Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Changing pre-roll causes access violation

This has happened repeatedly on two separate tracking dates, once while tracking a full set of drums (12 inputs) and today while tracking a full rhythm section (also 12 inputs). The reason I mention this is I've done numerous other overdub session in between those two sessions (1-4 tracks at a time) and haven't seen this happen at all.

In a nutshell, ocassionally when changing the pre-roll amount (immediately on entering the new value), PT spits up an Access Violation message. Clicking "ok" repeatedly does nothing to keep the box from popping right back up. The only resolution is ending ProTools via the Task Manager. Protools then requires a restart befor it will launch. Has anyone seen this behavior at all? The only plug-ins in common between these two sessions would be Focusrite d3 and RenEQ. Today's session included a MIDI Instrument track (running Art Vista Virtual Grand) but the other did not.

Seeing that it takes 5-10 min's to get everything back up and running each time this happens, I would really like to squash this one fast. Thanks all!

Ben
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 05-25-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Changing pre-roll causes access violation

This happened again yesterday on only one of three new sessions I had created. Just a couple audio tracks and only Digi Click and Waves RenEQ active (1 instance of each). Changing the pre-roll and hitting "enter" immediately causes the error. Rebooting, launching PT, re-loading the last auto-saved back-up session and attempting to change the pre-roll immediately caused the error again.

I normally adjust pre-roll using my HUI. For the rest of the day I began adjusting pre-roll by dragging the pre-roll marker on the ruler. The problem didn't happen again for the rest of the day, but I don't think this necessarily points a finger at a HUI/MIDI issue as its very unpredictable, impossible for me to reproduce on demand (I've spent some time trying...) and doesn't affect other sessions that are built the same.

Still stumped...
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 06-15-2007, 10:49 AM

What basic troubleshooting have you tried? Have you trashed the digidesign databases and preferences and volumes folder as specified in the general troubleshooting thread?

With access violations, I would first trash those files from all your drives internal and external, next might even uninstall any version of PT that has been on the system and reinstall PT. Something doesn't sound right. Did you ever install PT on a drive other than the system drive in the past?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:26 AM

Hi JohnnyG. Yeah, I've been through the usual routine...

This happened again yesterday. One thing that comes to mind is my use of template sessions. I have a single massive template session built in PT 7.3 that I use to pull in tracks/fx aux returns as needed. Ocassionally I'll also pull tracks in from a newly created session when doing overdubs with the same instrument on a different song to save time. Seeing that all these songs usually have different time bases, pre-roll amounts and grid views I'm wondering if there might be a conflict arising from importing tracks.

BTW, my template is a read-only file stored on my C: (system) drive which is set as a "transfer" drive in Workspace. This is done to force disk allocation to the correct destination audio drive.

Want to solve this one real bad...
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix