Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 06-13-2021, 08:10 PM

Default Help - Pro Tools First projects have disappeared!

I had been using PTF (Mac, 2020.9), for about a year as a stop gap measure. I just purchased Pro Tools (Mac, 2021.3), but here's the problem...

I followed a procedure (on a Pro Tools forum, don't remember which one), on how to completely remove PTF prior to installing PT. Thats all well and good until I went looking for my projects. They are not in the Cloud as I did not store anything there, and nothing is found on the HD. I even went back to a month-old Time Machine backup and again: nothing. The only hint was 12 files in the \project cache\ folder, which happens to be the number of projects I had (or thought I had stored), on my Mac.

Can they somehow be discovered and recovered? The last project was a fairly involved remix of my friends work and I would hate to go back and start from scratch!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-13-2021, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Help - Pro Tools First projects have disappeared!

Pro Tools First sessions or projects cannot be opened in Pro Tools. They are proprietary to Pro Tools First. To get back what got deleted when you uninstalled First, you’ll need to go back with Time Machine to before you uninstalled everything. You’ll either need to complete what you’re doing in First, or export tracks/stems to bring into a Pro Tools session to continue production.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-14-2021, 03:39 AM

As mentioned before, try to reinstall your Pro Tools First from Timemachine. The 6 Projects with encrypted Filenames include everything - your complete sessions. You must reinstall all from the Time Machine, because if you install PTF on its own it will override your local projects database and you wont be able to use them anymore.

After installing from TM you should be able to open your Projects and load them to your free cloud account. Only 3 at once. Then you can import the Projects in your Full Pro Tools and save them local as Sessions ptf or pfx like you want it. Not very userfriendly but better than to loose your work.

And, in my opinion, easier than open in PTF, freeze and stem them out.

Best

MacBook Pro 13, Mid 2012, 10 GB, 250 GB Crucial MX
macOs 11.6.5 / Windows 10
Wavelab Elements 11

Music was my first love - shine on
Old 06-14-2021, 12:46 PM

Well this just got complicated. Seems strange Avid would not have a migration path built into PTF or PT that would simplify this. After all isn't that the purpose of having an entry level version?

All right, so using TM I'll need to know the location and/or the name of every file used by PTF. Is that possible?

Also will this cause any problems with PT having PTF present on the same machine? I have a largely unused 750 MB storage drive in the same chassis; can PTF be restored there?

Thanks for all the help,
Dan
Old 06-14-2021, 02:39 PM

Not complicated at all. Just connect your TM - open Time Machine and select Applications. Scroll through Timeline untill you find last Time Pro Tools First was installed. Check reconstruct Pro Tools First. Boom, thats it.

Best

Wavelab Elements 11

Old 06-14-2021, 06:58 PM

Oh cool, that sounds simple (as expected on a Mac)! Shame on me for thinking it would be like a windows machine with the files scattered through out the HD and half of them hidden...
Old 06-14-2021, 10:21 PM

Ahh dang it. While I was able to restore the app, now I need an activation code. It's failing on "no activation licenses available in iLock.

Ideas please?
Old 06-15-2021, 10:36 PM

After log in with your avid account data on your ilok license manager you will see all your Licenses. Please activate or reactivate your Pro Tools First License.

Best

Wavelab Elements 11

Old 07-22-2022, 02:34 PM

Hi everyone,

I just was in the middle of a mix using PT First with projects stored localy, not in the cloud. Suddenly I got a message, thst PT will delete all files and sure enough, a minute later non of my 3 projects nor any other related files, like audio, are to be found!
I had no idea this bug exits, is there any way to recover the deleted projects??

Could realy use some help here!

Thanks, Andreas
Old 07-23-2022, 11:24 AM

Default Projects lost while mixing, all data lost

Hi all,

I just was in the middle of a mix using PT First with projects stored localy, not in the cloud. Suddenly I got a message, thst PT will delete all files and sure enough, a minute later non of my 3 projects nor any other related files, like audio, are to be found!
I had no idea this bug exits, is there any way to recover the deleted projects??

PS, a few weeks ago I had it in the cloud, but not since then.

Could realy use some help here!

Thanks,
Andreas