m just asking for informed advice as I’m seriously at the crossroads.

The story is the same I guess, I’ve been on pretty much every version of Protools since 99-2000. From Digi 001 to a full blown mix system, to HD etc, and then and then etc....
the amount of money invested is insane, control 24 desk I still love. Etc.

So the dilemma, I’m finding it hard to go any further down the rabbit hole, a perpetual lic is only perpetual while the OS supports it, the constant plans are too expensive for me now as work is different due to the many attributing factors and for a smaller studio I feel I’m now being priced out of the market by Avid, I feel that I’m being farmed.
Protools is just getting too dam expensive, the upgrades are for mine not addressing the engine and for the first time ever I’m feeling protools is kinda old now.

I’m not saying Reaper is better but I am wondering why I never crash it and I’ve just spent 3 weeks downtime to learn it and it angers me that it’s performing better than my HD rig, and it’s on a very ordinary laptop and windows , never thought Ide say that.

I’m not attempting to start a pt vs reaper war, please don’t go there,

But come on Digi/Avid. The software needs a serious overhaul, I can get 3 Rd party plugs to use my control 24, after all it was 15k as was my original mix system, HD... man that’s exactly the bleeding on the next level.

I’ve played the game 22 years and I’m not sure to cut my losses and change it up.

Sorry. I just needed to vent.

I’m really upset.