Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Default DAW Dead

Well this is a real first for me ....

PT 9.0.1 Win7 64 Bit M-Audio Profire 610 won't run at all.

After I click on the PT icon, immediately I get: a dialog box that says

Operating System Error:
Cannot Create a File when that file already exists. ID: eOS : 183 / path : 3

Also Sonar 8.5.3 won't run, it gets the same error

Both Pro Tools and Sonar worked perfectly yesterday - I will review what changed in a moment.

Sound Forge 9 shows the error but eventually opens. Premiere Pro CS4 opens fine as does IZotope RX4

I have reinstalled the ProFire Driver and reinstalled Pro Tools 9.0.1 that did not solve the problem for Sonar nor PT. I uninstalled the Profire 610 and Sonar still get the same error.

The only thing that changed on the system is I installed the $20.11 Presonus Studio One Artist special running this week at NAMM last evening. Maybe it's a killer worm!!!! I have obviously uninstalled Studio One but that didn't seem to have any impact.

After searching the forums I found 2007 threads about memory leaks and XP SP3 with firewire hot fixes.

So, I am dead in the water - can anyone point me in a direction before I spend three days totally rebuilding my system!!!!

All help is greatly appreciated!!!

Best

-D
Old 01-14-2011, 10:24 PM

Default Re: DAW Dead

I think the problem is listed right there in the error - Operating System. Have you tried a System Restore? Do you have a backup image you could restore - this saved my butt just the other day. Last resort is to reinstall the O/S.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 AM

This problem is far worse that it may appear. There are others at the Sonar forum now reporting the same behavior after installing Studio One.

For me Sonar 8.5.3, Pro Tools 9.0.1, Sound Forge 9.0e and Sound Forge 10.0c have all failed.

Sonar and PT will run by right clicking from the Start Menu and run as Administrator - neither rev of Sound Forge will run at all.

-D
Old 01-15-2011, 08:55 AM

All:
This is important - Do Not Install Studio One (at least for now) even though it is on sale for $20.11 this week. I just got this message from Presonus support:

Don, you are quite right. We have discovered that there's a bug in the latest version of the CD burning system we use that is changing user permissions on some Windows systems. Good news is we've identified the bug and already have a fix in place in the forthcoming 1.6.3 update. We're testing that now, but it's the weekend and we're all at NAMM (and I'm personally on stage all day!). We're a small company...

We're going to try to get 1.6.3 out asap (just as soon as we are sure it is stable and correct), and we will try to get a workaround procedure posted here later today that you can fix the problem you already have.

Big apologies to everyone for this bug, we're really sorry we didn't catch it earlier.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
All:
This is important - Do Not Install Studio One (at least for now) even though it is on sale for $20.11 this week. I just got this message from Presonus support:

Don, you are quite right. We have discovered that there's a bug in the latest version of the CD burning system we use that is changing user permissions on some Windows systems. Good news is we've identified the bug and already have a fix in place in the forthcoming 1.6.3 update. We're testing that now, but it's the weekend and we're all at NAMM (and I'm personally on stage all day!). We're a small company...

We're going to try to get 1.6.3 out asap (just as soon as we are sure it is stable and correct), and we will try to get a workaround procedure posted here later today that you can fix the problem you already have.

Big apologies to everyone for this bug, we're really sorry we didn't catch it earlier.
Honest answer. You have to appreciate the candor.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 PM

I have worked out a fix, and sent it to the folks at Presonus. They have posted it on their forum. In summary their install changed (increased) the permissions on the C:\ProgramData directory and all apps were halting due to that.

The permissions need to be changed to full control.

-D