Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2021, 04:13 AM

Default Pro Tools with Upgrade and Support plan 2015 (NT)

Hello!

I own a perpetual license for Pro Tools 10/11/12, the support plan ran out with PT 12.5, so this is what i use now.

In my iLok i also have a product called Pro Tools with Upgrade and Support plan 2015 (NT)
It includes; Pro Tools 10, Pro Tools 11, Pro Tools 12 & Pro Tools 2016

I never activated the upgrade and support plan because in the iLok manager i get an ominous prompt that i have to surrender my PT perpetual license. And then i just sort of forgot about it until now.

Now, my question is; If i activate this now, what would happen? Would i lose my perpetual license and get put on some sort of subscription deal?
Would i be upgraded to PT 12.8 or an even newer version? (What is Pro Tools 2016?)
And would i lose any licenses? I still have some legacy sessions in PT 10 that i need to access every so often.

Thank you for your time,
Sebastian
Old 07-27-2021, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools with Upgrade and Support plan 2015 (NT)

Hold on to your Perpetual license/s – you’ll lose them if you Crossgrade to Subscription

Avid Online Store: Can I cancel or return my subscription
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...y-subscription
“Subscriptions and upgrade plans are non-cancelable and non-returnable. You may change your auto-renewal preferences in your MyAvid Master Account, but no refunds will be paid on any remaining subscription or upgrade plan period.”

If you needed the latest version of Pro Tools for a future project, it appears you can now Subscribe Monthly for the length of your project, then “turn off auto-renew in your Avid Account prior to the end of your current subscription term”:

Monthly product Subscription
Subscription Terms & Conditions - Avid Technology
https://www.avid.com/legal/subscript...and-conditions

“Your monthly subscription for Avid products will start when Avid confirms your payment and will continue for a period of thirty days. When you purchase a monthly subscription on the Avid Online Store, auto-renew is automatically selected in your Avid Account. At the end of the monthly subscription period, you will automatically be signed up and billed for an additional subscription term of 30 days at then-current pricing. If you do not wish your subscription to auto-renew, you may turn off auto-renew in your Avid Account prior to the end of your current subscription term.”

Caveat to Mods & Higher:
Please correct me if one can't end a Subscription after a Month (by turning off auto-renew)
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 07-27-2021, 04:47 AM

Hey UnkJE,
Thank you for your quick response!

You're right, losing my perpetual licenses is exactly what i don't want to happen.
But it is not entirely clear to me that that is what will happen with the Upgrade and Support plan that i have.

It kinda sounds to me that it would just be an extension of the 1 year upgrade plan that came with the perpetual license, but i might be wrong.

Additionally it also seems strange to me that i would even have an option to change to subscription through the iLok manager. Partly because i never bought a subscription, so i would be weird that Avid would include an option where i could accidentally remove my perpetual license on my iLok. And also because i would think that some sort of billing information would be needed in order to start a subscription.

If you have further insights, that would be much appreciated.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:00 AM

Pro Tools Licensing: I didn’t purchase an Upgrade Plan for my older version of Pro Tools or I let my upgrade plan expire. What are my options to get new versions
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...t-new-versions

If you own a perpetual license with an expired Software Updates + Support Plan, you can purchase the following:
Pro Tools Subscription Crossgrade (monthly or annual discounted for the first 2 years)
Pro Tools Subscription (new monthly or annual)
Pro Tools Perpetual License (includes an annual Software Updates + Support Plan)

You lose your Perpetual licenses if you Crossgrade:

“Surrender of perpetual license is required for crossgrade”
https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...YNA00000&cclcl
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 07-27-2021, 05:21 AM

The only reference in the material you linked to an Upgrade and Support plan, that i have an unactivated copy of, is the Update + Support plan here;
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/upgra...&store=#show-0

So that leaves me more confused. It does seem that the Update + Support plan is the plan that will extend your free upgrades by a year, but you get to keep the perpetual license. But you can only buy it (or use it?) if you still have an ongoing Update + Support plan.

So what would happen if i activate my plan now? Just nothing because i don't have an active update + support plan?
And is my Upgrade and Support plan even the same as an Update + Support plan

Sorry that i keep asking, but i'm still pretty confused about all this.