Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Default CPTK gone in PT11 - Upgrade to PTHD11?

I just watched the PT11 podcast on You Tube. I am liking what I see!!!

Anybody heard any rumors on the $999 upgrade form PT10 and CPTK PT11HD. I picked up CPTK used, so I am hoping they make that price available if you own the ILOK license for CPTK.

Fingers crossed, but I am worried.

Dave
Old 04-07-2013, 07:35 PM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11

My understanding is if you have CPTK you can upgrade PT10+CPTK to PT11HD software for $999.

If the current non HD v HD features are anything to go by if you upgrade to non-HD PT11 from PT10+CPTK you'll be paying $299 to LOSE features.*

All in all - pretty crap deal whichever way you look at it.

Edit:
*this all depends on what CPTK features have been implemented in non-HD PT11. I cannot bear the prospect of losing VCA's.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazC View Post
My understanding is if you have CPTK you can upgrade PT10+CPTK to PT11HD software for $999.

If the current non HD v HD features are anything to go by if you upgrade to non-HD PT11 from PT10+CPTK you'll be paying $299 to LOSE features.*

All in all - pretty crap deal whichever way you look at it.

Edit:
*this all depends on what CPTK features have been implemented in non-HD PT11. I cannot bear the prospect of losing VCA's.
The unknown is certainly something fearful sometime, but let's look at it an other way. It's still much cheaper for you that have it and just have to pay 999, than to have to buy a card+interface to get the HD software (or use an exchange for the cards/interface).

In any case no sense in fretting until you have all the answers :)

Wave-T.com
Old 04-07-2013, 07:56 PM

I dont like having to spend $999 to keep the features I am used to with CPTK. But my bigger fear is since I picked up a used version of CPTK that I wont qualify for the PT11HD upgrade. And that I will be looking at more than $999 to keep all the goodness of CPTK.

I shot my Sweetwater rep an email. I am anxious for his reply.

Dave
Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
In any case no sense in fretting until you have all the answers :)
No, that's very true. Shame Avid have been pre-emptive of their own much publicised announcement tomorrow. Better to have all the facts on schedule than drip fed bits of info early.

That said, knowing Avid I rather suspect a $299 upgrade is actually a downgrade if you have the CPTK. Still, as you correctly point out we don't know for definite either way.

Shifting Sands Audio

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM

My guess (and yes it's a guess) is that it was announced today this way due to all the leaks the retailers did without approval. Who will get it out first, who will get more hits on their website and get more people sooner in their stores etc etc.. Marketing war between the stores and all, that and sometimes just not placing the right security credentials to stop bots and spiders from sniffing the info out on a web search.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 PM

Okay.......so it was leaked..... So is what we are hearing all BS? The pricing/upgrade structure....... CPTK going away etc.

I sure hope so because I think anything less than 3 months grace on a $300 upgrade is shameful. Especially when PT 9 users get a $200 better deal than those who just bought 10.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Default Now it's time for the PT10 + CPTK users to fork it over

I'm disappointed. Here are my thoughts that I already posted on another blog:

I'm pretty disgusted that instead of my planned $300 upgrade I will now have to fork over $999 for PT11HD. I would be okay jumping on the HD bandwagon if we PT10 + CPTK users were treated the same as PT10HD users. It is, after all, the latest version of the software with the same features that we paid extra for. I like what I see in PT11, but now I will give early adopters a good long time to work out the kinks before I jump onboard. You won't be getting a same-quarter boost from me, Avid! Let me know when I only have to pay $300 more than I expected rather than $700 and I may reconsider.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 PM

No - those prices are accurate across the dealers who have them listed on their sites.

Plus the CPTK info is from Pro Tools Expert. The 45min video they've got up has all the pricing info toward the end.

Shifting Sands Audio

Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
I sure hope so because I think anything less than 3 months grace on a $300 upgrade is shameful.
Where would you put it? 5 months? then those who bought it at 5 months+1day would cry foul. 6 months? same deal, 7 months? Same deal etc etc etc. It's basically a somewhat arbitrary call I would suspect. When was it announced? Did the announcement give enough time to new purchaser that was going to buy it to wait? Was there enough time for the product that bundles the software with the hardware to be phased out and replaced with new bundles? Etc etc etc.

They have to pick a time frame that will be not only fair to the users but to them also. They are a company after all not charity. But again to my question, if you were in their shoes and you knew that what ever date you pick will always leave people out, which would you chose? And don't think about your own purchase, think globally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
The pricing/upgrade structure....... CPTK going away etc.
This should answer your question.

http://www.avid.com/US/press-room/Av...dio-Production

Wave-T.com