Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2015, 03:46 PM

Default S6 Expand knobs

Loving the new expand zones, however am I missing something . If you enable this they seem to be on all the time, so if I'm finished eq' ing something for example and need to access my aux sends the only way I can see being able to do this is to disable expand in the surface config page..i'm sure I ' ve missed something..Also if I spill a VCA that has 20 faders nested within and I only have a 16 fader M-40 I can' t workout how to bank to the other 4 faders in the spill..Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
S6 32 Fader
32 Gb Ram
Old 09-16-2015, 05:01 PM

Default Re: S6 Expand knobs

Quote:
Loving the new expand zones, however am I missing something . If you enable this they seem to be on all the time
I don't think you've missed anything. For this reason, because I don't want to loose one of my 3 knob modules, I haven't yet found value in expand zones.

Quote:
I can' t workout how to bank to the other 4 faders in the spill
The Bank feature sort of needs to be "focused" to the zone of interest. Press the L Spill or R Spill button so that its led goes from blue to white. That is what tells the bank buttons which zone to bank. If neither is white then I believe the top layer (not a spill zone) will bank. One of Avid's recent videos about v2 software features helped me understand it better. I think video 17 or 18 here: http://apps.avid.com/webinars/2014/S...es/player.html
Old 09-17-2015, 10:56 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjerinepost2 View Post
Loving the new expand zones, however am I missing something . If you enable this they seem to be on all the time, so if I'm finished eq' ing something for example and need to access my aux sends the only way I can see being able to do this is to disable expand in the surface config page..i'm sure I ' ve missed something..
You are correct and its something I want to make more temporary in the future. The feature was originally designed for users who would buy dedicated modules for this (like the S5 CM402) In the meantime you could use single strip Expand, not the same I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjerinepost2 View Post
Also if I spill a VCA that has 20 faders nested within and I only have a 16 fader M-40 I can' t workout how to bank to the other 4 faders in the spill..Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
In V2.0 we added the Spill zones in addition to the dynamic spill. As postman says spill into these and then you can bank them.

FYI V2.0.1 has been released with 1 nasty bug fixed:
Bank to Selected Track goes to the wrong track (GWSW-8997)
Banking could sometimes go the wrong track when a session with more tracks than S6 channel strips included some hidden tracks, and
the S6 Banking preference for Bank to Selected was set to Always.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:18 PM

Thanks Eddie, good to know.
S6 32 Fader
32 Gb Ram
Old 09-17-2015, 01:53 PM

Oh sorry tanjerinepost2, I thought you were talking about spill into a defined spill zone that came with v2 software. You're right, a VCA spill to the left or right can only fill up as many faders as you have to the left or to the right and cannot be banked. I LOVE spill zones.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the thread guys, yes I also tried the expand zones and quickly turned them off again because it made the knob modules useless for anything else. On a system where you have only knob modules in full channel strips it doesn't really make sense unless you have enough faders that you are keeping the faders below permanently on VCAs or master busses. On a 16 ch 5 knob model like mine it doesn't make sense.

Eddie thanks for the info, I look forward to trying it with a new non-permanent expand zone to see if it makes more sense, in the meantime I'll happily stick with channel expand mode (which rocks by the way)!

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/