Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 AM

Default Re: PT 10 + CPTK to PT11 HD = $999. Is this correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_grimmace View Post
I think that's an unreasonable upgrade price based on the amount those of us with cptk2 have already spent. Since we are essentially running PT 10 HD, the price from 10 + cptk to 11 HD should be the same as 10 HD to 11 HD - $599.

I don't understand why I have to pay $400 more for the same feature set.
Exactly!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike connelly View Post
Lot of straw man arguing going on. The complaint isn't paying for an upgrade, the complaint is paying more than someone else who has the same software for the same upgrade. Avid has every right to tag on an "oops, we undercharged you" fee, but users have every right to be upset about it.
AND? Protools hd9 to hd10 was $999 and cptk 9 to 10 was $400.

Paying money for upgrades isnt a straw man btw.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
Protools hd9 to hd10 was $999 and cptk 9 to 10 was $400.
So two wrongs make a right? I'm not sure what your point is.

Quote:
Paying money for upgrades isnt a straw man btw.
Implying that people don't want to pay at all for upgrades is. Or is there a post I missed where someone insists that CPTK users should get PTHD11 for free?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
So two wrongs make a right? I'm not sure what your point is.
How is trying to make money wrong? Are you a communist?

They squeezed all of the hd people with 10 because they knew it was the last version on the old cards. They looked at it as a opportunity to milk the user base and they took it. People paid too. Now they want to squeeze all the cptk people because they can. The only hd people moving forward are on hdx or native systems and they already paid way more then a cptk license.

If avid wanted to charge 20k for a upgrade they could do it. You are fully able not to upgrade as well.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:01 PM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11

Any "added functionality" that made CPTK worth the investment seems to remain the same in PT11 HD. What added functionality would we get for the extra $700??? New surround formats? More busses? More disk cache? Perhaps a second time code ruler with a new SMPTE II format???

IMHO, these toolkits should have never existed. Why pay extra for SOFTWARE BASED FEATURES that other DAWs have maintained standard??

Still, I jumped-in the wagon since the original DV Toolkit and have sucked-in the costs in the upgrading path all the way to CPTK2.

And BTW… what will be the cost for upgrading all my virtual instruments or any other RTAS plug-ins to AAX versions?

Last edited by mixaudio; 04-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Well, at least you've confirmed that you haven't understood what I'm saying at all.

Again, nobody has protested trying to make money or charging for upgrades. Just that people doing the same upgrade should pay the same amount. Really, it's not rocket science - would it be easier if I posted slower, or in all caps?

Yes, they can "squeeze the people because they can". But is a one time shafting (assuming enough people even pay for the upgrade instead of passing on it) that annoys users really better in the long term than keeping them happy and continuing to pay for more upgrades? Of course they have the right to charge whatever they want (as I said already), and users can choose not to upgrade...and how is that working out for Avid's financial state?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Any "added functionality" that made CPTK worth the investment seems to remain the same in PT11 HD. What added functionality would we get for the extra $700??? New surround formats? More busses? More disk cache? Perhaps a second time code ruler with a new SMPTE II format???

IMHO, these toolkits should have never existed. Why pay extra for SOFTWARE BASED FEATURES that other DAWs have maintained standard??

Still, I jumped-in the wagon since the original DV Toolkit and have sucked-in the costs in the upgrading path all the way to CPTK2.

And BTW… what will be the cost for upgrading all my virtual instruments or any other RTAS plug-ins to AAX versions?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:09 PM

TOM.

I have four old PTHD PCI systems waiting to get tossed. We upgraded those licenses to PT10HD. So am I now understanding you correctly that these four licenses are completely worthless as they can't be upgraded to a proper PT11HD, well they can, but without hardware they are just standard PT licenses.
If we buy new hardware we get new licenses pretty much included.
Upgrading to AAX is not worth it apart for our dubstage, we simply don't need it in our edit rooms. but we do need 5.1 and VCAs and proper automation... And Avid does not allow trade ins to lesser systems so we can't trade in our old systems for PTHD Native... And even if we could we still would have to buy useless audio I/O.

So you are pretty much saying we are hosed?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Again, nobody has protested trying to make money or charging for upgrades. Just that people doing the same upgrade should pay the same amount. Really, it's not rocket science - would it be easier if I posted slower, or in all caps?
"Same." You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

PT + CPTK ≠ PTHD
Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Well, at least you've confirmed that you haven't understood what I'm saying at all.

Yes, they can "squeeze the people because they can". But is a one time shafting (assuming enough people even pay for the upgrade instead of passing on it) that annoys users really better in the long term than keeping them happy and continuing to pay for more upgrades? Of course they have the right to charge whatever they want (as I said already), and users can choose not to upgrade...and how is that working out for Avid's financial state?
Well it's not the same upgrade. One person paid 2k for cptk and others paid 5k to 12k for hd systems. You WANT it to be the same because you don't WANT to pay $999. I understand that but it's not your reality.