Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-10-2003, 06:31 AM

Default Re: What are the record labels about?

Quote:
Originally posted by mlemos:
I just don't get. You pay for it but we'll own it when it's finished.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">my day job is real estate development. if you think record labels are sharks, you ain't seen nothin' yet...

the difference is in real estate, you have the rich robbing the rich (banks/investors/unions robbing the developer). in the music biz, you have the rich (major label) robbing the poor (sucker artist)...

whats true in my industry is true in the record biz and all the others: capital = control.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:35 AM

Froyo, you are totally right. It is great for that band that gets a contract and dosent sell any cd's and gets dropped. However that dosen't happen a whole lot. Many bands first get signed on to very small labels. Hopefully then the bands will get at least a little heard and maybe bought off by a big label. This process usually weeds some of the bands out.

However that wasn't the point that I wanted to make. Considering that you are right. Why is the record label structured this way? Why is it that they are structured to only make money off of the few multiplatinum artists, and lose money on everything else. No wonder the labels are having trouble. If they didn't spend beyond their means then they wouldn't have to worry about those few artists making millions upon millions so that they could support the rest of the artists that don't. You can easily make a great record by recording in a good studio, and not a LA Major studio. I know a studio here in town that is getting great results, puting out good records for about 40 bucks an hour. This is nothing compared to other studios. One of their latest recordings that comes to mind is Bright Eyes, They are a huge indie band that tours all over the USA and Japan. They get lots of radio play on college stations. Anyway, you can be big without spending out of your means and still make money. I just think that the record labels go about it wrong.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:55 PM

Thanks for your answers guys.
Just to clarify, I'm not trying to get a recording deal, just wandering why the media is full of crap [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Quote:
The stories could go on and on and on.
The good thing is that there is always some good new young band writing a good tune as we speak. We will get to hear their stuff...eventually.
Look at Norah Jones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree with this statement, but they are to few and far between.
Quote:
OK to play devil's advocate (in this case almost literally), I think that labels provide a valuable service. Key word being value, and it's something that is basically unheard of anywhere else in the business world. Of course you have to view it strictly from a business perspective, dollars and cents. That service is they basically give artists interest free loans that they don't have to pay back.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Also true, but sadly they have to dish out tons of crap to be able to give interest free loans. And the result of that is the music business changes, ít's not just about our ears anymore. I would love to see Norah Jones sell more records than Britney Spears, but Norah dont dance and she has to much clothes on.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:51 PM

When is a record label a label?
If an Artist puts out a record with it's name on it, sell it at shows & maybe in stores..they're an independent artist.
If that artist puts out a record, stamps it "Blah Blah records", sells it at shows & maybe in stores...they have an independant label.
If an artist gets signed to a "big label" and the label sells records, they are "signed to a label".
If that same artist takes that record, stamps"Blah BLah records, a subsidiary of MegaFlop Records" on it, then they are an artist on their own "independant" label.
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Am I understanding this correctly , or am I way off base with this? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

(not that I have to worry about this, the only label my stuff will ever have is "use for beer coaster" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )
Old 03-17-2003, 08:36 PM

Record companies are all about the artistry of quality music. Oh wait... INDEPENDENT Record companies are in it for the art.

I say forget the major label companies. For the most part, little guys like us will only get screwed by the big labels. It's true, they are only in it for the money. You might as well shop your record to Wal-Mart and McDonald's along with Warner or whomever.

These days, there is really no reason for anyone to go through a major label. I've never understood that as a goal anyway. Why work hard touring and selling CD's to just give away power and potential profits by signing with a major anyway? If your music is good enough and your live show is good enough; the longer you stay independent = the better. If you do give in to the big guys, you'll be signing for lots of zeros and support instead of giving it all away.

There are just too many ways to sell your music these days to put up with coroporate "shine-boys" who know little about the music they sign.

Just my two pesos,

-Jay
Old 03-18-2003, 12:19 AM

Don't forget alot of people who want record deals don't want to deal with responsibilities. Come on guys how many people we know that are both a artist and businessman?

Wiz