Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-05-2022, 10:48 AM

Default No Input from AVID HD I/O

OS - 10.15 Catalina
Pro Tools Version - Ultimate
Hardware - Switchcraft PT16FX2DB25 to PT16MX2DB25 via a DB25 cable to Focusrite ISA828 Mk2 to AVID HD I/O

I cannot get an input signal in any track on Pro Tools.

Solid output via S/PDIF to PreSonus Monitor Station v2.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:55 AM

Default Re: No Input from AVID HD I/O

Hi, welcome to the community.

Please take a look at the Help Us Help You page linked to the forum header.

How are you connecting HD interface to your computer? It needs to be via DigiLink, it will not work standalone.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

Please take a look at the Help Us Help You page linked to the forum header.

How are you connecting HD interface to your computer? It needs to be via DigiLink, it will not work standalone.
My apologies. Yes, the HD interface is connected via DigiLink through Thunderbolt.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:17 PM

Then which version software you are using? Compatibility info here.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:24 PM

More info might help. But also much of the likely testing you just have to do yourself.

Has this ever worked for you? What changed?

Lights on the HD I/O box?

Is the HD Native showing up as the playback engine? If not is Pro Tools actually starting up and saying in the splash screen that it is HD or Ultimate?

Does the HD I/O pass Digitest?

Did you try Defaulting IO>{input, output}?

Have you checked that the DB-25 cables have correct pinouts. I don't care what it says on the cables, actually check with a multimeter/continuity tester.

You tried testing just the line level inputs? If nothing else check you have a correctly wired DB-25 cable and connect that cable between HD I/O output and input, and bung the signal gen plugin on an output(s) and test. Maybe test if any of the chassis digital inputs work.

Done any standard troubleshooting? Always start by trashing prefs. See under "Help us help you" up the top of ever DUC web page.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
More info might help. But also much of the likely testing you just have to do yourself.

Has this ever worked for you? What changed? I am new to this studio as it was set up by a previous teacher but then ultimately taken apart during COVID. Trying to get it all up and running again for my students. I am newer to Pro Tools software and ultimately hardware so this is all very foreign to me.

Lights on the HD I/O box? Yes

Is the HD Native showing up as the playback engine? If not is Pro Tools actually starting up and saying in the splash screen that it is HD or Ultimate? Yes to both

Does the HD I/O pass Digitest? Yes

Did you try Defaulting IO>{input, output}? Yes

Have you checked that the DB-25 cables have correct pinouts. I don't care what it says on the cables, actually check with a multimeter/continuity tester. I have not attempted this yet due to a lack of knowledge on how to do so

You tried testing just the line level inputs? If nothing else check you have a correctly wired DB-25 cable and connect that cable between HD I/O output and input, and bung the signal gen plugin on an output(s) and test. Maybe test if any of the chassis digital inputs work.

Done any standard troubleshooting? Always start by trashing prefs. See under "Help us help you" up the top of ever DUC web page.
I am thinking the problem must be in the DB25 cables?
Old 12-05-2022, 03:19 PM

Using Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Old 12-05-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I am thinking the problem must be in the DB25 cables?
It might be, but don't guess test. It might be the preamp is not outputting an analog signal, it might be any cable or patch panel in the signal path, it might be the analog input board in the HD IO is faulty, it might be... if you can't spot a problem quickly then simplify stuff as much as possible, and start at one end and follow the signal path to the other end.

Quote:
Have you checked that the DB-25 cables have correct pinouts. I don't care what it says on the cables, actually check with a multimeter/continuity tester. I have not attempted this yet due to a lack of knowledge on how to do so.
Every studio needs a multimeter. Just buy a basic one but make sure it has continuity beeper mode. Like this Fluke (a basic model from a high-end manufacture. Watch out for really cheap models there that are grey market imports from overseas... they might be fine, but you might not be able to find English language documentation, etc. )... https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-107-Cur.../dp/B00HEAMMIC

DB-25 connectors not surprisingly have pins numbered from 1 to 25, typically the numbers are printed into the plastic in small type right next to the pins. Hold the multimeter probes on the pins on each connector and make sure the matching pins and only the matching pins have continuity. The meter will beep in continuity mode when there is very low resistance (i.e a continuous circuit) between each lead.

Analog balanced audio DB-25 to DB-25 cables will just connect each pin to each pin, typically with no connection between pin 13. Make sure you are not using a digital cable by mistake which is very different. See https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/...-25_Pinout.pdf. Be careful wether you are looking at the connector or illustrations of it from the front of back as the pin layout/numbers will reverse.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-05-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:39 PM

Does the Focusrite ISA have the digital option card? Want to ensure you're going Analogue Out of the ISA into the Analogue In of the HD IO.

Unless you're going AES to AES, we don't really know unless you specify.

I would take the Switchcraft out of play and directly connect the DB25. Need to test that it's the correct DB25 as stated above.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:18 AM

Easier way to test db25-db25 cable would be connecting them to avid hd analog outs and analog ins, then create hardware inserts in pt mixer, then have a signal generator feed the signal through the insert loop cable you just created. If the signal goes thru, the cable is fine. Dummy test but does not require a meter (which, as said, is still useful to have available).