Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-02-2022, 01:31 AM

Default Error Launching Video Engine

Is anyone getting "Error Launching Video Engine - there may be a problem with the installation" since installing the latest update? I tried running Pro Tools with administrator privileges which didn't help.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Error Launching Video Engine

I had this on my first install of 2022.9. I uninstalled, restarted, re-installed, restarted and then it came back happy.

I never learn. I should ALWAYS install this way - my first attempt was just uninstall / reinstall with no restarts in between, and Pro Tools simply doesn’t like it.

EDIT - I say it came back happy - the video engine is now fine, but Melodyne is not working on stereo files. The fact others don’t have this makes me think it might still be a slightly screwed up install, even though I restart between every step.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-02-2022, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I had this on my first install of 2022.9. I uninstalled, restarted, re-installed, restarted and then it came back happy.

I never learn. I should ALWAYS install this way - my first attempt was just uninstall / reinstall with no restarts in between, and Pro Tools simply doesn’t like it.

EDIT - I say it came back happy - the video engine is now fine, but Melodyne is not working on stereo files. The fact others don’t have this makes me think it might still be a slightly screwed up install, even though I restart between every step.
Interesting. Some folks here have said new versions should install over the top of existing ones without any issues (which is what I had been doing). I personally prefer to uninstall and reinstall new software.

Edit: Not sure why it would only affect a few either but everyone's systems are unique and things can go wrong...
Old 10-02-2022, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kol12 View Post
Interesting. Some folks here have said new versions should install over the top of existing ones without any issues. I personally prefer to uninstall and reinstall new software.
Again, I think it’s the computer restarts between each step that seem to make a big different with Pro Tools.

I thought that last time I installed I didn’t restart and got away with it so I foolishly tried it one more time. Sometimes you might get away with installing over the top of an existing install, but for me far often than not it’s taken far longer to then have to then redo it all painstakingly because something broke the first time.

The Pro Tools installer (on Windows anyway) is truly awful. It’s normal here to have to wait entire minutes with no sign of activity or even a setup screen before it suddenly lurches into life. And it’s incredibly unreliable. Why with all that fuss it cannot do it its own housekeeping for a tidy and reliable install each time is beyond me.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-02-2022, 09:24 AM

Just wanted to shout out Guy for sharing his install process! In the middle of a film project I installed 2022.9 and had the same video engine error. Following manz suggestions, uninstall/restart/install/restart, got me back in the game. Very much appreciated!!! 💪
Old 10-02-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napping View Post
In the middle of a film project I installed 2022.9 ...
In the future, I would avoid doing an update in the middle of a project. There can be a lot of things that go wrong. It is not worth the risk. Updates can wait.

In my case, I try to have two working systems. That way, if one goes down, I have another system to keep working. I just move my ilok to the other system.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 01-20-2023, 12:44 AM

...installed 2022.12 - and bang..."Error Launching Video Engine"

I have also tried to...

After uninstalling Avid Pro Tools from Windows Apps & Features > Programs and Features menu and restarting, Avid Video Engine remains installed.
To uninstall Avid Video Engine, select it from the same menu and uninstall it as well.

Uninstalling Pro Tools does not uninstall all components that are installed with Pro Tools (PT-202003)
When you uninstall Pro Tools using the Programs and Features Control Panel, some components that are installed with Pro Tools are not uninstalled
(such as Avid Effects, Avid Application Manager, and Avid Application Manger Helper).

Use the Programs and Features Control Panel to uninstall these components separately.

But still...

Please advice...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg video-engine-error.jpg (15.5 KB, 0 views)
CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER E-ATX
RAM: 64 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4
Screen card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC

Last edited by mandal; 01-20-2023 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:44 AM

Unless something has changed recently, no, you can’t “install over a previous version” on Windows. You are, or at least have been in the past, prompted to uninstall your existing version first.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:29 AM

From the documentation…

. Close all sessions and Quit Pro Tools.
2. Go to Control panel > select Programs and Features select Avid Video Engine then select Uninstall.

Install the Avid Video Engine from the Pro Tools Utilities.

1. Copy and Paste this to search C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\Pro Tools Utilities\Avid Video Engine
The Avid Video Engine Install Shield Wizard will popup then proceed to install.

I don’t have the Avid Video Engine in that folder…

...the same problem in this thread
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421441
CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER E-ATX
RAM: 64 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4
Screen card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC

Last edited by mandal; 01-20-2023 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:31 AM

I've had this happen on 2022.12 about 2 weeks ago. I restarted the computer and everything ran fine. Hope you get it going.

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"