Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2002, 04:15 PM

Default Help me build my studio with protools

Hi
I recently recorded at a studio that used protools and fell in love with it. I have a project studio in my house where I have a 24 ch. Behringer mixing board with (2)16 bit ADAT's. I have an assortment of compressions and eq's. I want to be able to track drums and such at a studio and dump the tracks to my home computer that is a 2.0Ghz with a 845 pentium 4 chip. I would like to do overdubs, vocals, and mixdown at my house. What set up do you believe is the best for this. Currently, the Digi 001 and 002 is the only compatable format with my computer. My question to you is should I get rid of all my equipment and invest in a nice preamp. I would have to buy either the 001 or 002 to get the protools le software. But what would I use for a A/D converter since I have been reading the converters are not that good. Any ideas would help?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2002, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Help me build my studio with protools

I just bought an Edirol UA-3 and like it. It handles digital in and out as well as analog.

Here's one at ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...922961324&rd=1

John Link
Old 11-20-2002, 01:32 AM

To me it depends on your needs: the 001 and 002 basically are the Digi interfaces geared toward the project/home studio and in that price range are very hard to beat; if you don't need to track too many sources at once I'd go with one of these two, particulary, if you feel the need for an automated control surface and 96KHz resolution, the 002, if not (since you already have a mixing board) you could go with the 001; a good preamp is always a must have, even if it's only 1 or 2 channels, for that lead vocal, or lead guitar etc, the Behringer pres won't cut it. Don't get rid of your outboard equipment, it can be totally integrated with the DAW (both 001 or 002), and could 1) substitute plugins and thus free up CPU power, 2) give you the option to use different "colors" for your processings.
The A/D on the 001/002 are good starting points (after all you get what you pay for..they're no 196 or Apogee AD8000), I've tracked lots of good sounding tracks with them; eventually you could expand with a dedicated A/D converter (like RME ADI8 Pro) and go digital in the Digi via lightpipe or Spdif; they are far from being "unusable", that's too big a statement, sometimes used to cover some lacks in the recording chain or recording technique.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:27 PM

What is your budget to add ProTools to your set-up? You can buy an interface and the Core cards/Mix Cards on ebay pretty cheaply. I bought a Mix Plus system for about $4k. You can attach an 888/16 to it for another $500. Don't forget to throw in a few hundred for cabling.

Mike
www.mindtheatreaudio.com