Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-29-2002, 01:00 PM

Default Re: I am now desperate! Please DUC - come through for me!!!

Sorry I don't have any answers for you, I'm very much a novice around here. My question is that i notice many of you post your IRQ settings. Why is this? And how would I go about finding out my IRQ settings? Is it helpful in locating problems or slow downs in performance when you know the IRQ information?
Thanks....
Old 11-29-2002, 01:13 PM

To someone who knows what they are looking at, yup.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:18 PM

Trying "updating driver" of the Computer from ACPI whatever to Standard PC.

WinXP in Standard PC made my system go from 32+6 to 32+16 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .
Old 11-29-2002, 02:31 PM

Ive heard mixed info about the ACPI thing....might give it a try once I get the system stable as it is. I installed new drivers for Pormise controller, but now PT hangs on load. DAE LOADED is the last thing I see, then non responsive. Reinstalling now...
Old 11-29-2002, 02:36 PM

Reinstalle dProtools - still same problem!!! Loads DAE and then crashes! *****!! Please help
Old 11-29-2002, 02:47 PM

Matt, start with loading the latest drivers for everything. Also, you might want to check on which mobo BIOS version you have and let us know.

The 2000 MHz setting in BIOS is correct for the XP 2400... I actually have mine set to "manual" but we get to the same place and using the setting you have is just easier. Remember, that while AMD calls it a "2400" that cpu is actually running at around 2 GHz. 1.65 V is also correct for the Core voltage. 89 - 92 degrees F is fine (actually WAY under what I'd expect), 89 - 92 degrees C is NOT! Make sure it's F and not C. I have my system set to shut down if CPU tems exceed 65 deg C, and it usually runs in the neighborhood of 50 Deg C.

On the WD 80 GB drive, make sure you have the jumper set correctly... is it set to Master, Slave or CS (Cable Select)? Are you running it on the same cable as another drive? Personally, I prefer having each drive at the end of its own cable... with my CD-RW and DVD/CD-ROM drives on the onboard IDE primary and secondary and the system (C) and audio (D) drives on the two Promise IDE's.

BTW, 32 + 6 , while not spectacular, is nothing to sneeze at - I'm only getting 32 + 3 with a very similar system (but I'm using a Digi 002).

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 11-29-2002, 02:54 PM

BTW, what slot is the Digi 001 in? I'd prefer to see it on a lower IRQ - get it beneath the IDE's if possible. I think I was running mine in slot 3 or 4... I can't recall off the top of my head, nor do I recall which mobo slots "share" with what on the A7V333 mobo. I think slots 1/5 share an IRQ, and slot 2 shares with something or another... slot 3 / 4 are probably the ones to try with the 001. Anyway, traditionally the best results are often found with the 001 on its own IRQ, and usually with IRQ 9 or 10 giving the best results. SO even though it's a hassle, I'd suggest starting with swapping that card around and rechecking your IRQ's. You can also "assign" IRQ's in BIOS, but remember that anything that "shares" will switch around as well. It can be a PITA to set IRQ's, and you'll just have to try a few things. But it will probably be better if you can get the 001 on IRQ 9 or 10 all by itself with no sharing other than "ACPI steering".

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reply, Phil. I have installed all of the latest drivers for everything. Protools was running great this afternoon without the RAID card in place and onboard RAID disabled. I had protools running fine with the raid card in place with the older drivers that were not signed by XP (but PT would crash whenever I tried to access a session file off of the disk on the Promise). Now that I have the new drivers installed, Protools will not boot. It loads DAE and then crashes (just PT, the computer still remains functional - ctrl-alt-del end PT then fine.) I uninstalled PT, trashed the prefs folder. I know I will see an improvement in performance if I get the the IRQS set up differently (gotta learn how to force slots- forcing slots in Bis does not hold true for XP unless you disable ACPI - not ready for that yet). I guess Ill keep trying stuff - hopefully, someone here will have seen this before......
Old 11-29-2002, 03:07 PM

sorry - forgot to tell you - bios version 1015 (latest) and digi in slot 4. I have one drive attactched each to its own cable - tried changing to master and cable select... nogo
Cinemafixer
BTW- are you using onboard RAID? Couldn't get that going either....
Old 11-29-2002, 07:43 PM

I am REALLY LOSING IT!!!! (sorry to shout) I have tried everything, but can't get this problem resolved! I ran a system restore to yesterday and re-tweaked the computer. I reinstalled all of the most recent drivers. I reinstalled Protools. I have done EVERYTHING I can think of! Please someone help me! No matter what I do to change the system setup, Protools will no longer boot! Everything else on this machine runs great. I have no problem with other apps. I can't imagine what I should do now. Ill try a reinstallation of XP, but I doubt that will make a ***** of difference. am I missing sonmething? Got nothing.
Cinemafixer