Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #71  
Old 12-04-2021, 07:27 PM
EGS's Avatar
EGS EGS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,252
Default Re: Pro Tools reinstatements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Please note:
Do not register/redeem your Reinstatement with Avid until you are ready to use it.

Previous Reinstatements bought from Avid were automatically registered and redeemed when added to one’s Avid account, which started the Software Updates and Support Plan immediately.

If you’re buying a Reinstatement to use at a later date, please consider buying it from a Reseller, who will provide you with a code, which you can register and redeem in the future, when the time’s right for you.

https://www.avid.com/find-a-reseller

Explanation:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...nstatement-faq

Q: If I purchase a reinstatement and do not immediately redeem it, will it expire?
A: No. When you purchase a reinstatement from a reseller the code does not expire and you are able to use it at a future time. (Important to note that the clock on your Software Updates and Support Plan starts when you redeem the code in my.avid.com/products/redemption.) Avid will continue to honor reinstatement redemptions after we discontinue selling them.
Thanks for this^^^.

I let my perpetual plan lapse as of 2020.5. I'm tempted to buy this reinstatement (from a retailer I suppose) and just activate it later if (?) & when (?) AVID releases a useful version upgrade. Feels odd to buy under that premise... I think AVID has an unnecessarily convoluted licensing policy. Plus it's still pricey. Make it $100/year and I'd call it fair. (Fact: Studio One Pro can be updated anytime from any previous version for $149 & no subscription nonsense. No drama.)
__________________
Desktop: PT 2020.5 / Win 10 / Intel i9-11900K / Gigabyte Z590 Vision D / 64GB DDR4 / Focusrite LS56
Laptop: PT 2020.5 / Win 10 / Intel i7 / HP ProBook / U-PHORIA UMC1820
Legacy: PT 5 & 6 / OS9 & OSX / Mac G4 / DIGI001
Click for demo

Last edited by EGS; 12-04-2021 at 08:26 PM. Reason: clarify
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-05-2021, 10:08 AM
K Roche's Avatar
K Roche K Roche is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilds of Wyoming
Posts: 1,605
Default Re: Perpetual License Annual Subscription New Help !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBeMe View Post
For those unbelievers within our midsts lol

Here is a picture of the exact thing you have to buy and it does not say “1-Year” it says “Annual”. I would say it does not match Avid’s own explanation of what to purchase. And it does label it as “Move to Subscription” which is also unhelpful but I see why that would happen. They would have to get the development team to change the combo box labels and that may have taken a while to get actioned, whereas adding a new entry in a drop down is probably just a parameter change and then tie it to an existing sku.
I think we are not quite communicating I am not an "unbeliever"

I was not talking about the terms 1 Year or Annual
I was talking only about the terminology "Upgrade" and "Update".

Yes the offer is an "Upgrade" to get current to be able to get back on the "Update" + Support plan........

I don't doubt your PT page has that Move to Subscription option and the offer says Annual "Upgrade".... BUT note it then says "with Updates+ Support Plan" and I am guessing right above that Move to Subscription option it now says Software "Update" + Support Plan expires *****

Like it does on my page (now granted mine is Ultimate and I always had a a current plan and I am in US ) don't know if any of that makes any difference BUT
This is what my page shows

__________________
System :
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.12 .....Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen processor,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory,,2TB SSD storage,,Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory,, on Catalina 10.15.7

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-05-2021, 10:53 AM
MeBeMe MeBeMe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: london
Posts: 10
Default Re: Perpetual License Annual Subscription New Help !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I think we are not quite communicating I am not an "unbeliever"

I was not talking about the terms 1 Year or Annual
I was talking only about the terminology "Upgrade" and "Update".

Yes the offer is an "Upgrade" to get current to be able to get back on the "Update" + Support plan........

I don't doubt your PT page has that Move to Subscription option and the offer says Annual "Upgrade".... BUT note it then says "with Updates+ Support Plan" and I am guessing right above that Move to Subscription option it now says Software "Update" + Support Plan expires *****

Like it does on my page (now granted mine is Ultimate and I always had a a current plan and I am in US ) don't know if any of that makes any difference BUT
This is what my page shows

Actually I see what your point is now about the upgrade/update, I get what your saying now. But that is because you have a renewal on screen. It does illiterate my point perfectly though, because your renewal is called 1-Year Updates..etc...but they have renamed all of that for the Reinstatement and called it "Annual Upgrade + with Software Updates..." what you see in your product page is not what it looks like when buying the new reinstatement. I know yours is a renewal so they will not be named identically, that is obvious, but I would expect the term "1-Year" to still be used and it is not BUT Avid tell the users it will be.

So my point is more about Avid not using the same terms when directing users what to buy. Avid use the term “1-year” when telling users what to look out for (see screenshot) but every option containing the term “1-Year” is actually a subscription (see screenshot). So an unsuspecting user, and by that I mean someone in a hurry or not paying full attention, might end up with a subscription by mistake. In fact the only option which does NOT use the term “1-Year” is the one a user should buy and is in fact the reinstatement (see screenshot). The reinstatement offer is only for users with a expired plan so they could have been more accurate in their advertising and directions and used it’s real name (see screenshot) because it would be the same name for everyone, they are all in the same boat, all expired or planning to use it once they had expired (if anyone has not already expired then DO NOT buy it from the Avid website because it starts straight away and you will lose any period you had left on the old plan). The art of selling is surely to make it easy for customers to buy with confidence and Avid make it subtly difficult at times.

What Avid could have stated is something like this:

“Please go to your My Products page and within the “Move to Subscription Box” the reinstatement will be called “Pro Tools Annual Upgrade with Software Updates + Support Plan” please note this is NOT a subscription but the reinstatement, all other option use the term “subscription” and should not be selected unless you plan to move to the subscription model. Please also note your current licence will be change to a cross-grade to subscription but your Pro Tools will remain perpetual. The reinstatement includes a subscription to selected plugins but the Pro Tools license will remain perpetual. “

That’s about all a user needs to know to buy with confidence.

I bought the right product and applied it but it was quite an unnerving experience because of the way it was labelled, were it was located and changes on my product page.

And after I reinstated my product page, which had said “Perpetual Product”, changed to “PerpetualSubscrition” and then 24 hours later changed back to the wording “Perpetual Product” again which was a worry lol

I think Avid would be better off just calling the thing a “Reinstatement” everywhere so the confusion is removed.

It was not really an issue before because there was no subscription model but now there is and more option to pick from so Avid need to be accurate. Because if a user accidentally buys and applies a subscription their perpetual is gone forever.

But maybe it doesn’t matter because they might never do this again so it’s mute. Anyway I got the reinstatement, I get it that there is a subscription element to it, Heat and All plug-in bundle, but Pro Tools remains perpetual. The product page looks messy for 24 to 48 hours but then resolved itself. All is now good. In my opinion, Avid do not help themselves in the way they go about selling. Also the fact I had to come to a forum to get help because their support team were of no help does not shock me, and it should.

Last edited by MeBeMe; 12-05-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-05-2021, 12:38 PM
Odome Odome is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Romania
Posts: 2
Default Re: Pro Tools reinstatements

Wow, I had a feeling they would do something like this, but seriously this is very worrying. How dare they do these kind of games to their userbase?

This is not freaking Peek-A-Boo... this should be a professional environment where you can depend on the values of the company you are invested in, not always navigating to avoid money traps and other dirty tactics..

Having this kind of aggressive cashgrab attempts just made me fully reconsider getting Carbon and go straight for an Apollo.

I was sold on the way it integrates and there are a lot of nice features... but seriously getting deeper into Cubase and Reaper has changed my life for the better. Using them in tandem is sooooo liberating I can do whatever I need in record time.

The control and reliability I get from both of them is enough to make me think thrice before continuing with ProTools. Was fun while it lasted but I have to say NO AVID... not me, not today and NOT in the future if you keep this cat and mouse game up. We're not some helpless victims with no choice anymore, there's plenty of other options out there that fullfill whatever you want us to imagine you fulfill (watching the video from Maroon 5 was shocking to me how ancient PT still is an how some of the features you barely implemented are de facto in other DAWs 10-15 years... shameful tbh)

BTW Still love the sound love the exclusive plugins, tightness, advance features etc...

love Carbon on paper, but really... and I mean really hate these low level marketing schemes to extract money from customers.

One of the main reason that I didn't got Ultimate last year was because of the reinstatement fiasco. Who in their right mind become a new customer with practices like these, when the competition basically wipes the floor when it comes to customer needs responsiveness.

Sorry for the rant but this just rubbed me way off
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-05-2021, 01:24 PM
Ben Jenssen's Avatar
Ben Jenssen Ben Jenssen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Oslo
Posts: 4,179
Default Re: Pro Tools reinstatements

MeBeMe; I completely agree!
I suspect it might be more a question of lack of competance and effort of sales personell than a concious strategy to fool buyers.
While I'm waiting for a response from Avid Sales about this whole thing, I've actually just bought a reinstatement from a local reseller, trusting that they will provide me with a 'redemption code' that I can use at the time of my choosing.
__________________
Life-long audio enthusiast and small studio owner. Retired.
Mac Mini 2018, six-core 3.2gHz i7, 32 gb RAM.
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Dynaudio BM6's, Command|8, SSL UC1.
Pro Tools 2020.11.0.157, Mac OS 10.15.7.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 12-05-2021, 01:44 PM
MeBeMe MeBeMe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: london
Posts: 10
Default Re: Pro Tools reinstatements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
MeBeMe; I completely agree!
I suspect it might be more a question of lack of competance and effort of sales personell than a concious strategy to fool buyers.
While I'm waiting for a response from Avid Sales about this whole thing, I've actually just bought a reinstatement from a local reseller, trusting that they will provide me with a 'redemption code' that I can use at the time of my choosing.
Agreed, it’s not malicious, it’s just a lack of care and attention to detail. It might well be the idea to sell reinstatements was something put together quite quickly. But it still would have been nice to have updated their info better and FAQ. Still, I’m really happy to have the reinstatement now, I may even get another from a retailer for future us.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 12-05-2021, 05:11 PM
Jay_uk Jay_uk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,237
Default Re: Pro Tools reinstatements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odome View Post
Wow, I had a feeling they would do something like this, but seriously this is very worrying. How dare they do these kind of games to their userbase?

This is not freaking Peek-A-Boo... this should be a professional environment where you can depend on the values of the company you are invested in, not always navigating to avoid money traps and other dirty tactics..

Having this kind of aggressive cashgrab attempts just made me fully reconsider getting Carbon and go straight for an Apollo.

I was sold on the way it integrates and there are a lot of nice features... but seriously getting deeper into Cubase and Reaper has changed my life for the better. Using them in tandem is sooooo liberating I can do whatever I need in record time.

The control and reliability I get from both of them is enough to make me think thrice before continuing with ProTools. Was fun while it lasted but I have to say NO AVID... not me, not today and NOT in the future if you keep this cat and mouse game up. We're not some helpless victims with no choice anymore, there's plenty of other options out there that fullfill whatever you want us to imagine you fulfill (watching the video from Maroon 5 was shocking to me how ancient PT still is an how some of the features you barely implemented are de facto in other DAWs 10-15 years... shameful tbh)

BTW Still love the sound love the exclusive plugins, tightness, advance features etc...

love Carbon on paper, but really... and I mean really hate these low level marketing schemes to extract money from customers.

One of the main reason that I didn't got Ultimate last year was because of the reinstatement fiasco. Who in their right mind become a new customer with practices like these, when the competition basically wipes the floor when it comes to customer needs responsiveness.

Sorry for the rant but this just rubbed me way off
Dont apologise for ranting. Your speaking for a lot, I,m sure.

This is shady behaviour at best.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 12-05-2021, 06:05 PM
sdelsolray sdelsolray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 180
Default Re: Pro Tools reinstatements

I froze my recording system a year ago and did not renew my PT Standard perpetual license (I'm using 2020.12). I decided to wait a couple of years until the Apple Silicon changeover was completed, until all of the software I use (including DAWs, plugins and hardware drivers) were robustly running natively on Apple Silicon and until the growing pains from such a massive change was in the rear view mirror. Some of that has occurred. Much has not.

I was tempted to reinstate now with Avid's current offer. I have decided against that because all the stars are not in alignment yet. And, perhaps not surprisingly, I have been using Studio One Professional as a second DAW for about 2 ½ years now and I am very comfortable with it. So much so that I am preferring it over PT, at least for my uses.

I have used two different Apple computers over the past 22 years. The second one is near end of life (no upgrade beyond High Sierra), but both PT 2020.12 and S1 5.4.1 are running just fine, as are about 180 plugins and my Apogee Element 46 interface. I want and expect my next Apple computer to last at least 10 years.

So, I'm just going to coast for the time being. Once Apple releases the M2 iMacs next year, I'll start looking at making the shift at some point after that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No more perpetual reinstatements from Sweetwater? musicman691 Licensing & Accounts 8 12-12-2020 10:33 PM
Suggestion about Reinstatements info unkJE Licensing & Accounts 0 12-11-2020 11:28 PM
FS: Pro Tools HD 8 + Pro Tools HD 9 + Pro Tools 9 Bundle iLOK license Delta Music Belgium Buy & Sell 1 02-27-2019 04:33 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com