Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2015, 11:07 AM

Default Monitoring "stereo" inputs through Mbox Mini

I don't know if it's just a case of the stupids but this is something I've been living with from day one. My configuration is Mbox Mini>HP Laptop w/PT10>Event Project Studio 6 monitors. Whenever I plug in a 2 channel input such as a Boss Gt-001, POD, etc. I don't get a stereo out through speakers or cans, rather 2 channels in mono. Specifically, POD left and right outputs go to channel 1 and 2 respectively on the Mbox. Mic/Line buttons out. Once recorded in Pro Tools as a stereo track left and right are correct, it's just the monitoring part. I've reviewed all Hardware and Sounds settings in Win7, see nothing that directs me to a conclusion. My previous DAW had a breakout box with a UI that allowed configuration such as panning, levels, etc. Appreciate any assist, thanks.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Monitoring "stereo" inputs through Mbox Mini

Just to clarify; neither input 1 or 2 serve as left and right when trying a stereo-in hookup. Channel one plays through both speakers at equal volume. Channel two does the same. Despite the monitoring issue, inputs 1 and 2 track properly when recorded as a stereo track within Pro Tools. It sure would be nice to get stereo imaging through my speakers when tracking or just playing through POD or GT-001.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry O View Post
Just to clarify; neither input 1 or 2 serve as left and right when trying a stereo-in hookup. Channel one plays through both speakers at equal volume. Channel two does the same. Despite the monitoring issue, inputs 1 and 2 track properly when recorded as a stereo track within Pro Tools. It sure would be nice to get stereo imaging through my speakers when tracking or just playing through POD or GT-001.
I have a mini(3) and it's the same. If you want to hear your input in stereo you have to turn the mix knob to the right, set a low input buffer in prefs menu and monitor from your tracks in pro tools.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:44 AM

I do not mean to hijack the thread or anything, but I feel that my question might further shed light to the problem that you are experiencing as well.

I would assume this is also the case with the fast track duo? When I am monitoring my stereo outs from my akai mpc, the changes I made to my "mix" (for example panning a sound hard right or left) in the actual mpc are not apparent through direct monitoring mode. If I pan a snare hard left it is only just quieter and not actually panned through direct monitoring mode. Is this actually normal? I assume I have to actually track out in pro tools to hear my audio mixed in the box like I wanted?

I just want to make sure that this is normal and not a defect with my interface or anything.

Thanks and I appreciate any feedback!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
I have a mini(3) and it's the same. If you want to hear your input in stereo you have to turn the mix knob to the right, set a low input buffer in prefs menu and monitor from your tracks in pro tools.
Under any conditions I have tried, turning the mix knob fully right (P/B) excludes any inputs from the headphone and monitor mix. I guess without a user interface that has more controls than just the sample rate and buffer size it's not possible to have this function on the mini. As much as I'd like to utilize it as an audio interface that can operate independent of P/T (like monitoring any stereo input device such as a POD), I certainly wouldn't want to be slave to have channel 1 always left and 2 always right.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry O View Post
Under any conditions I have tried, turning the mix knob fully right (P/B) excludes any inputs from the headphone and monitor mix. I guess without a user interface that has more controls than just the sample rate and buffer size it's not possible to have this function on the mini.
It is possible.

-With the mix turned fully right (playback), Create a stereo audio track in a pro tools session
-Record arm the track
-Play your guitar, you should hear it and see levels on the track.
-if there is a big audible delay go to setup> playback engine> change h/w buffer size to 128 or 64 etc.. Whatever your computer can handle.
-if you are not hearing the guitar while playing back the session try hitting alt+k to toggle Input Only/Auto Input Monitoring (also in 'Track' menu)

This way you'll be hearing your input in stereo although you are hearing it after it has passed through pro tools which will add some delay but depending on what's going on in the session (lots of plugins, virtual instruments) it can be negligible. Obviously when using the mix knob to monitor you are hearing the input before going into pro tools which will have zero latency but be in mono.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:12 AM

Well, I discovered the reason why I'd get no playback with the mix button full to P/B (right). I navigated Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound>Recording Tab>right clicked Line 1/2 Avid Mbox Mini>Properties>Listen Tab and found "Listen to this device" unchecked. Once checked full pan to the right on the mix knob sends stereo monitoring through the speakers. However, the latency is so bad I find this unusable, even setting the Mbox to the lowest buffer size (actually both ends of the range seem to make little/no difference). The other oddity after checking "listen to this device" is that I no longer can change my sample rate(!?!).

I think I'm going to restore things as they were, live with direct monitoring in mono and call it a day. If anyone has any possible solutions regarding my latency issue I'd appreciate it. I've tried all the usual suspects like minimizing my USB device usage, removing hubs, etc. Something leads me to believe the latency issue is system related and not the Mbox. I just recently got a Boss GT-001 and when using the Boss Tone Studio suite I have the same latency issue.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:22 AM

The "listen to this device" is not what you want to use. That routes the incoming audio through the Mbox Mini MME driver, controlled by windows, and then back out. Like you discovered, it has high latency. It is independent of the input monitoring functions provided by the Mbox Mini.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:31 AM

Thanks Mesaone, that makes sense. I've previously had driver issues with the Mbox (a *fizz* followed by no audio, Pro Tools not finding device, etc.) and have uninstalled/reinstalled 2 or 3 times. I got to a point where I'm not sure what part may be hardware, driver or user error. I understand the concept of arming tracks in PT for proper monitoring, just find it hinky that as a stand alone audio input device on my desk top have no stereo input monitoring without launching P/T. Thanks all.