Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-22-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Same video frame rate still won\'t import - too often anyway

7.3.1cs3
DPG5 2G
2.5G RAM
PT3 Accel

We had a thread on this a while back, it's still a major bug, and a huge PITA. It happens more times than I can count, where PT refuses to import a video because the "frame rate doesn't the one that's in the session".

I've used the SAME FCP preset to output video's, and PT won't import the 2nd one. What gives?? If it's QT, and FCP can't output a frame rate PT can deal with, we're screwed?

So until this gets fixed, PT's "feature" of multiple video files is not really a feature. In my case it's only a feature when I'm lucky & PT decides frame rates match.

1) I'm using the "import video" menu option, not drag & drop (which is still bugged by not really importing the dropped video, but a video already in the session).
2) Frame rates most certainly match using FCP's "Analyze movie" (29.97 NDF NTSC)

Remember my proposed solution of having multiple video tracks, each of a different frame rate? Only one is ever active at one time anyway. It's not my favorite workaround, but anything is preferred to what I have to do now - delete EVERY video in my session.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Same video frame rate still won\'t import - too often any

I've had this problem as well.

Don't know what causes it but it seems like the session file is messed up somehow.

When the session file seems corrupt, it also won't import audio from QT files for some reason, and dragging a QT file into the session will result in the incorrect file in the PT session. Weird, I know but it has happened.

If I get that error message in a session and PT won't import video B in a session with video A, even tho I know the frame rate is the same, creating a new session will allow me to import both A and B into the same session w/o changing the video files at all.

Not the best fix, but there are ways around the problem.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:51 PM

I suppose it could be session related, but sometimes the same session will allow other video's to be imported, just not the one I need.

The other thing that is bogus about this scenario, is it happens even if the video isn't in the timeline. So PT can't even handle them being in the region bin. I have to remove the 1st video(s) from the session entirely.

Again, these are video's that FCP has produced (from the same preset - so are identical rates & formats), and they can be cut & pasted together in FCP or QT without any conversions. So does this mean PT has even stricter comparisons than actual video apps? If so, it needs to be loosened.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 PM

You have to remove the video from the region bin. If you delete the quicktime track, the file is still in the region bin.

Annoying, I know.