Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2022, 11:30 PM

Default I bought iZotope RX Post Production Suite 7. Now your opinion is needed.

Included in RX Post Production Suite 7:
--
RX 10 Advanced
Neutron 4
Nectar 3 Plus
Tonal Balance Control 2
Dialogue Match
Stratus 3D by Exponential Audio
Symphony 3D by Exponential Audio
Insight 2
--

About RX 10 Advanced - it is clear and it works individually.
But the rest == Neutron 4, Nectar 3 Plus, Tonal Balance Control 2, Dialogue Match, Stratus 3D by Exponential Audio, Symphony 3D by Exponential Audio, Insight 2 - they need some kind of DAW.
I have no experience with DAW's.
In fact, I now have clear that only RX 10 Advanced would have been enough for me. But nevertheless, I want to test and go on.

Why would I like to use it? It is something very simple- I bought Tascam Portacapture X8 and Shure VP88 mic and I wish for the recordings made with them make some post production. Nothing more
So basically I need to make cutting (trim) and also I want to scattering the cuts, that the beginning and end of the recording would not be ugly "chips". Fade-in and Fade-out from RX 10 Advanced do it perfectly!

Now I just want to find out what I can do with these things for learning- Neutron 4, Nectar 3 Plus, Tonal Balance Control 2, Dialogue Match, Stratus 3D by Exponential Audio, Symphony 3D by Exponential Audio, Insight 2.
Maybe you can suggest if Pro Tools be suitable for my wish and what versioon- I personally don't know.

https://www.reaper.fm/
This was another suggestion from iZotope Customer Care Team. Reaper is another widely used and very powerful DAW which is much more modestly priced.
I don't know what to choose! Please tell me that! ;-)

One more thought/question- can I change (make post production) for the sound of the iPhone made video recording with it? It could be of interest to me, but it is not very important.

Finally, I have Windows 11 Home (Lenovo Legion 5 Pro laptop). Since I am a home user and it is a hobby for me, I rather do not want to spend too much on it. Maybe even leave as it is?

I look forward to your recommendations and I would be very grateful!
If there is someone who uses this combination == RX Post Production Suite 7 & AVID Pro Tools, I would be very interested in feedback!

Urmas
Old 10-13-2022, 03:19 AM

Default Re: I bought iZotope RX Post Production Suite 7. Now your opinion is needed.

This is very confusing.

Lets start with what you mean exactly by "post production"? That is typically used in the audio industry to refer to a video post production... dialogue editing/mixing, ADR, special effects, music, etc... but if you mean making a song/music this would normally just be called mixing, maybe followed by separate mastering process, and that all follows tracking/recording.

what exactly are you doing? For what exact project/deliverable? You are making your own music? spoken word/audiobook? what type of music? with vocals? what instruments? Or you live recording for video? To the Tascam? You got the Stereo Mic for handheld mic use for on-camera interviews? otherwise a stereo mic is not the first external mic we expect to see folks use... would normally be mono. If this is video work, who is editing the video and what software are they using?

Izotope RX is focused on audio repair, you should not need this when getting started in any audio work, unless say you had an archive of recordings you needed to clean up, it is just not any place to start. If you arerecording stuff and need RX, focus on learning to record so you don't need it. Likewise for much of the other stuff, wasting time with complex stuff like RX and Neutron may just hurt you learning basic audio/music editing and mixing. If there are special features/effects you want from this other complex software there will be time for that in future.

If some sales rep talked you into buying all this crap then go get your money back now. And instead of buying stuff like Izotope the critical place to spend money early on is often on audio monitors, room treatments etc. so you have a listening environment you can edit and mix in well. If you do not have that, you really really should not be wasting money on things like Izotope yet.

So yes sounds like you need a DAW and if you can explain what you are doing more clearly you will get better help here. But what you likely need more than a DAW is help in what you are doing, good help is often by finding an online tutorial video on YouTube showing beginners how to do whatever it is you are after. that will be specific for the DAW, looking at Pro Tools and Reaper videos close to what you are trying to do is a good place to start. Groove3 also has good online commercial instruction videos. But the best help is often find somebody, a band mate, coworker, anybody you know, who does what it is you want to do and seems competent and get their help/advice.. and then get the same DAW they use.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-13-2022 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:23 AM

Default Re: I bought iZotope RX Post Production Suite 7. Now your opinion is needed.

Welcome! I applaud your ambition and desire to learn more in this strange world of audio.

I ditto Darryl’s suggestions. I will only add that Pro Tool offers a free version now called Pro Tools Intro. Google it and try it out for starters. There are a lot of tutorial videos online as well.

Re: Izotope, unfortunately their policy for software purchase is non-refundable but you can try. Perhaps you could sell your bundle at a minimal loss. That must have been a hefty expense.

Good luck and be sure to post any future questions with as much detail as you can provide. This helps the community help you.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:18 AM

Hello,
Thank you both very much for your answers!!!

I will answer to Darryl Ramm first. No, I do not record music in the studio sense.
Examples, what I will do:
1) I sit down on Town Hall to record people locomotion, on-line rumble and noise, etc.
2) Explosion of the Baltic railway station in the market hall. Also the noise from the Baltic station (the lawyear says what the train goes and the train goes from, the train will let whistle, etc.)
3) To manage the Matsalu bird observation tower and the field recording all the birds chirp.
4) Somewhere in the tavern, like Olde Hansa and record the novel.
5) Shaking the sea and the river, for example, one evening on the beach and elsewhere (in the forest)
6) On the edge of the TV tower, there is the sound of silence and wind.
7) Various churches if possible (very interesting acoustics)
8) Maybe some concert, such as Song Festival Grounds (if possible)
9) Flying of a Destruction aircraft.
10) In the Zoo
11) etc. etc. etc.

its2loud - does Pro Tools Intro support them:

I made a quick comparision:

--

Neutron 4
Supported Hosts
Logic Pro, Ableton Live 10.1 - 11, Pro Tools 2021-2022, Cubase 10.5 - 12, FL Studio 20, Studio One 5, REAPER 6, Bitwig Studio 4, Audition CC, Premiere Pro CC, Nuendo 11, Digital Performer 11.

Dialogue Match
Supported Hosts
Pro Tools 11.3.1P–Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10
* Dialogue Match is only available as an AudioSuite for current versions of Pro Tools for offline processing. It is not currently supported for use in Media Composer, or any host application other than Pro Tools 11 or later.

Nectar 3 Plus
Supported Hosts
Logic Pro, Ableton Live 10.1 - 11, Pro Tools 2021 – 2022, Cubase 11 - 12, FL Studio 20, Studio One 5, REAPER 6, Bitwig Studio 4, Adobe Audition CC, Premiere Pro CC, Nuendo 11 – 12, Reason 12, Digital Performer 11.

Stratus 3D
DAWs/NLEs
Pro Tools 2022, Live 11, Logic Pro, REAPER 6, Cubase 12, Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Studio One 5, Audition CC, Digital Performer 11.

Symphony 3D
DAWs/NLEs
Pro Tools 2022, Live 11, Logic Pro, REAPER 6, Cubase 12, Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Studio One 5, Audition CC, Digital Performer 11.

Insight 2
Supported Hosts
Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 10 – 11, Pro Tools 2020 - 2022, FL Studio 20, Cubase 10.5 – 12, Nuendo 11, Studio One 5, REAPER 6, Reason, Audition CC, Premiere Pro CC, Digital Performer

Tonal Balance Control 2 Features
Supported Hosts
Logic Pro, Ableton Live 10 – 11, Pro Tools 2021, FL Studio 20, Cubase 10 - 12, Nuendo 11, Sound Forge Mac 3, Studio One 5, REAPER 6, Reason 12, Audition CC, Premiere Pro CC.

--

It turns out that the answer to my question is a lot of variations.
However, I remain a question, that if I choose AVID Pro Tools, what version?
I can see that in case of REAPER 6 I'll lose *Dialogue Match*
In case REAPER 6 I probably win a lot in the price. But other things, Pros and cons, besides the price?

In my ears is mingling this sentence, which said one authority:
//The reason I mention this is because Pro Tools is the Industry Standard for audio recording and editing.//

And I would certainly like your confirmation which version of Pro tools would match more my needs what I put in the initial post.

Last edited by inspire; 10-13-2022 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:21 AM
Development Partner

You can actually run the plugins from inside RX10. But it's a less-than-ideal way to do it. You need the immediacy of a DAW to make adjustments quickly and tweak according to what you hear. The new free version of Pro Tools should do the trick for you.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:30 PM

Ready!
Fire!
Aim!
Old 10-13-2022, 08:50 PM

Run!

Kidding. But seriously it is a deep and tiring industry with some moment of but more

I have RX PPS 9 and use it with PT Ultimate, now Flex I guess.

If your primary use for RX is post production, then Pro Tools is the best bet at least in the US and some other regions of the world as it is the standard.
If you are just recording sounds for "insert here" then anything would work, you just have to learn it.

If it is music then you have to look at what is going to work for you the best. I know Pro Tools so well, other DAWs frustrate me so it is my primary DAW for music even though I own Reaper, Logic and Cubase.
Cubase would be the closest I know after Pro Tools.

Not completely understanding your "whole" need for everything.
Almost every plugin
Old 10-13-2022, 09:28 PM

Urmas

OK Thanks for clarifying stuff, ambient recordings, an unusual use, and that explains the stereo condenser microphone. I bet you'll be buying some shotgun mics in the future. What you are doing makes worrying about your needs much easier, since you actually can get away with just about any DAW. I wonder if you can find a local (or non-local) community of others interested in this, like a facebook or google group or similar? Would be a great place to learn.

I really feel you dived in the wrong way here and are unlikely to make quick progress unless you put aside this suite while you learn a DAW.

You are doing this yourself for a hobby and really could use any DAW they are all going to have what you need. Which is basic editing and mixing and initially support for simple plugins, compressors, limiters, maybe reverbs, echo and more exotic things if you want to artistically manipulate the sound. Again I'd be encouraging you to learn how to work with those basics before trying to do stuff with iZotope, again learn to not need RX. And mastering oriented tools like Neutron you should not need, really should be able to do by hand.

One thing I'll mention is Michael Carnes who commended above actually developed the Exponential plugins that are included in what you purchased. I expect they are as great as his really good Exponential Reverb plugins. And maybe spatial audio is something you want to play with... but if so you will need to be working with a DAW that can handle that, which say for 5.1 or 7.1 channel surround, which in the Pro Tools family pushes you to Pro Tools Studio, which at $299/year for a subscription may be more than you want to pay. You also need to get a multi-channel playback audio interface and audio monitors capable of doing justice to a surround sound format. Just wanted to mention that if that is where you are planning to go it might push you towards Reaper.

If you have anybody you work with/know who can help you then get the same DAW they are using. Otherwise you can start with the free Pro Tools Intro version or get Reaper for $60 all up for personal use. Pro Tools Intro is a new starter version, a new thing from Avid, who frankly have messed up entry level versions before, but this one is so much better done, and if you like it/need more capability you can upgrade to Pro Tools Artist or higher versions, all for monthly subscriptions. All the software is the same install just differentiated by the license you have. All the (too many) versions of Pro Tools are outlined here: https://www.avid.com/pro-tools. The only concern with Pro Tools Intro is it is light on plugins, but most of us end up buying more plugins as we need them and there is more than enough for you to learn just getting started.

Both those choices would be top of my list for getting started, there are many other DAWS, so again be guided by finding folks who can help you. And many of us get used to several DAWs picking what to use to fit in with others or for special needs where one DAW is better than the other...like tracking audio, MIDI composition, recording or working with audio for video, etc. in your case there unlikely will be no version better than the other (unless surround sound support is important to you).

And again if learning by yourself, find those tutorial videos closest to what you want to do, likely wont' be people doing ambient audio work, and try to follow the exercise in the tutorial all way through, then use what you learn to do what you want. There is potentially so much here, you need to get good at quickly cheating by finding tutorials or you are likely to go around in circles lost and many new users who try to just leap in and "work it out" themselves.

And note above audiolex1 is using "post production" in the sense I explained, for video/film work.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:56 PM

Thank you to everyone who answered!
Michael Carnes, how can I run the plugins and use them inside RX10? I couldn't understand it. This is the main reason, why I am looking for DAW (to test all this iZotope RX Post Production Suite 7 bundle).
audiolex1 - can you tell about the versions? Pro Tools Flex - it is the most powerful and most expansive. Would this bundle work as well on Intro version (the cheapest). I fear, that not.
I would not want to test a full version for a month and then find out that everything works only with a full version.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:21 PM

In the standalone under utility, there is an plugin selection that allows you to open a 3rd party plugin for use.

Never tested it though

Update. It does seem to work. It is loading up all my AudioUnit Plugins and does have many of them. Dialog Match does not however. I never explored this so this is a nice thing to have when using Connect.
Almost every plugin

Last edited by audiolex1; 10-13-2022 at 11:06 PM.