Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-04-2022, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools M1 support - dec 27th (beta)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
they should make a hard fork........then move forward.....and phase the old one out over a year.
Probably it is Apple driven and the one big feature of macOS 14 is that it will be Apple Silicon only. It would mean Avid, iLok, and plugin vendors have one year to be ready for it.

If not macOS 14, then 15 but writing is on the wall.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
they should make a hard fork........then move forward.....and phase the old one out over a year.
Huh? What? Why? You mean Avid or plugin developers? Phase what out after a year? Intel support?

The whole app bundle and universal binary approach is beautifully well done, and it’s not Apple’s first rodeo. There is essentially two separate versions of Pro Tools inside the bundle that looks to you like one app. The Intel one will get removed at some point when Avid stops supporting Intel.

This makes it very easy to install/keep doing stuff the same way as before, let’s folks test stuff/switch back and forwards if they need old plugin support etc.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:50 PM

I agree with Darryl.
and since we're all going to be beta-testers I take it we'll all get a discount (or free) updates for a year - rather than the annual $399 "support" fee.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
and since we're all going to be beta-testers I take it we'll all get a discount (or free) updates for a year - rather than the annual $399 "support" fee.
Makes sense to me.
Then again I might stay on v2020 and let everyone else do the job for me. For free.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:46 PM

after re-reading the initial post, I noticed that no actual year was specified.

""The release is now planned for December 27th and will be a public beta"
Old 12-04-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
I agree with Darryl.
Past users/testers of buggy code are going to want back-payment :)

I want to see Avid making money, but paying a company to report bugs in their software always grates with me. But having product managed complex software products (e.g. early VMware products) I could not imagine every not having a public beta on major new software releases. And for participants in the beta I would never want to charge them to report problems. Computer configuration management is such a mess that you just often can't catch enough corner problems on smaller private betas, yet those corner problems can affect lots of production users with a large enough user base. What private betas can be great for is making sure you know folks are deep testing some new feature/change in their specific environments (especially anybody asking for that change). Or good at checking the known unknowns in Rumsfeld speak, but not good for checking the unknown unknowns. ...so I do seriously like Avid running a public beta for this (but they should make it possible for anybody using that to report a bug).
Old 12-05-2022, 04:26 PM

I am taking a more positive spin on this. A public beta means that AVID is showing progress as opposed to promising ‘vaporware’. I don’t have anything pressing going on, I might try it out once I have plugin support from Waves, Plug-in Alliance, and Soundtoys.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Avid can do no right. If they don't release a public beta in December they're dragging their feet. If they do, regardless of how successful that release is, they're not doing enough. This forum would benefit from an ignore feature.

Personally, I'm excited to see this. Though I wonder how they will handle the presence of so many non-Native plugins. Will the plugins run in a shell which allows Native and non-Native to coexist? Will the presence of any non-Native plugins force us to run PT under Rosetta?

It will take a very long time for *all* of my plugins to make the Native update so I hope they've worked this out somehow.
Respectfully disagree. Avid CAN do right: Start acting like the most expensive DAW on the planet that it is, and lead the industry in customer care, performance, and innovation, instead of following woefully behind year after year. This would make me a proud AVID customer.

What plugins AREN'T m1 compatible at this point? Been a looong time since M1 come out. Fab, Valhalla, Acoustica, Native Instruments, Arturia, Softube, Output, Spectrasonics, iZotope, Eventide, (Waves and Soundtoys have AU's and VST's out already, with AAX's soon to follow upon PT release.)

Anything that isn't compatible at this point is by definition more behind the ball than AVID, and should probably be zapped off your hard drive for that reason alone lol. Or if you insist, Use Blue Cat Patchwork (M1 compatible) for your older plugins.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:39 PM

To think that an Apple Silicon version of Pro Tools could be considered vaporware is… well, I have no words.

I mean, did anyone seriously think it was not going to happen? Taking their time? Definitely. But never going to happen? Come on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
I am taking a more positive spin on this. A public beta means that AVID is showing progress as opposed to promising ‘vaporware’. I don’t have anything pressing going on, I might try it out once I have plugin support from Waves, Plug-in Alliance, and Soundtoys.
I'm with you on the positive approach. It's just a beta which we can try, or not. What's going to be challenging is your last sentence. Soundtoys (in particular) may take ages to become "supported."