Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2021, 11:07 AM

Default Edit Window full screen

Is there a way to make the edit window full screen, and also make it float to drag onto a different monitor? Can't seem to find anything in the manual. The only control I can find is the drop down menu or the little arrow in the lower left of the edit window.

Old school guy here trying to get midi to work correctly.

Media Man
Windows 10 Pro
Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12.0
Old 02-06-2021, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Edit Window full screen

Hmmm, none if this is going to help midi and you have not given nearly enough detail on your system. shooting from the hip, here are some things to look at for any Windows setup:
Regarding the EDIT window:
1-assuming you have 2 screens and wish to place the EDIT window on 1 and the MIX window on the other, start with the main PT window.
2-do NOT maximize the main window(also called the "parent" window). Instead, use your mouse and grab the edges and drag them until the main window fills both of your screens.
3-with a session open, move the EDIT window to the screen you want it on and then drag the edges to fill that screen.
4-drag the MIX window to the other screen and drag the edges out to fill that screen.
5-hit Alt+F4>save and close. Next time you open PT and a session, it SHOULD open across both screens.

More: on Windows, the MIX and EDIT windows cannot be placed outside of the parent window(but plugins, memory locations and such CAN be placed outside, which is handy if you run 3 or more screens). Again, none of this affects midi, so that is a separate issue(and probably deserves a separate thread)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-06-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Man View Post
Is there a way to make the edit window full screen, and also make it float to drag onto a different monitor? Can't seem to find anything in the manual. The only control I can find is the drop down menu or the little arrow in the lower left of the edit window.

Old school guy here trying to get midi to work correctly.

Media Man
Windows 10 Pro
Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12.0
First I am Mac so take with a grain of salt .

That said I don't think there is is PT command to make either the edit or mixer window full screen. I believe there is an option when editing video in PT do so but only the video screen. You can of course drag the corners out to almost full screen

On Mac OS there is an option to go into full screen BUT once you do go into full, you can no longer drag them.

In order to have two independent display screens you have to put them in "Extended" Mac or Windows.
I am guessing you do that in Windows 10 as per below

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-06-2021, 12:49 PM

Good info^^^, but Pro Tools won't cooperate on a Windows machine. If you maximize the parent window, it will only fill a single screen(hence the advice to not maximize and then drag edges to fill)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-06-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Good info^^^, but Pro Tools won't cooperate on a Windows machine. If you maximize the parent window, it will only fill a single screen(hence the advice to not maximize and then drag edges to fill)
Honestly I always just drag the edges also
BUT :: I have been experimenting and there is some quirky full screen behavior in Mac and PT as well.
If I only have one display in full screen then I can click on the icon in the title bar and go in and out of full screen repeatedly no problem .

If I put both in full screen, which ever one I put in second will not show the title bar with the icon and cannot be taken out of full screen ,,, BUT the one put in full screen first, can. And it does not matter if it is the parent screen or not, it seems to be only the order. The good news is since it does not save in full screen mode , once you close the session and re launch things are back to non full screen

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-07-2021, 08:03 PM

Well, I figured it out. It was a as simple as finding the Midi Editor in the Windows menu.

You can open a smaller version with the little "verticle" arrow at the lower left of the edit window. I was hoping to click on something there to go full screen.

Then, I noticed Ctrl+= switches between two of the "mix, edit, or midi editor", but not all three. I guess the Midi Editor has its own key commands to open.

Thanks for you input.

Media Man