Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2016, 01:26 AM

Default UNDO sometimes stops working!!!!

Just got embarrassed myself in front of a client twice these days...
I was working on a session (about 80 tracks including VIs) and we were making some arrangements in midi editor..When the client wanted to undo some stuff...the UNDO command didn't work at all...including audio...meaning when i dragged a clip to the left in timeline when hitting undo, the clip didn't move to previous position...
I thought this was just a bad day for the app because i was working on it for 10-11 hours ...but this happened again yesterday, about after 1 hour of working or so...
However,if i close the session and reopen it,undo command seems to work again...but that's not the case

Don't think i had this issue before 12.5.2
Anyone has similar experience?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:52 AM

Default Re: UNDO sometimes stops working!!!!

Strange but wouldn't put it past Pro Tools. When you Say "However,if i close the session and reopen it,undo command seems to work again...but that's not the case".

When you close the session and reload it, undo functions for previous changes or the changes you make after reopening. Its a pain if that fixes it because you have to keep doing it.

Windows or Mac?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
Strange but wouldn't put it past Pro Tools. When you Say "However,if i close the session and reopen it,undo command seems to work again...but that's not the case".

When you close the session and reload it, undo functions for previous changes or the changes you make after reopening. Its a pain if that fixes it because you have to keep doing it.

Windows or Mac?
Hi PhilG
I meant that if i close the session and reopen it,then the undo function come back to life...
I am on mac 10.10.5
Old 08-03-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos4 View Post
Hi PhilG
I meant that if i close the session and reopen it,then the undo function come back to life...
I am on mac 10.10.5
restarting PT yes fixes, but that Clears the Undo History so all of those changes are lost .. i would really like to see the undo history be intact for our entire sessions .. why do we have to lose this .. ??? makes going back a bit very very hard ..

i still want to see the undo history come back to normal - using Commit still Clears the History once Commit is undone .. it is being looked at but no fix yet .. hang in there ... i am sure it will be restored to pre-Commit behavior ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-03-2016, 09:56 AM

I would very much like to see the unlimited, selective undo of Nuendo/Cubase - at least they used to have it. Every action is stored in a file and never flushed unless you chose to do so. (Pro Tools has several actions that will flush the undo cue, commit's being undone just the latest.) When I say selective, here's what I mean:

Say you have done 10 actions and want to undo number 5. In other programs, not just Pro Tools, you would undo back to number 5, then have to rebuild your actions back to now number 9. In Nuendo/Cubase you would simply delete number 5 from the undo cue and the program would rebuild back to now number 9. In other words, once number 5 is deleted, it's like that action and it's effect on subsequent actions never happened. Brilliant. And yes, IIRC, I added this to IdeaScale several years ago. I've certainly posted about it before.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-03-2016, 10:02 AM

I cant remember the details, but there is an action that is deleting your undo que. I believe it might be undoing commited or frozen audio. I know there is a bug about it, but cant recall it 100%

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-03-2016, 10:03 AM

I believe that's the way DP works as well.

Steve
Old 08-03-2016, 11:08 AM

If you leave the undo history open, you can go back and forth between undo states. But if you select the middle point of your history AND perform any undoable action, you will lose the most recent undos. That works that way in Nuendo I do believe. Some programs have an option to save undo history upon closing. You might have to resort to a save as series if necessary.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:17 PM

I got hit with that a few days ago(also 12.5.2). Then today I got a string of crashes while trying to import tracks(session data) from a session I just closed After a system restart, import worked fine. I still get lots of system "burps"(which never happen on 11.3). System usage meter sits at below 25% but has the dancing line that bounces between 30 and 85%, and if it pops to the top and turns red, PB stops with the "burp" noise. Fun fun

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave