Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 PM

Default Re: PT10 any improvement for composers?

These are all great points and I agree with the facility of Protools in music now. I started moving away from DP after years of using, (it 15 yrs.). because it was necessary to do everything in one application. I don't think it's quite there yet,, but I don't hurry myself when creative anyway, so in the end that helps me be very fast with it in the end in Protools. The basic deal is that it sounds way better than anything else. I just can't get the same quality out of anything else and believe me I have tried them all. I do like Nuendo and it's a great app., but really always am finishing in Protools and i my work, that's the deliverable.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-06-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dterry View Post
Perhaps regardless of the 64-bit aspect, Avid should team up with VSL to offer a VEPro package deal. Just a thought. It isn't a workaround as much as a valuable addition to the toolkit.
+1

Even if it's just an upgradeable "foot in the door" feature like the Ableton or Reason Lite freebie promos.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
+1 for all of the above.

I really like the MIDI side of PT, even if there are some things missing.
I was a Logic veteran of 14 years. Drove me ******* nuts in the end. I'm finding PT/VE Pro far more productive.

I could well imagine still using VE Pro even when PT has gone 64 bit.
Yeah I find Logic so superior for midi and composing that it's no comparison.
Command-option S "New with same midi channel" gets used a lot, the instant varispeed button for playing difficult to program parts, the bin on the right with all favorite patches for whatever instrument is current, and of course bounce in place.

Whenever I try to use midi and PT in "composer mode" I feel like I'm moving in slow motion. Not to mention tempo mapping, which Logic also kills PT at. And what's with the BPM (current) indicator? Is this an eye test? You have to unlock the BPM indicator for it to "light up" so you can see what tempo you are at just by looking at the counter.

No SMPTE start offsets ("Make Bar One =smpte number), etc.

But I love PT for doing straight audio.

TH
Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
Command-option S "New with same midi channel" gets used a lot, the instant varispeed button for playing difficult to program parts, the bin on the right with all favorite patches for whatever instrument is current, and of course bounce in place.

Whenever I try to use midi and PT in "composer mode" I feel like I'm moving in slow motion. Not to mention tempo mapping, which Logic also kills PT at. And what's with the BPM (current) indicator? Is this an eye test? You have to unlock the BPM indicator for it to "light up" so you can see what tempo you are at just by looking at the counter.

No SMPTE start offsets ("Make Bar One =smpte number), etc.

But I love PT for doing straight audio.

TH
+1 but with Cubase. Had to work on a PT session for a commercial yesterday using a whopping 5 instances of Kontakt. 6 crashes in 4 hours. Just awful. (and don't blame NI cause it would of also happened with any other VIs.)
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
+1 but with Cubase. Had to work on a PT session for a commercial yesterday using a whopping 5 instances of Kontakt. 6 crashes in 4 hours. Just awful. (and don't blame NI cause it would of also happened with any other VIs.)
As a Logic user right now, I'm interested to hear why you think this? I'm finding the workflow of some of PT's MIDI implementation really nice compared to Logic. Plus, using something like VE Pro (or Reaper right now in my case), you don't have to worry about PT's inherent performance issues. Granted this is more annoying then doing everything within the host, but is that the main issue you have? Just curious as I'm trying out PT. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 PM

VE Pro 2 is apparently just around the corner. (I'm hoping for MIDI sync for when it's in slave mode over a LAN)
Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 PM

On the composing front, I don't think PT10 brings any great value. For my dollar, I would want to see some more advanced midi features brought in. PT has improved the midi features, but it's still lacking in some real fundamental ones. Also, there could be a great deal more flexibility in short cuts and some GUI layout while dealing with midi. In comparison with DP or Logic, it's still sorely lacking in this department. Composing in PT overall, is still a more limiting process.

64bit is probably the least important on my list - seriously, VE Pro fills that need and in a much better way. Most composers are dealing with massively large template loads (8 to 20 gigs) and the time it takes to load is much too long for more than once a day. You wouldn't get much work done if you had to reload each session. For that reason alone, even if PT were 64, I think most composers would still elect to use VE Pro to save on the loading times.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownotesinc View Post
VE Pro 2 is apparently just around the corner. (I'm hoping for MIDI sync for when it's in slave mode over a LAN)
I think you mean VE Pro 5.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripit View Post
On the composing front, I don't think PT10 brings any great value. For my dollar, I would want to see some more advanced midi features brought in. PT has improved the midi features, but it's still lacking in some real fundamental ones. Also, there could be a great deal more flexibility in short cuts and some GUI layout while dealing with midi. In comparison with DP or Logic, it's still sorely lacking in this department. Composing in PT overall, is still a more limiting process.

64bit is probably the least important on my list - seriously, VE Pro fills that need and in a much better way. Most composers are dealing with massively large template loads (8 to 20 gigs) and the time it takes to load is much too long for more than once a day. You wouldn't get much work done if you had to reload each session. For that reason alone, even if PT were 64, I think most composers would still elect to use VE Pro to save on the loading times.
+1

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 11-08-2011, 10:12 AM

Thumbs up Re: PT10 any improvement for composers?

following this thread may I say I am not expiriencing any major problems with midi nor with my virtual instruments at this time. am I the only one ? everything is stable and working. as I am running the entire mixer on my tdm cards and most of the VI use RTAS and therefor the host-processors everything is tight and in time and working very well together. my configuration is as follows:
go to :
SETUP>PLAYBACK ENGINE
>H/W Buffer Size: 1024 Samples
>Host Processors> 7processors
> cpu usage limit:99%
>DAE Playback Buffer:level4
>Cache Size:large
>activate: optimize for streaming content on audio drives(check box)

DTS please comment...
why do I have to buy vienna ensemble pro ???

what is much more of an issue for me is that: some companies are really really bad with programming: sorry guys but for example arturia is one of them. go and use their collection within pro tools and you may crash your system pretty fast. and probably using pro tools in a native system is another cup of tea and that is where Vienna Ensemble Pro may makes sense. but together with tdm ...everything from the Avid AIR group or Native Instruments (like kontakt and so on) or GForce Instruments or AAS from canada is rock solid. using pro tools 9.0.5 HD TDM