Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 05-23-2021, 08:21 AM

Default Waves WLM Plus & NPR Loudness Standard

Is anyone producing radio programs (not podcasts) for distribution by NPR / PRSS / PRX using the Waves WLM Plus plug-in to meet their loudness specs?

By the way, here are those numbers:

"The PRSS Audio Loudness Standard has been set at -24 LUFS, ± 2 LU, audio peaks ≤ -3 dBFS for sample peaks or ≤ -2 dBTP for True Peaks, meaning producers should strive to set their programs’ audio levels at -24 Loudness Units Relative to Full Scale (LUFS), with a deviation range of plus or minus two Loudness Units and an audio peak at or below -3 dBFS or -2 dBTP."

While I understand the difference between conventional (electronic) and loudness metering, I feel I haven't been using the WLM to its full potential. For example, should I be using the EBU or LM1 method? What about the Momentary Scale setting? How about Short Max and Short Min levels? True Peak Limiter On or Off?

Anyone experienced with this plug-in AND the public radio standard — I'd love to hear from you. And maybe borrow your settings?
Old 05-23-2021, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Waves WLM Plus & NPR Loudness Standard

I've been mixing symphony concerts for broadcast on the local NPR affiliate for 7 or 8 years now. Currently working on mixing an opera concert for broadcast nationally on NPR through their Boston affiliate.

I use the WLM Plus on the master output to monitor my loudness levels. But I usually keep them at -20 LUFS and peaks below -18. I haven't been given an official standard by any of the stations that I have submitted mixes for broadcast. From what you posted, it sounds like I may be too loud though.

I guess I'll have to check with my reps to see if they have an official standard.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-24-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
But I usually keep them at -20 LUFS and peaks below -18. .

When you say peaks below -18, I assume you are meaning momentary LUFS peaks, not sample peaks or true peaks, correct?
Old 05-24-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
When you say peaks below -18, I assume you are meaning momentary LUFS peaks, not sample peaks or true peaks, correct?
Correct.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-24-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Correct.
Good to know. -18 dBFS peaks on a symphony concert would be...unfortunate
Old 05-24-2021, 08:11 PM

I'm not doing PRRS/NPR but do network and OTT sports media events. I use the WLM Plus plug live on platforms where I use SoundGrid Server and on content mixed prior in a DAW for bumpers, canned VOs, etc.

I use the EBU method as it uses the foreground sound as the anchor. That's consistent with what I've seen and worked with on the networks and trucks that use a deliverable loudness spec. We're going quite a bit hotter with -14dB LUFS for OTT but the application is the same as the common -24dB spec for network broadcast. The EBU setting is the same as using the current ITU spec. I use the ITU setting on the weighting which is K weighting. If you hit your window with those mode settings you should be able to pass QC at pretty much any outlet.

The output limiter in the plug can be used to keep you on target though I've moved off using it. I put an LA-2A on the master bus for any stereo mixes and level from there using the mix balance and leveling amp without engaging the limiter in the plug. The numerical settings will depend on your content, ratio of voice to music, any audience noise etc. If you start with those basic mode settings you can adjust the other parameters to more suit what you are mixing while still hitting your spec.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoButtonGuy View Post
I'm not doing PRRS/NPR but do network and OTT sports media events. I use the WLM Plus plug live on platforms where I use SoundGrid Server and on content mixed prior in a DAW for bumpers, canned VOs, etc.

I use the EBU method as it uses the foreground sound as the anchor. That's consistent with what I've seen and worked with on the networks and trucks that use a deliverable loudness spec. We're going quite a bit hotter with -14dB LUFS for OTT but the application is the same as the common -24dB spec for network broadcast. The EBU setting is the same as using the current ITU spec. I use the ITU setting on the weighting which is K weighting. If you hit your window with those mode settings you should be able to pass QC at pretty much any outlet.

The output limiter in the plug can be used to keep you on target though I've moved off using it. I put an LA-2A on the master bus for any stereo mixes and level from there using the mix balance and leveling amp without engaging the limiter in the plug. The numerical settings will depend on your content, ratio of voice to music, any audience noise etc. If you start with those basic mode settings you can adjust the other parameters to more suit what you are mixing while still hitting your spec.
Yeah I find that ISP limiter quite handy. I'll put WLM Plus right at the end of my chain which gives me the freedom to work with any other limiter I like, knowing that WLM will catch anything it misses.

As long as I don't push it hard enough where it starts contributing to the sonic character as well. Not that it sounds bad, it would just defy the point of using the other limiter in the first place.

This is not really helpful here, though.