Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2003, 01:22 PM

Default A couple general questions regarding shock mounts, wind screens, and pop filters....

Specifically, I have a pair of Oktava MC-012's. For shock mounts, would the only reason to use them on drum overheads be to save from getting a nasty sound if I accidentally bump the stand? Or do shock mounts also help isolate the mic from any resonant vibration coming through the boom stand which would result from being so close to the drum kit?

Also, if the latter holds true, then why not use shock mounts for all the drum mics? Is it because condensors are typically more sensative than dynamics and thus can pick up those vibrations much more readily than dynamic mics?

Okay, regarding pop filters and wind screens... I have a Studio Projects C1. It came with a foam wind screen that slips over the top of the mic. Does this also serve as a pop filter or do I still need to add one separately?
Old 06-30-2003, 06:42 PM

Default Re: A couple general questions regarding shock mounts, wind screens, and pop filters....

I shock mount all my mics for precisely the reason you state. Of course this also depends on the floor surface.

As for the pop filter - the foam windscreen will work as a pop shield. The main reason I use a stand mounted pop shield is to keep the singer from getting too close to the mic. ( which, of course, also further reduces popping)
Old 06-30-2003, 07:40 PM

Default Re: A couple general questions regarding shock mounts, wind screens, and pop filters....

I agree. The shield keeps the singer off the mic. I use SM57's and 58's. Live- the singer can get right on it. Recording- you need to back off and let the mic work. I've noticed the wind filters and pop filters will cut some of the high end- so I almost always opt for no screen.

July

MP3's
Old 06-30-2003, 08:13 PM

Popfilter solutions vary in quality. I think foam wind screens to be worst. Best should be well designed metal popfilter such as Stedman PS101 or the Royer model ( which is exactly the same build ). They are somewhere between 30 or 40 bucks or so, but worth it.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaman:
Best should be well designed metal popfilter such as Stedman PS101
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I second that.. I have that one and love it.
I put it about 2 inches from mic, and can sing where ever I want to from there.
And I can wash it easily after a while of getting my nasty breath on it..

tim