Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-31-2020, 06:25 AM

Default Midi tempo map question

I have a song with a midi drum part and i tempo mapped the song with a couple tempo changes. I recorded audio along with it. Now I want to change the tempo of a section in the middle. the problem is now that the audio recorded after that section no longer syncs with the midi. it's like bc i changed the tempo map the rest of the midi 'moved'. I'm not talking about the section i want to change. I know i have to re record the audio to the new tempo. I'm saying that all the audio after, that which was recorded to a tempo that has noT changed, no longer is in sync with the midi. how can i change a tempo but keep the non changed section in sync?
Old 08-31-2020, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Midi tempo map question

Before changing the tempo, I would cut the audio at the end of the tempo change section. Then change the tempo in the section you want to change. Last, move the cut audio into place to realign with the unchanged section.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-01-2020, 12:58 AM

If I understand you correctly, try this:

First return all the tempos to what they were before you made the tempo change (use a session backup file if necessary).
Then, put the audio track(s) into tick mode and enable Elastic Audio on all audio tracks. Choose polyphonic mode.
NOW you can adjust the tempos and the audio will follow.
You do not need to choose render mode since you are going to re-record the audio to the new tempo.

I do this all the time using my audio "scratch" tracks to establish section tempos before re-tracking the "official" audio to the established tempos.
So the slight amount of warble effect to the scratch tracks doesn't matter.

Be advised, PT has a MIDI bug that might affect your MIDI tracks when changing tempos across the timeline/grid.
MIDI notes can become misaligned so it is a good idea to zoom in and inspect your tracks.

If this is an issue in your particular session, the only workable solution would be to install PT 11.3.2 on another machine and do your tempo changes in version 11.3.2.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a song with a midi drum part and i tempo mapped the song with a couple tempo changes. I recorded audio along with it. Now I want to change the tempo of a section in the middle. the problem is now that the audio recorded after that section no longer syncs with the midi. it's like bc i changed the tempo map the rest of the midi 'moved'. I'm not talking about the section i want to change. I know i have to re record the audio to the new tempo. I'm saying that all the audio after, that which was recorded to a tempo that has noT changed, no longer is in sync with the midi. how can i change a tempo but keep the non changed section in sync?
Yes check out Elastic Audio as take77 says and if the audio has noticeable rhythmic transients look into Beat Detective. Plenty of tutorials on both on YT.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
If I understand you correctly, try this:

First return all the tempos to what they were before you made the tempo change (use a session backup file if necessary).
Then, put the audio track(s) into tick mode and enable Elastic Audio on all audio tracks. Choose polyphonic mode.
NOW you can adjust the tempos and the audio will follow.
You do not need to choose render mode since you are going to re-record the audio to the new tempo.

I do this all the time using my audio "scratch" tracks to establish section tempos before re-tracking the "official" audio to the established tempos.
So the slight amount of warble effect to the scratch tracks doesn't matter.

Be advised, PT has a MIDI bug that might affect your MIDI tracks when changing tempos across the timeline/grid.
MIDI notes can become misaligned so it is a good idea to zoom in and inspect your tracks.

If this is an issue in your particular session, the only workable solution would be to install PT 11.3.2 on another machine and do your tempo changes in version 11.3.2.
Do you find you lose the groove doing this?
By setting everything to a locked grid
Old 02-10-2021, 04:31 PM

I simply use this method to establish a more suitable tempo for my guitar tracks if my "off the cuff" jam tracks are a bit too fast for the vocal to breathe or allow the drums to push and pull.

So really vice versa.
By establishing the right tempo I can play my guitar parts with more groove.
1 tick can make a difference in enabling me to make the chord transitions smoothly and provide the right amount of sustain.
Once the tempo is right, I can ebb & flow RELATIVE to the grid.
The click may be absolute, but as a guitar player I weave in and out of it.

It's easy to get excited about a new part and initially record it too fast.
So instead of letting the scratch idea go to waste, I enable elastic audio and adjust the tempo while I sing along or envision the part.

If I have a vocal line already in mind, singing along is the ideal way to establish the best tempo for more "official" tracking for me.
When I can lilt & soar with the vocal without rushing the lines, I've found the "niche".
So this method is really all about establishing when "1" comes around.

Last edited by take77; 02-11-2021 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:08 PM

Audio tracks must be in TICKS mode for Elastic Audio to work for this(default is SAMPLES mode). Its the tiny blue clock(for Samples) or the green tiny metronome(for Ticks). Check the screen shot
Attached Images
File Type: png Ticks vs Samples.png (36.5 KB, 0 views)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave