Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2002, 08:29 PM

Default Re: POD, J STATION, V-AMP?????

Check out the DG stomp by Yamaha I have one and it's killer. If you have access to any older Guitar Player magazines check out the November 2000 issue, they do a write up on it and give it an editors pick award. I love mine.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:52 PM

I have both the DG Stomp and the POD Pro. I almost invariably find myself using the POD. The DG is cool for some things but the POD is more convincing to my ears and more flexible IMHO.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:24 PM

Heavy Rock/Metal/wasp in a jar type sounds the Pod is better.
The J-station is better for classic/retro rock/funk and soul& cleaner sounds, check out the VoxAC30 and the Fender Twin Blackface 65 sounds on the J-station. There's also a great Roland Jazz Chorus120 type sound on there as well called a Johnson amp or somthing like that!
You've got to check these products out in the shop and read the reviews to get exactly what you're looking for!
Nothing can beat an amp miked up though! especially for chord work. Try to mike up your main guitar part if you can.
John Kiernan London N19
Old 02-12-2002, 03:31 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by lochgarman1798:
Nothing can beat an amp miked up though!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For now anyway. If they come up with a digital 192KHZ mike that can actually capture the Amps true sound or even better if somebody can simulate the real sound of an amp just like you would hear as if infront of an Amp, that would be the best. For now, for the best sound stick with your favorite amp + close miked SM57 or (a Neumann if you can afford it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 02-12-2002, 04:04 PM

Classic way of recording a guitar amp is use 2 mics, one in close on the speaker cone and one distant about two feet away. When you've got the tracks down on tape/disk delay the close mic to compensate for the distant mic.
I can't remember where I got this info from bu apparently this is the way they teach it in certain recording colleges and do it on serious guitar albums. This gets you a very big sound for rhythm guitar. I've got this info on my music computer drive, and more stuff on lead guitar as wellJohn Kiernan London N19
Old 02-12-2002, 04:30 PM

Yavuz
I've started a new thread for this subject!
More info on there.
John Kiernan
Old 02-12-2002, 07:44 PM

Default Re: POD, J STATION, V-AMP????? *DELETED*

Post deleted by David001
Old 05-04-2002, 08:12 AM

Hey guys

I just wanted you to know, anyone still trying to decide on the v-amp, pod, or j-station. I have been looking at these 3 amp modelers for the last few weeks, and I finally decided on the j-station, after a long time of heavily leaning toward the POD. Really leaning towards the POD. But to me, the j-station just ended up seeming less metallic and digital than the Pod, and the v-amp was nice but not as good as the other two. Also, I was wanting to buy a bass pod regardless for recording purposes, but after getting the j-station, it has something like 5-6 or so bass amps, all easy to tweak and exactly what I need for what I do, so now I don't need the bass pod. So, for 150 bucks, I basically saved myself about 500 bucks ($300 Pod + $350 Bass Pod). And the more I play around with the j-station, the more I love it. Just trying to help anyone else out there still trying to make this decision.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:45 AM

The Pod is IT. Anything else is a "me too" box.

The best way I've heard is to track the Pod through a good DAC with some frequency dependant limiting. JBartunek on this board uses the Waves L2 and the results are incredible.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:56 PM

I've got a J-Station and a Pod. I agree with the comments about the bass amp sims in the J-Station. I was going to buy a Bass Pod, but for as rarely as I need it, the J-Station covers the, uh, well, BASSES just fine. Okay bad pun, I'm sorry! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I disagree about some other comments though.

I feel the Pod does better clean stuff overall than the J-Station. Except for the AC30 sims, which are nothing to write home about on either one... I think the J-Station is better for the heavy crunch stuff. The Pod does better on the Fender simulations. Classic Marshall grind is pretty good out of both. I've got Dryden Mitchell's (AAF) hot rodded Marshall JCM800 here at the studio on long term loan, and so I have something fairly good to compare them to... I also have a couple of customized Fenders that I own, and so I have those to compare them to as well. Unfortunately, I DON'T have a AC30, but would really like to get one, since the sims just don't seem to get that classic Vox shimmer and Class A grind very well.

IMO, they work fine in a mix, but I'd never want to use one as my only source of guitar tones. The Pod and J-Station LAYERED together woerk VERY well, and that's another tonal option - if you can afford two different amp sims, you can definitely get more tones and have more flexibility over what you'd have with either one alone.

Of course, I still like to have "real" amps going in the track as well. But the sims are nice as additional colors and flavors, especially when layered with other, "real" amps in a track.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.