Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2010, 01:59 AM

Default Switching System Drives -- Disk Boot Failure?

Hi Guys.

I have 2 disk drives, ones an IDE Western Digital drive and the other a Seagate SATA drive (ST3320820AS). I realized I've been an idiot and had it backwards, running my system off the IDE drive and using the Seagate as backup.

I've been having lots of the infamous "white noise bursts" in Pro Tools that keep getting worse and worse and I've realized after researching on this forum that it might be because of this IDE drive.

Soooo...using XML Drive Image, I made an image of my system drive and restored it to the Seagate (after backing up and formatting it clean). Then I unplugged the WD digital drive.

Now when I boot it says "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Push Enter..."

I have misplaced the system disk that microsoft sent me for the XP Pro system, still looking for it (it's here somewhere)... I just want to know if there's any problems with what I've done (copying the image from the IDE to the Seagate Sata drive) or if this is a common error that is easily fixed once I have the disk...

Trying not to lose my mind...it's been a long night.

Thanks!

P.S. Does anyone know if I need to somehow switch it from "Slave" to "Master" ??? The Seagate has been working fine as a backup drive...I'm kind of unfamiliar with this crap...but I'm trying to see inside and I don't even see the jumpers to change it... ughhhhhh.... just....want....to....make.....musicccc....
Old 01-09-2010, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Switching System Drives -- Disk Boot Failure?

The SATA drive will need to be set up as the boot drive in the bios. You may have an issue with a drive image though, a drive copy with "Acronis True Image" (you can get a free trial) will serve you better.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-09-2010, 07:39 AM

From what you describe, I would at least go into the BIOS and see if you can choose the Seagate as the first boot device. Or maybe try disconnecting all other drives so the BIOS only has 1 choice to boot from.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Thank you guys!!!!!

Tom, you were right, and Acronis worked perfectly. I guess an image is really only meant for restoring the exact same drive. Makes sense.

Thank you thank you!!!!