Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-18-2021, 02:40 AM

Default Is Avid Cloud Licensing coming to Pro Tools?

Avid have introduced a new system of licensing first to Media Composer last week and now Sibelius called Avid Cloud Licensing:

https://www.avid.com/resource-center...loud-licensing

The basics - each user can have two activations on two different computers. Although it is called Cloud Licensing, it works differently to iLok Cloud, which requires an internet connection to work. With Avid Cloud Licensing, it only needs periodic checks (as I understand it) and it is possible to make it offline only for up to 7 days. (Curiously, Cubase 12 was to have a similar system that required a 30 day check, but this week they backtracked to make it permanent once activated - ie no need to be online at all once set up).

I can see pros and cons with this, but it would be interesting as an option for Pro Tools. Any chance of it happening, does anyone think?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-18-2021, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Is Avid Cloud Licensing coming to Pro Tools?

I'm tired of all the different Auth schemes. Everyone has a different one.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2021, 05:23 PM

Better hope you have a sold internet connection or the AVID server doesn't go down.

I know people who had licenses in the iLok Cloud that got screwed because the server wasn't working and had a serious deadline.

I had a 9 hour internet outage a month ago. I wouldn't be able to deal with the downtime.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:44 PM

Many places won't allow production content computers connected to the outside world. This looks to be something for small shops, independents and writer/composers. For us the connections are either shut off when not needed at the router or firewall or air gapped from the business network. A seven day window would be a hassle for a production shop that didn't normally connect them. I'd rather have dongles or per computer auths.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoButtonGuy View Post
Many places won't allow production content computers connected to the outside world. This looks to be something for small shops, independents and writer/composers. For us the connections are either shut off when not needed at the router or firewall or air gapped from the business network. A seven day window would be a hassle for a production shop that didn't normally connect them. I'd rather have dongles or per computer auths.
I'm not sure if this is the only licensing available for Media Composer and Sibelius, but I think it is - obviously for MC in particular that's huge in post houses, and get there this is. I agree though that in audio it would be a bad idea to make this a SOLE method of authorisation. Would be good to have a choice though.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-22-2021, 08:26 AM

I already have Cloud Authorization for Protools via iLok....curious, what difference does it make if Avid offers this, or you just use it via iLok?
Old 12-22-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTalk View Post
I already have Cloud Authorization for Protools via iLok....curious, what difference does it make if Avid offers this, or you just use it via iLok?
The first big benefit is being able to work offline. It's only for 7 days, but if you're working away you could set it first, and update when you have a chance. With iLok Cloud, you have to be connected for it to work at all, which is the big drawback.

It also might be possible to run it on 2 machines simultaneously, but I'm not 100% on that.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-22-2021, 04:20 PM

I will happily keep using a physical iLok

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-22-2021, 06:54 PM

^^^I would also like to keep using a physical iLok. Sometimes I arrange and edit songs during a flight (no Internet access) and using a physical iLok allows me to do that.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 12-22-2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
^^^I would also like to keep using a physical iLok. Sometimes I arrange and edit songs during a flight (no Internet access) and using a physical iLok allows me to do that.
Just to state the obvious - a big advantage of ACL would be you could still do that and NOT need the dongle.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM