Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-28-2008, 06:37 PM

Default Video Engine Failing to Launch

Hello,

I'm stuck in my troubleshooting and am looking for any advice you might have. I have a Canopus ADVC-300 FireWire video converter which worked perfectly with Pro Tools before upgrading the OS from 10.4 to 10.5 and Pro Tools from 7.3 to 7.4 as a "Video out FireWire" device while editing. Since the upgrade, while launching, Pro Tools reads "No recognized video hardware connected" followed by "Video Engine failed to initialize" in the boot screen. The Apple System Profiler sees the device correctly in the FireWire Device list, and Canopus software sees it as well. I have already checked for driver and firmware upgrades at the Canopus site, and needed no updates.

This seems like a Pro Tools issue, and I have no idea how to troubleshoot it from here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Current Setup:
Pro Tools HD 7.4.2
ICON D-Command 24
Digi XMON
Digi SYNC HD (linked to Apogee Big Ben)
(2) 192 I/O
Surround Panner

Mac Pro OS X 10.5.5
(Dual) Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3GHz
16 GB RAM
Also on FireWire: MOTU 828 mkII
Old 12-01-2008, 05:21 AM

Default Re: Video Engine Failing to Launch

It sounds like the Avid video engine is installed (you might have selected the option accidentally when you installed PT7.4). The engine looks for an Avid interface such as Mojo each time you launch. When it does not find one (because you don't have one I think) it gives those messages just before inactivating itself. No harm is done, no other Pro Tools capabilities are removed, you can still use your Canopus box.

Since you don't have Avid IO hardware you don't need that engine. You can remove it easily by navigating to the Pro Tools application directory. One of the folders in there will be called "Video Engine". Delete the folder. You will not harm anything in Pro Tools when you delete the folder. I like to rename the folder "xVideo Engine" instead of deleting it, in case I want to attach a MOJO later, but doing so means it won't be removed automatically when I uninstall or upgrade. Whatever, the next time you launch PT it will not try to load the Avid video engine. It will not affect your ability to use your Canopus box.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Video Engine Failing to Launch

Thank you! That fixed the problem during the boot screen. I still have issues with old video projects, but it seems that all I need to do is re-import the video and all is fine. New projects work perfectly! I never would have guessed that adding a letter to the Video Engine folder name would solve my problem.

Thank you again!

-Palmer Jankens